V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Morning all, curious if any motorheads have the same high idle duration on their 1.5 BS as do. If I leave my engine off for 10 minutes and restart the cold start idle programming kicks in, the duration is for approx. 30 to 60 seconds at 15-1800 rpm. Not an issue if I restart under 10 minutes of being off. The engine normally idles at or below around 900 normally.

Now I understand the sensors need to register adequate temperature and oil pressure before signaling the high idle dashpot (old school terminolgy) to disengage. Now days its more of a electro/mechanical/programming action than purely a mechanical action.

I'm one to always wait till low idle before engaging the transmission. It's a small issue but sometimes that 60 seconds of waiting for the rpms to drop below 1000 seems like 5 minutes. Just curious if anyone noticed this and if it's common across the board, if so than its baked into the programming. If not I'm curious if the idle idle dration can be adjusted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Don't have a 1.5, but I can say that the 2.0 does not have this issue, at least for me right now.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Morning all, curious if any motorheads have the same high idle duration on their 1.5 BS as do. If I leave my engine off for 10 minutes and restart the cold start idle programming kicks in, the duration is for approx. 30 to 60 seconds at 15-1800 rpm. Not an issue if I restart under 10 minutes of being off. The engine normally idles at or below around 900 normally.

Now I understand the sensors need to register adequate temperature and oil pressure before signaling the high idle dashpot (old school terminolgy) to disengage. Now days its more of a electro/mechanical/programming action than purely a mechanical action.

I'm one to always wait till low idle before engaging the transmission. It's a small issue but sometimes that 60 seconds of waiting for the rpms to drop below 1000 seems like 5 minutes. Just curious if anyone noticed this and if it's common across the board, if so than its baked into the programming. If not I'm curious if the idle idle dration can be adjusted.
Higher idle is trying to warm things up, so does driving. Letting the car sit and idle is only burning gasoline for no other real benefit. Of course, I don’t mean that you should put the pedal to the metal right away but driving normally is a benefit to warmup where idling doesn’t help things outside the engine warm up (like the transmission and differential).

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Higher idle is trying to warm things up, so does driving. Letting the car sit and idle is only burning gasoline for no other real benefit. Of course, I don’t mean that you should put the pedal to the metal right away but driving normally is a benefit to warmup where idling doesn’t help things outside the engine warm up (like the transmission and differential).
Yes, U are right, that is common knowledge, Warming an engine up is essential on cold starts. The issue is my vehicle is already at operating temperature. It takes 3 hours to cool down here in southern Florida, not 10 minutes. The oil pressure takes a few seconds to reach full pressure but not 60 seconds. The high idle is programmed for both temp and oil pressure.

Maybe I didn't clarify this adequately on my initial post. I am really fishing for information. 1. Is this a common event with other 1.5 engines. 2. Is it adjustable and if so how. I think it's an easy fix if in fact it needs a fix at all. It's more of a inconvenience waiting for it to idle down.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
When I start up, the engine goes into high idle, I fasten my seat belt, put it in gear and away I go. I hold the revs down until the engine has warmed up however.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Yep 1.5 high idle approximately 45 seconds, I don‘t shift into any gear until the idle comes down also. It is what it is.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
Our other car is a 2020 Outback - it idles at approx 1800 rpm for about 30-45 seconds on startup - I Googled about it and the info I found said that it is for emission reasons to warm the CAT up a bit quicker. You have to be careful putting it in gear if you try to drive off in that window. My Bronco Sport does not idle anywhere near that on start up - it seems much slower by comparison.
Sponsored