TrevAB

Big Bend
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
… in my parking lot??‍♂. I’m not too savvy with these things which is surprising as I grew up in northern Alberta. I really thought I wouldn’t have these issues with my Bronco. I've tried rocking it, changing tire positions, slippery drive mode, low, can't figure out how to lock in 4 wheel drive. So quite embarrassed. My vehicle savvy friends are all unavailable. Any hints, tips and/or tricks? Greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
… in my parking lot??‍♂. I’m not too savvy with these things which is surprising as I grew up in northern Alberta. I really thought I wouldn’t have these issues with my Bronco. I've tried rocking it, changing tire positions, slippery drive mode, low, can't figure out how to lock in 4 wheel drive. So quite embarrassed. My vehicle savvy friends are all unavailable. Any hints, tips and/or tricks? Greatly appreciated!
Stay home wait till ice and snow is gone

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yikes! I’m done with snow by this time in winter lol. Not sure on the bronco yet, but all I’ve ever done before is basically keep calm about it, & perhaps not so much rocking, as just driving forward & back. Attempting to pack down a harder snow path to drive on. Advancing a little each time, until you have enough packed down to get a bit of a run at it & a little momentum. If you have a shovel, taking some out in front of your tires might help. Then keep driving & don’t stop!

My neighbor got stuck on the road in the middle of our cul de sac a couple winters back. I pushed him until he could get enough momentum going then yelled at him to keep driving! Of course he didn’t hear what I said, so stopped again. Oops. I’m not generally a part of the winter tire brigade, but his little front wheel drive car got winter tires after that :D.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Stay home wait till ice and snow is gone
Yes, if it’s the parking lot at home, there’s no better way to beat the bad weather than to not go out in it if you don’t have to!

OP
OP
TrevAB

TrevAB

Big Bend
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes! I’m done with snow by this time in winter lol. Not sure on the bronco yet, but all I’ve ever done before is basically keep calm about it, & perhaps not so much rocking, as just driving forward & back. Attempting to pack down a harder snow path to drive on. Advancing a little each time, until you have enough packed down to get a bit of a run at it & a little momentum. If you have a shovel, taking some out in front of your tires might help. Then keep driving & don’t stop!

My neighbor got stuck on the road in the middle of our cul de sac a couple winters back. I pushed him until he could get enough momentum going then yelled at him to keep driving! Of course he didn’t hear what I said, so stopped again. Oops. I’m not generally a part of the winter tire brigade, but his little front wheel drive car got winter tires after that :D.
Thank you! Yes I’m doing what you said. Hoping for the best. I rent and don’t have a snow shovel??‍♂ . Normally this wouldn’t be such a difficult thing! Lol! But saw the forum and thought I would see!
Thanks again!

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
TrevAB

TrevAB

Big Bend
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, if it’s the parking lot at home, there’s no better way to beat the bad weather than to not go out in it if you don’t have to!
The weather is actually good; I didn’t set the scene properly. We had a huge dump of snow over the last week. Then Mother Nature warmed us up to +6 celcius. Parking lot was never cleared and there’s a thick layer of snow that’s slowly melting underneath. And super windy.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I don’t have until mid April unfortunately. Thanks for the helpful advice though!
Wow I hope we’re done with this sooner than 3 months from now! But then it’ll snow in May too… ?

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The weather is actually good; I didn’t set the scene properly. We had a huge dump of snow over the last week. Then Mother Nature warmed us up to +6 celcius. Parking lot was never cleared and there’s a thick layer of snow that’s slowly melting underneath. And super windy.
Ugh, good luck with it! Let us know when you make it out, hopefully you get some good advice. That’s about the worst conditions possible. Weather warms the underneath snow which then refreezes into an ice sheet. Dump snow on top of that & it’s just the worst!

OP
OP
TrevAB

TrevAB

Big Bend
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow I hope we’re done with this sooner than 3 months from now! But then it’ll snow in May too… ?
It definitely does snow in May more often than it should! LOL

• Sad

OP
OP
TrevAB

TrevAB

Big Bend
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh, good luck with it! Let us know when you make it out, hopefully you get some good advice. That’s about the worst conditions possible. Weather warms the underneath snow which then refreezes into an ice sheet. Dump snow on top of that & it’s just the worst!
Thanks! I thought vehicles like this were made not to get stuck?! ?. Well I’m going to abandon in it where it is; I’m front of the commercial garbage bin in my parking lot. Either I get lucky and it gets taken to the dump or I take it and shove it up the salesman’s arse! ??. I’m mostly kidding!

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Wow. I got stuck in my OB last week. 12 inches of snow. Drove like there was no snow for about 150 ft. until I tried to drive over a small berm left by a plow. Stopped dead. Only then did I realize my Sport had plowed the snow. She sat on packed snow. A bit of shoveling, switching from sand to slippery mode and I was on my way. The plowed part of the road was ice and snow.
I'm sad to hear yours left you stranded.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Push the 4WD and rear locker buttons, then turn off traction control. Put it in reverse and step on the gas a little. When the car gets as far backwards as it can go quickly step on the brake. Shift to drive and step on the gas a little. When the car stops moving forward quickly step on the brake. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually you will make a long enough rut/track you can get enough momentum on a forward run to pop out of the rut and get unstuck. Once out of the rut keep on the gas through the deeper stuff--wheel spin is ok here--until you get to a plowed area.

Of course, if the snow is deep enough to touch the bottom side of the car you're probably not going anywhere.

EDIT: As Magicbus notes, only the Badlands and First Edition have rear lockers.

Last edited: