johnnyoknows

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
At some point over the summer, these stubborn fingerprints appeared on the black mirrored part of my Bronco Sport. Pretty sure it was a friend who had freshly sprayed sunscreen and then opened the door. I can’t seem to get them off! I’ve tried using a sudsy car wash mitt with light pressure, and Windex too, but they aren’t budging.

Any recommendations to get these off? I’m afraid of using anything weird on the black mirrored part as I don’t want to scratch it or create those nasty swirls, but I’m at a loss here.

Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco Sport Help… I can’t get these spots off! D34175D2-4538-4C13-87F8-5D493CCC5DF5
Sponsored

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
If your still unsure maybe a stop at your local body shop and ask them for Help.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Alcohol pad? Just another suggestion. 😅

OP
OP
johnnyoknows

johnnyoknows

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks @atlsrt44 and @JAD67428 for your input. I've never used a clay bar but I will look into that option. I did think about stopping by my dealership and getting their recommendation, but maybe I won't need to now.

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
Isopropyl alcohol would be alright. do NOT try acetone.
Maybe a Cleaner wax type, it will have petroleum distillates in it, I just wouldn't keep it on for too long.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Sorry to say that your mirror black trim is already covered in swirl marks, clearly visible in your photo. These parts are pretty easy to buff to a mirror shine again, if you have a buffer. I would think that would take the hand print off. The other options (clay or alcohol) are easy to try but I doubt they will make a difference. I’m guessing whatever was on that hand has etched the surface and so there is nothing to clean off.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
since you suspect oily use a soap designed to cut grease. I'd Go Dawn, it gentle enough and no abrasives.

missOutsyder

Outer Banks
First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
At some point over the summer, these stubborn fingerprints appeared on the black mirrored part of my Bronco Sport. Pretty sure it was a friend who had freshly sprayed sunscreen and then opened the door. I can’t seem to get them off! I’ve tried using a sudsy car wash mitt with light pressure, and Windex too, but they aren’t budging.

Any recommendations to get these off? I’m afraid of using anything weird on the black mirrored part as I don’t want to scratch it or create those nasty swirls, but I’m at a loss here.

Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco Sport Help… I can’t get these spots off! D34175D2-4538-4C13-87F8-5D493CCC5DF5
My body work place that applied my ceramic coating, knows everything about this kind of stuff. I second going to one of those kinds of places and asking for advice. Good luck!

OP
OP
johnnyoknows

johnnyoknows

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
@AV99GT @Fossil Thanks for the suggestions, I just tried alcohol and Dawn and unfortunately no luck.

@Meanderthal I suspect you are probably right as anything I’ve tried doesn’t seem to get at the spot, it’s like the marks are embedded below the surface.

Probably going to take @missOutsyder advice and take it into a shop to see what they say.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
@AV99GT @Fossil Thanks for the suggestions, I just tried alcohol and Dawn and unfortunately no luck.

@Meanderthal I suspect you are probably right as anything I’ve tried doesn’t seem to get at the spot, it’s like the marks are embedded below the surface.

Probably going to take @missOutsyder advice and take it into a shop to see what they say.
If you were local, I’d offer to buff out all those black plastics and then you could apply a ceramic coating to keep them in top shape.

OP
OP
johnnyoknows

johnnyoknows

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
If you were local, I’d offer to buff out all those black plastics and then you could apply a ceramic coating to keep them in top shape.
I appreciate that! I will look into that option locally for sure.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I scrubbed hard with a wash rag and car soap. Scuffed it right up.
Not fixing it but showing people how cheap those corner plastic pieces are.
Ford does fall a bit with exterior plastics and paint.
I’ve never had a Ford or any other car chip this bad. Or have plastic pieces so soft they scuff from hand washing.
But it’s used now so I don’t mind it too much.
Now that I have a half dozen paint chips I’ll get my touch up pin I got from Ford out and work on them.
Sponsored