Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Manual book from Bronco Sport says not to use cover cuz you can damage the heated system by doing so. Should I strictly follow this and don't do it or they're just covering their butts?
Sponsored

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Manual book from Bronco Sport says not to use cover cuz you can damage the heated system by doing so. Should I strictly follow this and don't do it or they're just covering their butts?
Likely to protect yours.
Several posts on this forum mention heated seats get very hot in Bronco Sports.

OP
OP
Alistar

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Likely to protect yours.
Several posts on this forum mention heated seats get very hot in Bronco Sports.
It does gets hot! I've only used on the first level, second one already burs, haven't used the max.

Yes, I probably shouldn't do it for now. Thank you!

xlite

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It does gets hot! I've only used on the first level, second one already burs, haven't used the max.

Yes, I probably shouldn't do it for now. Thank you!
I can’t imagine it does any more damage then covering it with your body. When your sitting there your weight plus the fact you don’t vent would seem to be more of an overheating issue. Aren’t your clothes basically a cover between you and the seat? The cover may help vent it and your butt. Lol

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I can’t imagine it does any more damage then covering it with your body. When your sitting there your weight plus the fact you don’t vent would seem to be more of an overheating issue. Aren’t your clothes basically a cover between you and the seat? The cover may help vent it and your butt. Lol
Your body is a heat sink. Heat generated by the seat heater is conducted away from the heating element and into your body. If you put an insulator--like a seat cover--between the heating element and your body less heat transfers to your body. That heat is retained by the heating element. Is it enough to cause damage? It seems Ford believes so...

OP
OP
Alistar

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your body is a heat sink. Heat generated by the seat heater is conducted away from the heating element and into your body. If you put an insulator--like a seat cover--between the heating element and your body less heat transfers to your body. That heat is retained by the heating element. Is it enough to cause damage? It seems Ford believes so...
Yes, I'm adding another layer of insulator, but if I wear jeans, a jacket... clothes would affect more than a thin seat cover as long is not made by some flammable material. Isn't that right?

Thanks for your opinion, I'll probably wait and see if anyone has any problems with their covers.

OP
OP
Alistar

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That is my thinking too. I could be wearing really thick clothes and the manual doesn't say anything about it. This is literally the warning on the manual:

"âš  Do not place anything on the seat cover that blocks the heat, for example a seat cover or a cushion. This could cause the seat to overheat. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury."

They're not asking me to drive naked or not to use certain types of clothes. What's the difference in between clothes and a cover for the heat system?

Thanks for you opinion!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I'm adding another layer of insulator, but if I wear jeans, a jacket... clothes would affect more than a thin seat cover as long is not made by some flammable material. Isn't that right?
I guess it depends on the insulating qualities of the cover you use. Since it’s highly unlikely Ford expects owners to drive naked, the specification almost certainly accounts for the insulating properties of clothing. Based on the warning in the manual, the spec doesn’t account for clothing AND a seat cover. Is it likely Ford is simply engaging in a bit of CYA? Probably. But as you say, time will tell.

My advice is if you want a specific kind of seat covering have the original material removed and reupholster the seat the way you want. Or just don’t use the seat heater with a cover on the seat.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
You should also be aware that your seats have airbags in them, and covering them may interfere with their deployment.

As to the warning about the seat heaters, why question Ford? I’m guessing something happened at one point that made them say that. Why is so tough to just accept that the manufacturer knows more about its product than you?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As to the warning about the seat heaters, why question Ford? I’m guessing something happened at one point that made them say that. Why is so tough to just accept that the manufacturer knows more about its product than you?
I used the seat heater today for about 15 minutes on the way to a local trail. I had it set to high--it's a bit cold today! Since I was going for a walk I put my gloves under my thigh so they would be warm by the time I got to the trail. When I pulled the gloves out from under my leg the seat where they had been sitting was HOT. I don't think putting anything on the seats is a good idea if you plan to use the heaters.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I don't think putting anything on the seats is a good idea if you plan to use the heaters.
Exactly. The heaters were designed to work correctly on a bare seat.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I think the owners manual knows what its talking about. I would listen to it and not put on cushions.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
It may be the seat foam that gets damaged. Extra heat plus pressure may cause it to collapse or break down.
Sponsored