Full-size Spare Tire Doesn't Match Other Four?

schneid

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
armada
I purchased the option for my Outer Banks but was surprised the tire and wheel do not match the other four. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Larger but cheaper?

Edit:

The mounted four are Michelin 225/60 R 18's on fancy wheels and the one under the floor is a Continental 225/65 R 17 on a black steel wheel? Was a fast one pulled on me?

Ford Bronco Sport Full-size Spare Tire Doesn't Match Other Four? SpareTire
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
I purchased the option for my Outer Banks but was surprised the tire and wheel do not match the other four. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Larger but cheaper?
I have a Big Bend with the towing package, and it came with a full size spare that matches the size of the other tires. Reason I know this is I drove over a bolt and had to mount the spare and drive on it for a couple days. Checked the size and it matched.

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
I think that’s normal, over the years and including our current three vehicles have different make and models of tires Than what is on the vehicle. I think what counts is its the same size.

DeepSea

Outer Banks
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I think full size just means the tire diameter is the same so you’re not driving on a donut.

E229Lt

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2019 Expedition
17" spare is standard on the OB to fit the spare compartment.

OP
OP

schneid

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
armada
17" spare is standard on the OB to fit the spare compartment.
Confusing as the "full-size" tire was part of the $640 Class II Tow Package. See attached:

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I learned that the "full size" spare is not identical to the other ones...

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
It is still a full size spare, not a donut. There is a difference of 0.1" in diameter from the 225/60/18 to 225/65/17. I would much rather have it especially if I was off-road. If you're getting AT tires it would be a good idea to match the spare so you can get back to safety easily.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The best answer I've heard. So, it is what it is.
There are two safety considerations (that I can think of) for a spare tire:
  1. Will it damage the vehicle to use it?
  2. Do I have limitations on how I can drive the vehicle when using it?
Regarding number one, as long as the overall diameter matches the rest of the tires you can't hurt the vehicle using it. That's why the donut-style spare tires work. They are much much narrower than the normal tires, but they are the same diameter so they're safe to put on the vehicle. Since they are narrower, they have less traction and cannot dissipate heat like your normal tires,
so you must avoid hard cornering and limit your speed.

Regarding number two, assuming it's the correct size, is properly inflated, and that you are driving on paved surface, a full-size spare tire with the same overall diameter as the normal tires eliminates all the limitations that apply to the donut-style spare. Drive the vehicle as you normally would and get the normal tire repaired.

A spare that precisely matches the rest of the tires becomes much more important when off-road. For those who opted for all-terrain tires, your spare will not have the same tread pattern as your all-terrain tires, and the vehicle will lose traction at that corner with the spare installed.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Edit:

The mounted four are Michelin 225/60 R 18's on fancy wheels and the one under the floor is a Continental 225/65 R 17 on a black steel wheel? Was a fast one pulled on me?

Spare tire is full size.
Spare wheel is different.

Doesn't say matching wheel included.

That said.
to your comment about a matching spare...
The only spare wheel that sort of matches the vehicle's wheels are the upgraded steelies that sort of match the spare wheel...
but don't think those match in color

AltoBlue Broncie

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Sport
I just checked my 2022 Big Bend. I have the continental AT tire upgrade. I read how I can drop the floor without the full size spare. But having the tow package, I do unfortunately have the full size one.

To my surprise however the spare is a full on continental AT tire matching the other 4.

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
FWIW, my BS FE has 4 Faulkin Wild Peak, but the full size spare is a Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
Also, the wheel is the same size but doesn't match.

Ford Bronco Sport Full-size Spare Tire Doesn't Match Other Four? 20210828_173715

Ford Bronco Sport Full-size Spare Tire Doesn't Match Other Four? 20211206_164243
Sponsored