Fuel Stabilizer ???

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Searched the Forums first hoping this question had already been asked and answered. No luck. I'm leaving Monday Feb 12th for 12 weeks vacation in New Zealand and Australia. Started using non-ethanol gas three fill ups ago in my 2023 BS-BB. What are your recommendations for a Fuel Stabilizer to add to the fuel tank before I go. Stabil, Lucas, Seafoam or something else. I expect to return to a dead battery, since I live in an apartment complex and can't run a trickle charger out to the BS-BB. I will be hooking up a 13 watt solar charger, which I did for a 4 week trip to the Pacific Northwest, last September. But the vehicle still went into the hibernation mode after about two weeks. I'm hesitant to use the remote feature in the Fordpass App from the other side of the world, where I can't keep an eye on it.
Thanks for any fuel stabilizer advice you may have.

Michael
Sponsored

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Searched the Forums first hoping this question had already been asked and answered. No luck. I'm leaving Monday Feb 12th for 12 weeks vacation in New Zealand and Australia. Started using non-ethanol gas three fill ups ago in my 2023 BS-BB. What are your recommendations for a Fuel Stabilizer to add to the fuel tank before I go. Stabil, Lucas, Seafoam or something else. I expect to return to a dead battery, since I live in an apartment complex and can't run a trickle charger out to the BS-BB. I will be hooking up a 13 watt solar charger, which I did for a 4 week trip to the Pacific Northwest, last September. But the vehicle still went into the hibernation mode after about two weeks. I'm hesitant to use the remote feature in the Fordpass App from the other side of the world, where I can't keep an eye on it.
Thanks for any fuel stabilizer advice you may have.

Michael
I'd suggest disconnecting the battery for the duration of your vacation.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
had good results with all three products mentioned
seafoam seemed to have the added benefit of deposits removal
engines always "felt" to run smoother after the seafoam treatments
on the battery issue
just letting the charge go to zero is not gonna help the battery life
suggest to remove battery and place it in the apartment on a maintainer
leave some background classical music on
they like it
batteries, not sure why, but they do
besides, it'll drive the hippies nextdoor nuts
apply rodent proofing (if such a thing exists) measures
tape over the exhaust pipe
in sparkplugs stable bars of irish spring litter the engine compartment and cab
seems to be working
enjoy the vacation

OP
OP
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Thank you all for your input on fuel stabilizers. I think I will follow the advice to disconnect the battery while I am gone. But I'm going to just disconnect the negative cable and insulate it. Then connect my 13 watt solar charger across the battery terminals. Without the parasitic loads of the electrical system the solar charger should be able to maintain the battery. I looked in the Owners Manual and printed out the sections on replacing the battery, performing a Battery Sensor Reset, and then the Power Windows Bounce Back reset procedure.

Major Kong, the first 5 of my radio presets are classical stations from the areas I frequent. I'll give the Irish Spring soap bars a try. Thanks.

Michael

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I filled up a mnth before I left and I’m away from mine for 7 weeks for the third time. I never add anything to the fuel for such a short time. Now my boat that sits for 7 months gets a treatment of Yamalube.

BTW, don’t kill your battery, take a 10mm socket and remove the ground wire. Takes two minutes!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
forgot to mention
top off the fuel tank to avoid forming condensation in the void area
potential rust risk factor
This used to be an issue when fuel tanks were made out of metal. These days, pretty much all the components that comprise the fuel containment system are made from plastic and/or rubber. The risk of condensation is getting water in the fuel which might then freeze if temperatures get cold enough.

OP
OP
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Major Kong. Unfortunately the closet place I can find Non-Ethanol fuel is 40 miles away. I'll top off Sunday, but it won't be all the way full when I leave. But thanks for the suggestion and I was planning to do that already

Michael.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
We left a full 50 gallon tank on the houseboat for 3 years before we could get a new generator. The manager added Stabil every year and the gas was fine when we finally got the generator. I was amazed. I believe the marina sells non ethanol gas.

A can of moth crystals with a few holes punched in the lid will keep mice away.

In the RV world, people disconnect their batteries for the winter and leave them on the trailer. No problem. Adding the solar panel is even better. I use a solar panel on my F-250, which I seldom drive.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Major Kong. Unfortunately the closet place I can find Non-Ethanol fuel is 40 miles away. I'll top off Sunday, but it won't be all the way full when I leave. But thanks for the suggestion and I was planning to do that already

Michael.
Take a 5 gallon container with you, fill it, then use it (if necessary) to top off the tank when you arrive home.
Sponsored