Frankenstein lift idea

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
This is an idea I've had since HRG first let me know about their 2.5" lift kit and combines parts of that with Flatout coilovers and adds in an idea I've had about improving spring travel and articulation.

First, I will say, HRG is very easy to work with and Ben has confirmed he is willing to sell parts of his 2.5" lift kit separately. So the idea is to take the parts that are unique to the HRG lift kit and combine them with Flatout coilovers. The HRG parts, I'm thinking of, are the 1" front subframe drop and the brake line relocation parts, for the front and rear, though there may be more, that a better eye can identify, from his installation video or perhaps talking to him.

Second, the idea is not to make this a Super/monster lift of >3" but to maximize the lift, while still maintaining the better suspension geometry of a 1-1.5" lift. Flatout states their lift range is 1-3" and they have done a good job, at the rear, of correcting the resulting suspension geometry, with their 1.5" subframe drop and their Toe arm spacers but offer no front sub frame drop to mitigate the resulting suspension geometry of a 2.5-3" lift, though they do have both camber bolts and camber plates.

For any one who has witnessed or installed Flatout coilovers themselves you will know that the Brake lines are stretched to their max during the installation process and I envision HRG's Brake line kit helping with that.

Third, I still don't think Flatout has optimized suspension travel for a 2.5-3" lift, even though they have now, after my installation with 14" barrel front springs, on my Badlands, started to include them, on their badlands kits.
Maybe some explanation is necessary. The higher you lift the BS, with springs, of any given length, the more you compress them, thereby reducing their available bump travel, of the spring, while you are simultaneously increasing that of the shock. So, what is the solution to this problem? Longer springs! Though it adds a further complication, to the installation, I am suggesting, that if you are planning to lift your BS Badlands 2.5-3", you may want to get 16" barrel springs for the front and 14" for the rear. To that end, in order to give you the option of a 2.5" lift, with 16" springs, I'm suggesting you opt for a 175-185lbs front spring rate, as staying with Flatouts 200lbs front comfort spring rate would then mean a minimum ride height of 3", based on my installation with 14", 212lbs springs, in front and 12", 250lbs springs in the rear. The suggested 175lbs springs would also increase articulation in the front, a little, though these will never be articulation monsters, every little bit will help, off road. (Edit, If you have Flatout's newer front strut design, with the welded on end link mount, instead of the thread on mount, I have, I don't think a 16" spring will work for anything less than ~3" lift.

The further complication, You will now need to install the springs, on the front struts, with a spring compressors, as 14" is the longest that will go on them, without first compressing them. It gets a little worse in the rear, as to install the springs there, you would probably need to install them, on the car, while they are compressed. If opting for overload springs, in the rear, you would probably want to stay with 12" springs.

As I am wearing out the friendship of the person that has been installing my suspensions, for the last 20 years and works 60+ hours every week, I'm nominating and hoping @Meanderthal , will take up the gauntlet, I'm throwing down and tackle this with his usually great documentation, on his Olive build thread, as he is waiting for his coilovers to arrive.

I can also see the possibility of this being and add on kit that HRG or Flatout might be willing to sell, in some sort of collaborative effort or maybe just part of a further development by Flatout, of their setup, as they have continued to add items to their kit, since I was the first one to order one.

Ford Bronco Sport Frankenstein lift idea 1671725938430

HRG's Brake line relocation kit pics.
Ford Bronco Sport Frankenstein lift idea 1671725977330

Ford Bronco Sport Frankenstein lift idea 1671726015211
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
So, what exactly are you signing me up for? :blush:

One thing that comes to mind, if you are dropping the subframe in the front, what about the back? Maybe the half-shafts are long enough in the back that they can handle the extra angle versus the fronts?

I would be more than happy to install longer springs. I have a spring compressor set, so that would be relatively easy for me. Maybe we need @Flatout Suspension to join in the conversation here and talk about what is available.

I can see where a longer softer spring would be beneficial for articulation. I just don’t want to over stress the CV joints since this is my Daily Driver.

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, what exactly are you signing me up for? :blush:

One thing that comes to mind, if you are dropping the subframe in the front, what about the back? Maybe the half-shafts are long enough in the back that they can handle the extra angle versus the fronts?

I would be more than happy to install longer springs. I have a spring compressor set, so that would be relatively easy for me. Maybe we need @Flatout Suspension to join in the conversation here and talk about what is available.

I can see where a longer softer spring would be beneficial for articulation. I just don’t want to over stress the CV joints since this is my Daily Driver.
To Fully fledge this out you would need to drop the rear sub-frame with a drop kit from either Ford Ranger Lifts (1") , Flatout's 1.5" or what ever HRG has. (also 1.5") You would also want to spec the longer springs with your Flatout order. They may have their "House" branded barrel springs available in my suggested rates and lengths or they may not but they can get Hyperco's, Eibach's or Swift's, if not and you ask for them. Unfortunately, Hyperco is currently out of stock, on both (16"/175's back in stock as of 1/2/23), but I know Eibach has them at this time. Edit, Hyperco is expecting new stock possibly as early as 2/23 but possibly not until sometime in 3/23

Correction, Eibach is also out of their 14", 250lbs, Red Barrel springs as well. So, that only leaves Swift's for the rear now, which cost a little more, though I consider the 14" rear springs as the least important part of this project and I remember Hyperco saying something about some 1st quarter production happening but not what rates and lengths. There are a few other options, in Eibach's, if you are willing to go up or down by one rate, their 225lbs 14", Platinum Barrel springs or their 14", 275lbs Red Barrel springs, if you want to raise the load capacity, in the rear a little bit. Personally I'd mix brands of springs front and rear, to get the combination of rates and lengths I wanted but I'm not sure the combination of both a 14" spring and a higher rate would work. That is to say, this might mean you'd be looking at a 3" lift as a minimum, in the rear.

Also, from the standpoint of appearance, keep in mind, the front springs are visible form outside the car and the rears are not. As the name suggests, Eibach barrels are either Red or Platinum but Swift 14" springs are black, if I remember right and their 16" springs are Purple, I think they told me, with a part # ending in BP. Maybe it's a least a dark Purple? Also keep in mind that each companies individual retailers my have stock that doesn't show up on the Manufactures web site. I know I found some Hyperco's or Eibach's that way one time. I think, at this time, I'd go with Eibach's Platinum barrels up front, and Swifts 14", 250lbs black springs, in back.

This would relieve stress on the CV joints, in comparison to a >1.75" lift, without the sub-frame drops. If you go up to the suggested 2.5-3" lift, you will probably need the Flatout camber plates, which are a no cost option and their supplied camber bolts to get to the middle of the OEM alignment specs.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To Fully fledge this out you would need to drop the rear sub-frame with a drop kit from either Ford Ranger Lifts (1") , Flatout's 1.5" or what ever HRG has. You would also want to spec the longer springs with your Flatout order. They may have their "House" branded barrel springs available in my suggested rates and lengths or they may not but they can get Hyperco's, Eibach's or Swift's, if not and you ask for them. Unfortunately, Hyperco is currently out of stock, on both, but I know Eibach has them at this time.

This would relieve stress on the CV joints, in comparison to a >1.75" lift, without the sub-frame drops. If you go up to the suggested 2.5-3" lift, you will probably need the Flatout camber plates, which are a no cost option and their supplied camber bolts to get to the middle of the OEM alignment specs.
@Flatout Suspension seems to think that they cannot get the longer springs in a 175lb rate.

Okay, so if I do the front & rear subframe drops with whatever combination of parts, what would happen if I stuck with the springs that come in the GR-40 kit? I could always switch the springs out later if needed/wanted.

I’m wondering if I should have gotten the camber plates with my GR-40 order?

Flatout Suspension

Outer Banks
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flatoutsuspension.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX
@Flatout Suspension seems to think that they cannot get the longer springs in a 175lb rate.

Okay, so if I do the front & rear subframe drops with whatever combination of parts, what would happen if I stuck with the springs that come in the GR-40 kit? I could always switch the springs out later if needed/wanted.

I’m wondering if I should have gotten the camber plates with my GR-40 order?
*Can't get higher than 135lb in a 16" barrel spring from our supplier. In a traditional 16" 2.5ID, I can get up to a 275lb.

For Camber correction, I have camber plates because I wanted to test them out...they are at dead center, and I haven't even installed our camber bolt yet. Lifted 2.0" in front, I'm at -0.5" of camber which is about what I wanted. A camber bolt gives you +/- 1.75 degrees of adjustment. I'm hard pressed to point anyone towards the camber plate at the risk of some chatter when alignment is a breeze. At least in the 2-2.5" lift range so far.

As far as the collab with HRG, I'm friendly with them, ordered some stuff for other cars and I've been in talks with them to help me in other markets for camber correction. I'm sure me and Ben could do something if it was mutually wanted. We are competitors to some degree, but I'll work with almost anyone...I'd rather have friends than enemies.

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Can't get higher than 135lb in a 16" barrel spring from our supplier. In a traditional 16" 2.5ID, I can get up to a 275lb.

For Camber correction, I have camber plates because I wanted to test them out...they are at dead center, and I haven't even installed our camber bolt yet. Lifted 2.0" in front, I'm at -0.5" of camber which is about what I wanted. A camber bolt gives you +/- 1.75 degrees of adjustment. I'm hard pressed to point anyone towards the camber plate at the risk of some chatter when alignment is a breeze. At least in the 2-2.5" lift range so far.

As far as the collab with HRG, I'm friendly with them, ordered some stuff for other cars and I've been in talks with them to help me in other markets for camber correction. I'm sure me and Ben could do something if it was mutually wanted. We are competitors to some degree, but I'll work with almost anyone...I'd rather have friends than enemies.
I have updated/edited my previous post. You can get the springs in the suggested rates and lengths, From a combination of Eibach's and Swift's. From my motor sports background, I tend to stay away from camber bolts when possible, as they have been known to come loose under hard cornering loads, even when torqued properly (if you use them I'd put some Blue Thread locker on them) but the camber plates, as I mentioned in another thread, do add some micro vibrations in the steering, at least with my XL load rated Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's. What they would do with a less stiff tire, I don't know but increased NVH is a common complaint with any camber plate. The vibrations don't bother me but on smooth pavement it's noticeable. As to the alignment, on my Badlands and the camber plates maxed out, with a 1.675" lift so far, I'm at -.8* in front and no camber bolts installed, and that's right in the middle of the OEM range, so I would expect to need the bolts ,as well, for a 2.5-3" lift. I wouldn't expect just the bolts to get you to the middle of the range, with a 2.5-3" lift but they may get you to the low end of the OEM range and that might be good enough, if you are sensitive to micro vibrations, in the steering wheel.

@Meanderthal I'd at least get the 16", 175lbs front springs to start with, as the front will be a bigger PIA to get to later and they are the main advantage, in the optimization, of the 2.5"-3" Frankenstein lift, I'm suggesting.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I know you (@Flatout Suspension ) are not pressing toward the camber plates but I think it would be a good change for my order. Is there anything I need to do, other than asking here, to make that happen?

I know that I’m a long way from you guys, but I am willing to do the subframe spacers. If you wanted to use me/mine as a test mule. Doesn’t sound like you have the relationship really started with HRG but if it comes easy/quickly then we could take advantage here.

@Bluebaru can you post some links to the springs to keep me from fumbling around looking for them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you are not pressing toward the camber plates but I think it would be a good change for my order. Is there anything I need to do, other than asking here, to make that happen?

I know that I’m a long way from you guys, but I am willing to do the subframe spacers. If you wanted to use me/mine as a test mule. Doesn’t sound like you have the relationship really started with HRG but if it comes easy/quickly then we could take advantage here.

@Bluebaru can you post some links to the springs to keep me from fumbling around looking for them?
Eibach 16" Red Barrel https://eibach.com/us/i-94-eibach-xt-barrel-spring-extreme-travel.html

Eibach 16" Platinum Barrel, https://eibach.com/us/i-10823-eibach-platinum-barrel-spring.html

Swift Springs https://www.swiftsprings.com/products/standard-coilover-springs/

Hypreco UHT Springs https://www.hypercoils.com/shop/uht-coilovers?page=1&configure[filters]=category:"Ultra High Travel UHT" AND NOT variant.enabled:"false"&configure[hitsPerPage]=500&configure[distinct]=0&refinementList[insideDiameter_standard][0]=2.5&range[freeLength_standard][min]=13.572000000000001&range[deflection_standard][min]=9.458

Eibach PH# 1-800-507-2338
Swift PH# 1-909-507-2338
Hyperco 1-800-365-2545 or [email protected]

You will have to go to their individual web sites or ask them about who their distributers are. If you give me the exact combination you are looking for,, color rate and length I will search their distributers, for them but most likely if it's not one I've linked to above, I probably won't be able to find them, but if it's important to you, I'll do it,

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eibach 16" Red Barrel https://eibach.com/us/i-94-eibach-xt-barrel-spring-extreme-travel.html

Eibach 16" Platinum Barrel, https://eibach.com/us/i-10823-eibach-platinum-barrel-spring.html

Swift Springs https://www.swiftsprings.com/products/standard-coilover-springs/

Hypreco UHT Springs https://www.hypercoils.com/shop/uht-coilovers?page=1&configure[filters]=category:"Ultra High Travel UHT" AND NOT variant.enabled:"false"&configure[hitsPerPage]=500&configure[distinct]=0&refinementList[insideDiameter_standard][0]=2.5&range[freeLength_standard][min]=13.572000000000001&range[deflection_standard][min]=9.458

Eibach PH# 1-800-507-2338
Swift PH# 1-909-507-2338
Hyperco 1-800-365-2545 or [email protected]

You will have to go to their individual web sites or ask them about who their distributers are. If you give me the exact combination you are looking for,, color rate and length I will search their distributers, for them but most likely if it's not one I've linked to above, I probably won't be able to find them, but if it's important to you, I'll do it,
When it comes to defining the spring, I’m guessing that you picked the 16” 175 lb rate springs because they have a load rating close to 2000 lbs, which is similar to a 14” spring with a 212 lb rate, but a little softer (maybe 100-200 lbs)?

Given what you posted, the Eibach Platinum and the Hyperco seem to be the 2 options I narrowed it down to.
Sponsored