Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
7 weeks now with my Badlands... and purchased the prepaid regular maintenance plan. The one I got was for the earlier of 5 years or 75,000 miles... 10 services. Using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend here in the south Texas heat, I plan to change oil every 5,000 miles. I figure this will help with the "in solution" contaminants. Unfortunately, the dealer says this will reduce my prepaid maintenance schedule to only 50,000 miles. Ten visits is the "firm" ending to the plan! I was thinking "all covered for the "5 year or 50,000 mile" time period. My fault in not researching this better with the Finance Manager. Now I'm not sure I'll get my money's worth. At least I am covered for inflation, if their service costs go up during my contract!
Sponsored

Jenbeth

Outer Banks
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving the Husband’s F-150
7 weeks now with my Badlands... and purchased the prepaid regular maintenance plan. The one I got was for the earlier of 5 years or 75,000 miles... 10 services. Using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend here in the south Texas heat, I plan to change oil every 5,000 miles. I figure this will help with the "in solution" contaminants. Unfortunately, the dealer says this will reduce my prepaid maintenance schedule to only 50,000 miles. Ten visits is the "firm" ending to the plan! I was thinking "all covered for the "5 year or 50,000 mile" time period. My fault in not researching this better with the Finance Manager. Now I'm not sure I'll get my money's worth. At least I am covered for inflation, if their service costs go up during my contract!
How much was the service plan? I’m still “In Production.”

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I did a $300 package from the dealer for 8 oil changes (and tire rotations but I use Discount Tire for that), I choose the interval. Figured that was a no brainer since most places are now 50-70 an oil change and it not like it's getting any cheaper. did my first one today at 5500 miles. I did a 7 year 100000 mi ESP through Granger but that doesn't do regular maintenance (and I'm in tx lol)

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
How much was the service plan? I’m still “In Production.”
I paid about $1800 for mine, it's 84 months, all scheduled maintenance. Here's Ford's site for it. Knowing how I think, I'm way more likely to get the maintenance done as I've already paid for it. I probably got screwed and should have called around to different dealerships, but I was fairly worn down at the point of decision.

WABeaverFan

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GMC Terrain
My dealership advertises that a 2-year premium maintenance package (and a lifetime warranty) is included with your purchase. However, I swear that they were offering a 4-year package when I ordered in January. I don't have any documentation of that so hoping my salesman is honest about that when I take delivery (hopefully next week!).

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealership advertises that a 2-year premium maintenance package (and a lifetime warranty) is included with your purchase. However, I swear that they were offering a 4-year package when I ordered in January. I don't have any documentation of that so hoping my salesman is honest about that when I take delivery (hopefully next week!).
Included at what price though...

WABeaverFan

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GMC Terrain
Included at what price though...
That's the million dollar question! Their website is pretty straightforward, advertising price protection, no ADM, no cost lifetime warranty and maintenance package, incentives available at the time of order OR time of purchase, etc. You can bet I have taken screenshots of all of it and tucked those into my folder to take with me when I finally take delivery.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the million dollar question! Their website is pretty straightforward, advertising price protection, no ADM, no cost lifetime warranty and maintenance package, incentives available at the time of order OR time of purchase, etc. You can bet I have taken screenshots of all of it and tucked those into my folder to take with me when I finally take delivery.
Kind of wish I went to your dealership! Mine supposedly won the dealer of the year award for the state from dealerrater, but my experience was less than stellar. Maybe I'm just that picky.

WABeaverFan

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GMC Terrain
Kind of wish I went to your dealership! Mine supposedly won the dealer of the year award for the state from dealerrater, but my experience was less than stellar. Maybe I'm just that picky.
I don't think it's asking too much for a dealership to provide an honest, straightforward buying experience! So far, mine has been great...I just hope that continues through this final stretch. Here are their awards from their website. Looks like yours dethroned mine for Dealer of the Year (which concerns me based on your experience!).

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's Prepaid Scheduled Maintenance Plan - changing oil earlier 1656688702068

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's asking too much for a dealership to provide an honest, straightforward buying experience! So far, mine has been great...I just hope that continues through this final stretch. Here are their awards from their website. Looks like yours dethroned mine for Dealer of the Year (which concerns me based on your experience!).

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's Prepaid Scheduled Maintenance Plan - changing oil earlier 1656688702068
This will be the 4th or 5th vehicle I've bought from this dealership, but the first brand new one. My previous dealings with them have been fine as either I really needed a vehicle and they made sure I got one, or I was (again) stroking a check for the price I offered or going elsewhere. I think me going in with vastly more information (this vehicle is nearly 4X what I've paid for any other) probably allowed me to see things I would have missed before. It could have been better if they had just been honest when answering my questions.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
This will be the 4th or 5th vehicle I've bought from this dealership, but the first brand new one. My previous dealings with them have been fine as either I really needed a vehicle and they made sure I got one, or I was (again) stroking a check for the price I offered or going elsewhere. I think me going in with vastly more information (this vehicle is nearly 4X what I've paid for any other) probably allowed me to see things I would have missed before. It could have been better if they had just been honest when answering my questions.
What did they mislead you about?

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did they mislead you about?
They repeatedly told me information on the VVR doesn't exist. My main salesman said my BS would be loaded on a second railcar and taken to a railyard that doesn't even have autoramps. Dumb crap like that. They lied when it would have been easier to just tell the truth or say they didn't know. At the time of sale they tried to play ignorant about price protection. Through the whole process it was obvious they are accustomed to having a great information advantage over over customers. The seemed used to just making stuff up and having customers not know any better. I asked specific questions to receive information I know they had access to, and they lied, got defensive, and even tried to claim some kind of authority for working there. They'll have to learn how to operate in this new information saturated environment.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They repeatedly told me information on the VVR doesn't exist. My main salesman said my BS would be loaded on a second railcar and taken to a railyard that doesn't even have autoramps. Dumb crap like that. They lied when it would have been easier to just tell the truth or say they didn't know. At the time of sale they tried to play ignorant about price protection. Through the whole process it was obvious they are accustomed to having a great information advantage over over customers. The seemed used to just making stuff up and having customers not know any better. I asked specific questions to receive information I know they had access to, and they lied, got defensive, and even tried to claim some kind of authority for working there. They'll have to learn how to operate in this new information saturated environment.
That sounds eerily familiar.

We were lied to repeatedly -- told multiple times that we would have to pay any MSRP increases.

Then when we went to pick it up we were told -- several times -- that our BS did not qualify for the $1,000 order credit. They kept insisting it didn't even though the offer had been in effect since before we orderd. I had to find a Ford page on my phone that showed the credit before they dropped it. And then they did not even look at my phone! It was as if they were just f'ing with us. They knew damn well the credit applied, they just wanted to make us prove it.

Really stupid stuff.

Then we had FordPass pushed on us. It wasn't until we got home that I saw that FordPass collects all sorts of potentially incriminating/warranty voiding info:

* Speed
* G-forces from acceleration; braking; and cornering
* Audio recorded while 'voice control' is being used
* The type of road surfaces you drive on
* Location and direction -- of particular concern to women

I realize some people flat-out don't care about any of that, and that's fine. I don't intend to start a debate. All I'll say is that if Ford is going to collect data it should be opt-in.

In short, after our experience, yours, and others I've read or heard about, I'm honestly left wondering about the culture at car dealerships. We all know lying, cheating, and stealing is wrong -- but of course people routinely do all of the above. What I don't understand is when people lie when there is no need, nothing to be gained. As you said:

"They lied when it would have been easier to just tell the truth or say they didn't know."

Of course the term for a person who engages in that behavior is "pathological liar".

My theory is that most people are not pathological liars when they apply for the job, but over time the dealership's culture changes them.

If they keep acting that way, they will force mfr direct to consumer sales.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In short, after our experience, yours, and others I've read or heard about, I'm honestly left wondering about the culture at car dealerships. We all know lying, cheating, and stealing is wrong -- but of course people routinely do all of the above. What I don't understand is when people lie when there is no need, nothing to be gained. As you said:

"They lied when it would have been easier to just tell the truth or say they didn't know."

Of course the term for that behavior is "pathological liar".

My theory is that most people are not pathological liars when they apply for the job, but over time the dealership's culture changes them.

If they keep acting that way, they will force mfr direct to consumer sales.
I just got another notice from Ford to fill out the survey, but I don't want my service experience to suffer if I'm honest. Ultimately they honored both the MSRP at the time of order (I know it's a good deal for the dealer, and I offered to pay it because I'm paying to avoid the bull shit!), and they honored the incentive in effect at the time of the order, but both of those happened because I brought documentation provided by Tim Bartz. That being said, I WAS LIED TO REPEATEDLY! That has to matter. I don't know any way for them to be help accountable and forced to change any other way.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got another notice from Ford to fill out the survey, but I don't want my service experience to suffer if I'm honest. Ultimately they honored both the MSRP at the time of order (I know it's a good deal for the dealer, and I offered to pay it because I'm paying to avoid the bull shit!), and they honored the incentive in effect at the time of the order, but both of those happened because I brought documentation provided by Tim Bartz. That being said, I WAS LIED TO REPEATEDLY! That has to matter. I don't know any way for them to be help accountable and forced to change any other way.
Yeah, I'll admit that future service was/is a concern for me. After all, we could have saved about $3,500 if we bought from Granger (in hindsight we probably should have) but I wanted to avoid the many hassles I've had over the decades when trying to get warranty work done at a dealer that did not sell the vehicle.

So when it came to the survey, I just ignored it. Any Ford employees reading this? If you *really* want to know what people think, any survey must not be shared with the dealership -- or if they are, they should be anonymized.

That said, I have a review already written and ready to post after my current business with the dealer is complete. I do plan to edit it, because in fairness I want to say that the after-sale treatment was pretty good. They got us the dash panel and Curt shackle hitch receiver. The head restraints are allegedly on their way. The sales manager is in touch with Ford trying to get us our FordPass points.

It's the sales process -- the stuff I posted above -- that bothers me (a lot). So my review will have the good and the bad. It'll be posted on Dealer Rater; the BBB website; Yelp; Google, etc.

I hope that posting an honest, balanced review does not put me on some 'enemies list'. I would think that the GM would understand that his employees cannot tell bald faced lies without repercussions. It's the dishonest employees who are at fault, I'm just the messenger.

I'll probably lead with the good stuff, but I have to include the bad. Potential buyers need to be warned about what they might experience.

Of course it's possible that not all of the employees are the same. Another person dealing with a different salesperson might have an entirely different experience.

What I've heard over the years is that 'sales' and 'service' are almost like two separate businesses. If so, then even if someone in service sees my review, they may not care. In fact, they may laugh because it sounds so familiar.
Sponsored