SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Any of you familiar with the "Appearance Shield" applied at the dealership? I bought it cause I was told it was supposed to offer some protection from from a bunch of different normal every day wear and tear from weather and road wear. What is it exactly? I've only hand washed my Badlands TWICE and I'm noticing these little...abrasions? I'm not even sure that's what I should call it. It only seems to show up on the black plastic shiny pieces and I'm wondering if this is the nature of these plastic pieces, or shotty application of the appearance shield and make Ford reapply it. Anyone familiar with this option I added? I did it because all the paint issues that have been popping up on here I thought it would be a cheaper solution to having it wrapped or other 1k+ options.

One pic shows how it appeared on my dealer invoice for clarification.

A few of these I noticed right away after taking it home, BUT the one pic in particular that is of the front black bar that connects to the windshield. I noticed that one after pressure washing it last night.

You'll notice in one of the pics that I tried rubbing at the abrasion with my finger and it seems to have smeared. It's not a sticky substance.

I just don't know what to make of this. Is it the shield? Or the plastic? I've used only a microfiber scrubbing mitt to wash it, and microfiber towels to hand dry it. I've also noticed these black plastic pieces already have swirl patterns on the surface...which is bullshit since I've been very careful about washing and drying it. If this kinda thing is inevitable, I'm not bothering with the labor and running it thru a normal conveyor car wash.

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_104322

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_104238

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_104209

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_104131

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_104104

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_101016

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? 20210529_100744

Ford Bronco Sport Ford's appearance shield? Screenshot_20210529-105302_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Those swirl patterns could very well be from your hand washing mits. Especially if you are just noticing them after you have washed it personally. Those pictures make the residue look obvious. I even see that residue on the glass so it looks like maybe sap or something got splattered.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'd agree with Marvin it does look LIKE sap or some sort of gummy residue. It could be from the finish product they applied. The best bet to be sure is to take it to the dealer. From a cleaning standpoint, make sure you wash/replace/protect washing mitts/brooms. I have three, one for the body, one for glass, and a cheap sponge for wheels, rims, wheel well to avoid dirt contamination. I wash them pretty regularly with my towels to make sure they don't scratch the paint. Also helps to wash linear instead of karate kid wax on wax off...if that helps. Meguires makes a scratch-removing paste that does a good job cleaning up small marks like that. I'd still confirm with your dealer first.

OP
OP
SilverVVolf

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow...uhh, I just went out and gently took some goo gone to all the places I'm seeing it and it took it right off...And I've figured out what happened. There are white cardboard shields that are on those plastic pieces when they ship them from the factory and it must've been the adhesive residue from those when they removed them, washed it, and gave it to me. It was just left over.

That said the black bar by the windshield was new so that's kinda strange that it showed up last night, but came off immediately.

So for now, I guess false alarm? We'll see. Have a few more spots to check.

That also doesn't really solve the mystery of what I paid 600+ dollars for. Or maybe just the paint. I'm gonna call em'.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Wow...uhh, I just went out and gently took some goo gone to all the places I'm seeing it and it took it right off...And I've figured out what happened. There are white cardboard shields that are on those plastic pieces when they ship them from the factory and it must've been the adhesive residue from those when they removed them, washed it, and gave it to me. It was just left over.

That said the black bar by the windshield was new so that's kinda strange that it showed up last night, but came off immediately.

That also doesn't really solve the mystery of what I paid 600+ dollars for. Or maybe just the paint. I'm gonna call em'.
sweet at least it was a simple fix. I wouldn't say the extra fees were worthless, maybe that's why the goo gone took it right off? I'd say your observation was a good thing, still a lot of learning with these new cars and new options. I have read with new paint you no longer need to wait for paint cure to wax it...I'm still holding out for at least a month just to be sure. I did not pay for any extra care, I am pretty religious when it comes to wash and wax. I know I'm doing it right when neighbors joke about concern for my wellbeing if the car looks dirty. Doesn't hurt to ask your dealer, though I'd guess he.she will say yeah that's just residue and the coating did it's job. I'd say anyone posting stuff like this helps bronco owners as a whole. You certainly aren't the first, and won't be the last.

MiHusker

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Energi, Bronco Sport Outer Banks

Based on your description, it sounds like it is this:

https://www.kornerstoneadmin.com/home/products/shield-protection/

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
If it was from any shipping protection one would have expected that the dealer would have removed them and cleaned the goo before applying any “shield” or the shield would have been overtop the goo.

OP
OP
SilverVVolf

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
If it was from any shipping protection one would have expected that the dealer would have removed them and cleaned the goo before applying any “shield” or the shield would have been overtop the goo.
Exactly. I kinda think they didn't apply anything. I'd been in there for hours and was needing to get back for dinner and they said it took an hour to apply and when I inquired they brought it back in about 20 mins... suspect.

OP
OP
SilverVVolf

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Agreed and I'd take the pics as proof they either
A) lied about application and socked you $700
B) they did a crap prep job and should make it right. Either way you were hosed.

OP
OP
SilverVVolf

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Agreed and I'd take the pics as proof they either
A) lied about application and socked you $700
B) they did a crap prep job and should make it right. Either way you were hosed.
I think you're right... They'll fix it tho. Believe that.
Sponsored