Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Some here on the forum have warned about all the data collected and shared by your vehicles via the FordPass App. While it IS concerning, there are benefits for consumers as well.

Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
That's a really long, drawn out story with a pretty extreme example. The only reason the car reported is that the 4th party shop didn't unhook the battery first. The only reason FordPass is part of the story is that the owner was watching the app. I think in general the connectivity is a net loss for the consumer. In this case, they discovered a really bizarre and rare happening with their vehicle. On the other end, everyone that uses ForScan for anything gets reported to Ford HQ by the same tracking computers. Can't do that stuff without the battery connected and Ford sees all you've tinkered with. It's not for your benefit whether you fib or not, it is only for them to use against you when you have any kind of issue. Unlike the app, you can't opt out on that stuff.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
On the other end, everyone that uses ForScan for anything gets reported to Ford HQ by the same tracking computers. Can't do that stuff without the battery connected and Ford sees all you've tinkered with. It's not for your benefit whether you fib or not, it is only for them to use against you when you have any kind of issue. Unlike the app, you can't opt out on that stuff.
All true, and a good reason not to muck with things that might result in vehicle damage when still under warranty. Once you're out of warranty then it doesn't really matter too much to me what Ford sees.

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I don’t see a downside to FordPass. The only things they see that I didn’t give them when I bought my BS is how I drive and where I am, and I don’t care if they see that. As for using ForScan and then going in for warranty work, that’s akin to fiddling with your PC BIOS and whining to the manufacturer that your disk drive won’t work. I would expect Ford to reset your settings to factory before doing any diagnostics.
Sponsored