Frank Goss

Base
First Name
FRANCIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RANGE ROVER SPORT PORSCHE 911S CAB
There was a post and someone found the 40Amp trailer lighting fuse in and traced to behind glove box but dead ended with a 10AWG . on a base sport. If anyone installed a hitch and Ford $125 wire trailer power module for 4 pin wiring, I wonder if I can get away with a power wire I found in rear quarter panel but it is 16 AWG. KIT has12 AWG red power to battery but tow limit is 2000 and no brakes required on trailer.

It is reported that a 17 AWG wire is rated at 17 AMP at 0 feet, but at 15 feet length will lose say 45% so that still leaves say 9 Amps at rear quarter panel and should be on 10 Amp fuse.

Will that 16 AWG power wire work for me, instead of taking apart the whole left side floor molding on a new sport and I dont like to wire power line directly to battery without a shut off when I am not running engine, may kill battery by draining over time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Frank Goss

Base
First Name
FRANCIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to ad $125 Ford trailer wire kit power module says 7Amp or 4.2Amp per brake/turn circuit thats 8.4 Amps maximum. Halogen bulb is 1.6 Amps. so 4 is 6.4Amps all under 7 Amp rating.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There was a post and someone found the 40Amp trailer lighting fuse in and traced to behind glove box but dead ended with a 10AWG . on a base sport. If anyone installed a hitch and Ford $125 wire trailer power module for 4 pin wiring, I wonder if I can get away with a power wire I found in rear quarter panel but it is 16 AWG. KIT has12 AWG red power to battery but tow limit is 2000 and no brakes required on trailer.

It is reported that a 17 AWG wire is rated at 17 AMP at 0 feet, but at 15 feet length will lose say 45% so that still leaves say 9 Amps at rear quarter panel and should be on 10 Amp fuse.

Will that 16 AWG power wire work for me, instead of taking apart the whole left side floor molding on a new sport and I dont like to wire power line directly to battery without a shut off when I am not running engine, may kill battery by draining over time.
17 Gauge wire is rated at around 15-1/2 amps continuous and it won't lose half at 15 feet. I won't work the numbers but worst case perhaps an amp or 2.

https://learnmetrics.com/wire-gauge-chart-amp-wire-sizes/

OP
OP

Frank Goss

Base
First Name
FRANCIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gary at Gary Yoeman Ford stated the 16ga would be fine for a 7 Am trailer power module. Electric brakes would require heavier wire say 12AWG. THANKS
Sponsored