Bronclahoma

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
After the initial demand dies down then what? Remember the "retro' T-Bird. Huge hype, Car of the Year, MSRP+ and then gone in a few years. The return of the Ford 500...

Like said above depreciation is a killer. When the list of most depreciated vehicles comes out and the 2021 BS is near the top and that turns buyers away in model years three and four. By then there likey will be competitors that will bleed away sales. Ford might then be boo-hooing at lack luster sales like they did about the retro bird and it could be cancelled in just a few years.

Otoh, I expect the base model to become a darling of the rental car fleets. That will boost sales numbers but may not lead to much sales floor traffic as driving the base model as a first impression might not be the best impression for potential buyers.

I hope Ford figures this out and comes out of this in good shape.
I know some fleet managers are looking at BS for company cars, but they aren't available and there is a rumor that Ford will drop their fleet program next year. GM's is anemic. If that happens Ram may pick up fleet buyers.. They have never been strong in this market. If that happens Ford won't get all those customers back if they fix their problem. I''ve never liked auto stocks and still don't. Ford has taken a $50bil hit to income this year and they haven't shown that they know how to fix their dilemma. Relying on foreign suppliers and the government to fix your problem is a losing game.

Advertisement

Reactions: Jrl

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS AREA 51
I know some fleet managers are looking at BS for company cars, but they aren't available and there is a rumor that Ford will drop their fleet program next year. GM's is anemic. If that happens Ram may pick up fleet buyers.. They have never been strong in this market. If that happens Ford won't get all those customers back if they fix their problem. I''ve never liked auto stocks and still don't. Ford has taken a $50bil hit to income this year and they haven't shown that they know how to fix their dilemma. Relying on foreign suppliers and the government to fix your problem is a losing game.
Defending Ford, all the manufacturing played the overseas, as built supply model. And particularly with chips, it takes time to start a new plant to process chips. Shame on Ford and others for buying into the tax breaks and incentives to move jobs overseas 12 years ago. Paying the price for those breaks now. I'd guess the Maverick is aimed at the fleet truck market. Time will tell.

* Found this relevant info on Bronco6G
June 1 (Reuters) - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC) has started construction at a site in Arizona where it plans to spend $12 billion to build a computer chip factory, its chief executive said on Tuesday.

Speaking at the company's annual technology presentation to clients and investors, held online for the second straight year because of the pandemic, CEO C.C. Wei said the planned factory remains on track to start volume production of chips using the company's 5-nanometer production technology starting in 2024.

How they manage the drop and finish (selected excerpt from a dealer with Ford)

We signed up for this program. Our FSE said the chips are for different modules. Dealers would be shipped the modules when they are built and we install and program like any other module replacement. This is not a matter of getting the Weller out with a magnifying glass and trying to stick logic chips on a board. These are completed parts that weren't installed, no big deal.

We can't show, sell, drive, nothing. In normal times once they hit the transport they are on our books/floorplan. Ford still owns these until we complete the installation, programming and they verify all is GTG, then they will release the hold. Supposedly they are going to give us some $$ for upkeep while they're here.

Last edited:

ZeroCool

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Defending Ford, all the manufacturing played the overseas, as built supply model. And particularly with chips, it takes time to start a new plant to process chips. Shame on Ford and others for buying into the tax breaks and incentives to move jobs overseas 12 years ago. Paying the price for those breaks now. I'd guess the Maverick is aimed at the fleet truck market. Time will tell.
PRESS BIG LIKE BUTTON HERE

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
How they manage the drop and finish (selected excerpt from a dealer with Ford)
We signed up for this program. Our FSE said the chips are for different modules. Dealers would be shipped the modules when they are built and we install and program like any other module replacement. This is not a matter of getting the Weller out with a magnifying glass and trying to stick logic chips on a board. These are completed parts that weren't installed, no big deal.

We can't show, sell, drive, nothing. In normal times once they hit the transport they are on our books/floorplan. Ford still owns these until we complete the installation, programming and they verify all is GTG, then they will release the hold. Supposedly they are going to give us some $$ for upkeep while they're here.
Thanks for posting the info on Ford's plan. While I knew any field fitting would be at the module level vs. the component level, I figured they would need the final as-built modules in place for the final QC checks. Perhaps the "zombie modules" will be used for that phase too.
I've been away from the mass-production automotive manufacturing world for a while, the stuff I've worked with more recently is subject to stringent regulatory control, with cradle-to-grave accountability and configuration management for all the components. I was likely over zealous with my concerns as noted by several. Hopefully, this field-fitting methodology will work well in this case. Who knows, maybe the dealership techs will note and correct other issues in this process.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS AREA 51
Thanks for posting the info on Ford's plan. While I knew any field fitting would be at the module level vs. the component level, I figured they would need the final as-built modules in place for the final QC checks. Perhaps the "zombie modules" will be used for that phase too.
I've been away from the mass-production automotive manufacturing world for a while, the stuff I've worked with more recently is subject to stringent regulatory control, with cradle-to-grave accountability and configuration management for all the components. I was likely over zealous with my concerns as noted by several. Hopefully, this field-fitting methodology will work well in this case. Who knows, maybe the dealership techs will note and correct other issues in this process.
I think it's a fair concern. Like anything, one tech can be highly trained and qualified. Are you going to find that same level of service and training in a smaller community/dealership? A lot of balls in the air, but they need a solution, and this seems to check a lot of boxes. The area I live in, I have no doubt the techs are skilled. As stated, long ago, 90% of our adult community was connected to the automotive industry in one way or another. Today's world, with youtube and the internet, odds are better it will be manageable.
And while perhaps 'laughable' by youtube I mean specific corporate video references for techs to figure it out...if not for yep, youtube...wow. We live in an age of incredible tech.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
They could do what Chevrolet did in 1983 with the Corvette. Skip a year. There was no 83 model do to delays. Ford should build 21 Broncos thru 22 till 23
By doing this it would help retain the 2021 broncos value,and thus the devaluation of all of our broncos will not happen ,I think this would also help FMC retain some stock value as well as keeping all of us 2021 bronco buyers somewhat happy. I am in the no 2022 bronco camp . Who wants to buy a 2021 bronco in 2022 ???????

Last edited:

Deanh

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just saw this news come out via Twitter. Ford is working on details to move unfinished vehicles to empty dealer lots and finish them there. Seems like an overly complicated way of making it appear that you have more stock than you actually do.

Ford weighs shipping vehicles missing chips for dealerships to finish

Only dealers who would choose to receive the unfinished vehicles would get shipments and service technicians would be trained on how to install the chips.

Michael Martinez
m41465.jpg

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. is weighing plans to start shipping partially built vehicles that are awaiting semiconductors or related components to dealerships around the country, a move that, if approved, would place responsibility on its retail network to complete the assembly once the chips are available.

The automaker began detailing the plans, which are not final, to some of its dealers this week, according to four people with knowledge of the discussions. Only dealers who would choose to receive the unfinished vehicles would get shipments and service technicians would be trained on how to install the chips, one of the people said. Dealerships would be compensated for slightly less than an hour's worth of labor for each vehicle, the person said.

Still unclear is whether the dealers would be responsible for the vehicles while they sit on their lots awaiting chips. Dealers are not expected to have to floorplan the vehicles before they're finished, one person said. The people asked not to be identified discussing internal company plans.

Ford is considering shifting its strategy, the people said, to ease the glut of unfinished vehicles piling up on company-owned lots around the country so it can keep assembly plants running. By essentially moving the vehicles now, Ford would be able to get them into customers' hands more quickly once the chips are ready instead of having to ship vehicles en masse at a later date.

“We are exploring a number of different options as we work to get our customers and dealers their new vehicles as quickly as possible," a Ford spokesman said.

Some dealers who spoke with Automotive News said they're concerned about shifting the responsibility — and potential liability — from the factory to the dealer body. Others, however, applauded the move because it gives them something to put on their nearly empty lots.

Ford has been hit hard by the chip crisis, saying earlier this year that the shortage will cost it $2.5 billion and slash its production this year by 1.1 million vehicles. Dealer lots have dried up, and customers who placed orders have been forced to wait months.

In late April, Ford said it had 22,000 partially built vehicles awaiting chips. It's unclear how much that number has grown.

The company has attempted to ease the crisis by focusing on custom-built orders and offering buyers $1,000 off if they place an order that will be fulfilled at a later date.

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/ford-weighs-shipping-vehicles-missing-chips-dealerships-finish
my question would be what operations would be effected on each model...I have a Bronco Sport built ( ordered Feb 1 ) and sitting at the plant waiting for a chip...what would I be sacrificing if it was shipped without the necessary chip?....

DMEARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
By doing this it would help retain the 2021 broncos value,and thus the devaluation of all of our broncos will not happen ,I think this would also help FMC retain some stock value as well as keeping all of us 2021 bronco buyers somewhat happy. I am in the no 2022 bronco camp . Who wants to buy a 2021 bronco in 2022 ???????
Plenty of people purchase last years model. Dealers mark them down accordingly. It happens often.

JerryC

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Plenty of people purchase last years model. Dealers mark them down accordingly. It happens often.
That's the point, Ford isn't telling us that we will get a discount. In fact the opposite has happened. There's been a price increase and better rebate offers went to people that ordered after us.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the point, Ford isn't telling us that we will get a discount. In fact the opposite has happened. There's been a price increase and better rebate offers went to people that ordered after us.
Exactly dump the 2022 make more 2021 .

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except there are no last year models of bronco. Pass on making 2022 Broncos of all models.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Working in SCADA and automation, I have some concerns with this. While I do not know Ford's specific assembly line process, I think we all agree that the product is a complex system with a lot of code and complexity. It is typical when manufacturing complex systems to have an "End of the Line" QC process, typically automated to save time and eliminate human error.
I suspect that in the production environment, the code is functionally checked against the installed modules and ran through some verification/burn-in tests. While the dealerships may get some training to install the chips in their facilities, will this process be be performed with the same rigor as the engineered processes at Hermosillo?
The way I see it when replacing a ECM, TCM, BCM etc., all modules with chips the dealer has to re-program these modules. Tell me how this is a challenge for a certified tech? I've done it at home with my Autel Maxi sys with J1652 two way communication capability.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, SVT Mustang, SHO,
surprising how many doubt that this hasn't been thoroughly thought out by engineers who know and work these systems every day. or doubt the functionality of the existing system they plug your ride into at a Ford dealers service department.
what they are doing is the same as module replacement they would do on a warranty repair. only the scale is different.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The way I see it when replacing a ECM, TCM, BCM etc., all modules with chips the dealer has to re-program these modules. Tell me how this is a challenge for a certified tech? I've done it at home with my Autel Maxi sys with J1652 two way communication capability.
Like I said in an earlier post, my original concern had nothing to do with getting the part into the vehicle and functional. Mine had more to do with maintaining the process data that is typically fed into the automation systems and create data-points for process trend correction and so forth.
I also followed-up and said my concerns were over-zealous and unwarranted in this case.
As in, I was overthinking it.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My response was aimed at the question: who buys last years models? Plenty of people do. My response was not specifically about the Bronco.

Reactions: Jrl

Advertisement

Advertisement