Osco

Base
First Name
Marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ok so I'm waiting for my 2021 Bronco Sport or F-150 or Mav and it's time for the 2022's.
A year old vehicle drops in value several thousand dollars.
What will I do ?
Tell Ford I'll buy the 2021 for three grand less or hold out for the 2022.
This could cripple Ford. Could kill the company.
Bigger companies have fallen.
Ford needs to consider brand loyalty and how to keep it. They need an incentive or plan of action that will make it financially sound for the customer to pay full price on these 2021 models, Suv AND Truck.
I would think the company needs to think about a way to help the customer recoup the depreciation of paying a new car price for a year old vehicle when they trade in.
Loyalty commitment incentives or some such arrangement.
Shipping unfinished vehicles is smart.
Get them out of the desert before they visibly deteriorate.
I also think it's time for dedicated Ford customers to buy stock in Ford.
We add up to a very large number of people.
We need to rethink our relationship with Ford.
We the people need to think a little less about our immediate needs and a little more about Ford and it's long term picture.
Old words come to mind and Fords very survival may be in our hands soon...
Ask not what the Ford company can do for you.
Ask yourself what you can do for Ford.

Advertisement

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CRV AWD EXL, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Ok so I'm waiting for my 2021 Bronco Sport or F-150 or Mav and it's time for the 2022's.
What will I do ?
Ford needs to consider brand loyalty and how to keep it. They need an incentive or plan of action that will make it financially sound for the customer to pay full price on these 2021 models, Suv AND Truck.
I would think the company needs to think about a way to help the customer recoup the depreciation of paying a new car price for a year old vehicle when they trade in.
I think 21 sports showing up at empty dealer lots at the end of 2021 or later buyers will be lucky to get them at sticker price. Most will sell for well above sticker due to supply demand out of whack. Until dealers get significant inventory we are not going to see any relief in price gouging. Then when car shortage ends late 2022/2023 the ppl who over paid for the 21s are going to suffer a huge loss in value.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I think 21 sports showing up at empty dealer lots at the end of 2021 or later buyers will be lucky to get them at sticker price. Most will sell for well above sticker due to supply demand out of whack. Until dealers get significant inventory we are not going to see any relief in price gouging. Then when car shortage ends late 2022/2023 the ppl who over paid for the 21s are going to suffer a huge loss in value.
I agree that this isn’t an issue. I don’t think Ford will have any problem selling ‘21 models while the ‘22’s are out. Scenarios like that happen frequently, and Ford’s been at this game for many years. They’ll be just fine.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I agree that this isn’t an issue. I don’t think Ford will have any problem selling ‘21 models while the ‘22’s are out. Scenarios like that happen frequently, and Ford’s been at this game for many years. They’ll be just fine.
Agreed. Ford has an exciting product lineup, they need to hold the course until they get they get their production issues resolved. Getting a quality product to their customers should be their priority.
The Quality Control process is manufacturing discipline, not a service issue. Once the product leaves the factory, Ford loses absolute control of that process.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How about a coalition of American auto manufacturers to build chips and other critical components on this continent? Manufacturers really aren't doing any long term planning to prevent them from staying in this position where they are at the mercy of China. Covid seems to be rising world-wide again, China hates America. Why do we think these shortages are going away?

JerryC

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
After the initial demand dies down then what? Remember the "retro' T-Bird. Huge hype, Car of the Year, MSRP+ and then gone in a few years. The return of the Ford 500...

Like said above depreciation is a killer. When the list of most depreciated vehicles comes out and the 2021 BS is near the top and that turns buyers away in model years three and four. By then there likey will be competitors that will bleed away sales. Ford might then be boo-hooing at lack luster sales like they did about the retro bird and it could be cancelled in just a few years.

Otoh, I expect the base model to become a darling of the rental car fleets. That will boost sales numbers but may not lead to much sales floor traffic as driving the base model as a first impression might not be the best impression for potential buyers.

I hope Ford figures this out and comes out of this in good shape.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, SVT Mustang, SHO,
How about a coalition of American auto manufacturers to build chips and other critical components on this continent? Manufacturers really aren't doing any long term planning to prevent them from staying in this position where they are at the mercy of China. Covid seems to be rising world-wide again, China hates America. Why do we think these shortages are going away?
There was political and industry push to rehome chip production and even a related executive order this past Feb. Little chance of getting it through the "just say no" congress imho. At some point they need to take essential parts and services out of the hands of our enemies. Saving pennies just isn't worth it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-supply-chains/biden-to-press-for-37-billion-to-boost-chip-manufacturing-amid-shortfall-idUSKBN2AO13D

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
After the initial demand dies down then what? Remember the "retro' T-Bird. Huge hype, Car of the Year, MSRP+ and then gone in a few years. The return of the Ford 500...

Like said above depreciation is a killer. When the list of most depreciated vehicles comes out and the 2021 BS is near the top and that turns buyers away in model years three and four. By then there likey will be competitors that will bleed away sales. Ford might then be boo-hooing at lack luster sales like they did about the retro bird and it could be cancelled in just a few years.

Otoh, I expect the base model to become a darling of the rental car fleets. That will boost sales numbers but may not lead to much sales floor traffic as driving the base model as a first impression might not be the best impression for potential buyers.

I hope Ford figures this out and comes out of this in good shape.
This is sort of a perfect storm for Ford.
They released some long-anticipated products during Covid and the resultant supply chain crisis putting their investments at risk. They were caught off-guard by Covid during the big Bronco release, but they released the Sport and especially the Maverick fully aware of their production limitations. These releases may have bolstered their stock prices near-term at the risk of frustrating their customer base with delays and conflicting expectations.
No doubt the stockholders demanded the product releases, but not having available product following the launch wastes a lot of the hype. The ROI on the goat commercials was probably diminished or even counterproductive by getting customers hyped with new car fever, shopping and possibly benefiting a competitor that had inventory.
Hopefully, Ford will get better with providing better information as to status and realistic expectations. They are serving two customers, those purchasing their vehicles and their stockholders. Keeping both happy during this crisis must be daunting.

Last edited:

Osco

Base
First Name
Marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
,,, Then when car shortage ends late 2022/2023 the ppl who over paid for the 21s are going to suffer a huge loss in value.
The I gotta have it now crowd and over pay people deserve what comes. Your right but I'm more concerned with the bulk of the buying public needing a good deal on a good vehicle, the smarter shoppers. If they don't pony up Ford could be in real trouble.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
There was political and industry push to rehome chip production and even a related executive order this past Feb. Little chance of getting it through the "just say no" congress imho. At some point they need to take essential parts and services out of the hands of our enemies. Saving pennies just isn't worth it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-supply-chains/biden-to-press-for-37-billion-to-boost-chip-manufacturing-amid-shortfall-idUSKBN2AO13D
Unfortunately, it was our Fortune 500 companies that championed this offshoring, ramping up in the 90's to bolster "efficiency". When I saw this happening, I always found it ironic that Cuban travel and cigars were taboo but all things China were great from an American business perspective. We're now paying for this short-shortsightedness.

Sorry to get off-topic.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Does anyone know how they move vehicles that don't have chips? I imagine the vehicle has no power at all since it doesn't have chips, so they can't start them and put them in drive. Do they manually put the vehicles in neutral and push them onto the holding lots after they are assembled?

Last toy

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
As a Ford shareholder I want long term value not an extra $0.01 dividend
What will I do ?
Shipping unfinished vehicles is smart.
Get them out of the desert before they visibly deteriorate.
I also think it's time for dedicated Ford customers to buy stock in Ford.
We add up to a very large number of people.
We need to rethink our relationship with Ford.
We the people need to think a little less about our immediate needs and a little more about Ford and it's long term picture.
Old words come to mind and Fords very survival may be in our hands soon...
Ask not what the Ford company can do for you.
Ask yourself what you can do for Ford.
They could do what Chevrolet did in 1983 with the Corvette. Skip a year. There was no 83 model do to delays. Ford should build 21 Broncos thru 22 till 23

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS AREA 51
Does anyone know how they move vehicles that don't have chips? I imagine the vehicle has no power at all since it doesn't have chips, so they can't start them and put them in drive. Do they manually put the vehicles in neutral and push them onto the holding lots after they are assembled?
Ironically yes I just had this discussion Thursday. They have "zombie modules" for lack of a better way for me to explain it. They place it in the vehicle, drive it to where it needs to go, remove the module, put it in the next car and repeat. They do brain transplants essentially. This is per a Ford engineer I rolled with in college

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS AREA 51
I also want to believe the market is so dry...just release the 21's, cap that stock and filter the 22s as you build supply. Or...what's it hurt to have a low inventory on 21s. Owning one, I'm great with this 😎. 2020-21 is a span unlike any in our collective lifetimes. Things will be different for a long time. Look how much life changed after September 11, 2001

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ironically yes I just had this discussion Thursday. They have "zombie modules" for lack of a better way for me to explain it. They place it in the vehicle, drive it to where it needs to go, remove the module, put it in the next car and repeat. They do brain transplants essentially. This is per a Ford engineer I rolled with in college
Technology is amazing! That is good engineering/thinking.

Advertisement

Advertisement