Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Agreed, I just don't see how Ford can maintain the same rigor doing this across dozens of dealerships using techs who don't work an assembly line as a day job.
Not to mention having the hardware dedicated to perform these procedures.

ZeroCool

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Agreed, I just don't see how Ford can maintain the same rigor doing this across dozens of dealerships using techs who don't work an assembly line as a day job.
Maybe the chips are plug and play enough that it’s well within the tech’s skill to install a chip.

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT BADLANDS AREA 51
Maybe the chips are plug and play enough that it’s well within the tech’s skill to install a chip.
consider they frequently replace entire head units. I think too much is being made of this situation personally speaking. And as for concern over code and QC...we have reddit tuners who do more. I'm not too worried considering the Ford Techs will follow the book and set to default. I don't think it will be as difficult as many are dreading. I get the fear, I get the frustration, but Ford takes a step forward, and buyers seem to take two leaps backward no matter what they do.

Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost conv 50 Year App Package
I don't know about anybody else but if I saw a BS on the dealers lot that I wanted and was then told I couldn't buy it I'd be pissed. The first thing I would say is If you can't sell it then why the hell is it sitting on the lot.

ZeroCool

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
consider they frequently replace entire head units. I think too much is being made of this situation personally speaking. And as for concern over code and QC...we have reddit tuners who do more. I'm not too worried considering the Ford Techs will follow the book and set to default. I don't think it will be as difficult as many are dreading. I get the fear, I get the frustration, but Ford takes a step forward, and buyers seem to take two leaps backward no matter what they do.
I don’t have the knowledge you and some others on here have about the mechanics of things, but that was my assumption. I didn’t want to speculate completely, but would think since service techs deal with many parts, models, and situations, that their knowledge and ability would supersede a line worker that might install the same part or series of parts on one assembly line.

JerryC

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I asked my salesman this question yesterday :)
I like this much better than it sitting in the desert.
The dealer can can keep it clean and stick a SOLD sign in the window.
Or park it in the back lot and keep it clean. Just moving them in out for washes to change the parking places would give the casual observer the impression they were being sold and new stock was arriving.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CRV AWD EXL, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yeah what if they ship our special order sports to dealers and we could stop by and see them? Lot better then them sitting who knows where for who knows how long.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CRV AWD EXL, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
And if Ford worried about storage space I have an available garage spot at my house. Why not let it stay in there and wait for the missing parts?

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have the knowledge you and some others on here have about the mechanics of things, but that was my assumption. I didn’t want to speculate completely, but would think since service techs deal with many parts, models, and situations, that their knowledge and ability would supersede a line worker that might install the same part or series of parts on one assembly line.
nope very valid points, consider a line worker puts in how many parts per day, week, month,e tc. No question they are top shelf at doing it. But I also know most techs are highly trained, and anyone can have a 'bad day.' My brother-in-law worked assembly for **EP. Guys came in high, drunk, unmotivated. etc. He always said Wednesday was the best build date at his plant. In that same breath.
Most of the cars use similar packages and modules to some extent, install and repair/replace isn't too complicated.

OP
OP

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
My question is really what dealer would agree to this? You now have liability for cats you can sell, have to make sure that all of the sales guys know what cars can and can’t be sold, dealers get penalized for having cars sit on lots too long so when does the clock start? Also many dealerships barely have time in service for the cars that actually need services what happens when a shipment of a 100 chips come in and now they are there hot seat to get them installed and sell the car?

I get some of the logic from ford’s side and I’m sure dealers would like the appearance of cars on the lot but they logistics are a nightmare.

13MikeH

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My question is really what dealer would agree to this? You now have liability for cats you can sell, have to make sure that all of the sales guys know what cars can and can’t be sold, dealers get penalized for having cars sit on lots too long so when does the clock start? Also many dealerships barely have time in service for the cars that actually need services what happens when a shipment of a 100 chips come in and now they are there hot seat to get them installed and sell the car?

I get some of the logic from ford’s side and I’m sure dealers would like the appearance of cars on the lot but they logistics are a nightmare.
Great arguments, makes a ton of sense. My thoughts, this isn't normal...I'd guess dealers would not be accountable for unfinished cars on lots as they aren't sale items.
Any competent dealer can tag and secure the vehicles. Many around me have vast open spaces on back prep lots.
I'd guess a supply of 100 chips, spreading broncos across the country, you are spreading the service as well. A tech can probably put the part in within an hour or two.
Think positive....if techs are trained to install, now of there is a problem later...YOUR tech is trained and experienced to fix it.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I'm wasn't really discussing the merits of a line worker vs. a dealership mechanic when comparing the methods, rather the QC rigor that is part of the manufacturing process at the plant, and whether that could be duplicated in a dealership. Sure a headunit can be replaced at a dealership, but the embedded QC checks that occur on the line include such things as laser parts alignment, automated methods to measure gaps, torques, paint thickness, and finally, a systems test to check all the systems electronically. All of this data is aggregated into the QC processes and not only can it accept/reject an individual product, but it feeds the overall QC system to plot trends and adjust the processes. This is all valuable and allows the reliability we expect in high-tech products. Breaking this process and field-fitting parts robs the QC process of some key data points and final tests that should be performed at a facility properly equipped.

Advertisement

Advertisement