13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Intel CEO says their plans for the new plant don't depend on taking a dime from government. Good. I'll put my money on the private sector solving this problem. Read on Dow Jones news this morning that Commerce Secy says she doesn't support favoring automakers over other industries in regard to the chip shortages. Intel's new plant won't be in production until 2023. What is the short term solution? Don't know. Looks like we will continue to see supply shortages in many products including autos. I feel extremely lucky to have my BL. I still have one on order that is supposed to be built the second week in June. Maybe it will be built the week before the next shut down. Dealer has agreed to give to a longtime friend of mine.
Intel receiving government money isn't the issue, it's creating a long-term competitive pricing market. Cheap China junk isn't near the quality American manufacturing can produce, and incentives and tariffs help small market USA. We are currently heading in the wrong direction. Skirting political comments, the chip shortage is as much current world craziness and poor overseas product dependence coming to a head.
Sponsored

Rincon

Badlands
First Name
Laird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Cactus Gray
I think much of these supply shortages also reflect just how fragile the just in time production model really is. Old Henry was on to something, making what he could and keeping all his suppliers in a relatively close radius. A little forethought on Ford’s part might have kept them north of the outhouse lid.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Old Henry was on to something, making what he could and keeping all his suppliers in a relatively close radius.
As an aside, Ford was friends with Harvey Firestone. I only point this out because in Firestone's business autobiography, he mentions how difficult the tire business was due to an almost total-reliance on suppliers (rubber) outside of his direct control and proximity.

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Curious what all this is doing to the big Bronco which was already waayyy behind.

Kperry62

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Unfortunate timing for Ford. Covid has impacted everything. My reservation kept getting pushed back. In January, I cancelled it and found a Outer Banks at a local dealership. Happy I did. Great car and very pleased with my decision and my purchase.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
mine was pushed today from june 28th to Aug 23rd
Sucks to be us. I just emailed my salesman and asked if I could get out of my deal.
They have a Jeep dealership in another town and I hope to buy a Wrangler.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Cheap China junk isn't near the quality American manufacturing can produce, and incentives and tariffs help small market USA.
That's not entirely true anymore. China is a huge economy with production that can meet different price points. My Huawei phone of past 2 years has been the best smartphone I ever had.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That's not entirely true anymore. China is a huge economy with production that can meet different price points. My Huawei phone of past 2 years has been the best smartphone I ever had.
Valid argument. Price point is the key statement. Tech stuff they are fairly advanced. However...if I am automaker13 and they sell a chip costing me $3 and another costing $23 and an American company charges $11...which chip do I purchase? Over the course of 10 million units those dollars add up. Yeah some of that is on the auto company, but eliminating the $3 option with tarrifs is a big step. That American chip could be produced cheaper but govt is pushing for $15 minimum wage to toss burgers...we are our own worst enemy and China thanks us every day

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
When I ordered My Bronco Big Bend back in March the dealer asked me if I wanted chips with that. I picked it up last Thursday and all the chips were there.