Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It is also my opinion that even failing by 1 foot is ONE FOOT TO MANY.
No disrespect intended. I realize my risk tolerance is different from yours.
Since the brakes failed to perform as designed then that alone, no matter what other circumstances are involved, means that those defective components could put anyone in a dangerous situation. As far as the engine quitting - well that is the concern of yet another recall involving the FDM module.
I respectfully disagree. Every one of us needs to make a decision about whether we will continue to drive our cars while Ford works out the details of this recall. I believe understanding the circumstances that create the issue is essential if we're to make an intelligent decision.

There is no data to suggest a problem with the brakes as long as the power-assist system is functioning normally. Indeed, based on independent testing we know the brakes on these cars work as well or better than most vehicles in the class. It's only under very specific--and very unlikely--circumstances that they failed to meet federal standards, and even then by only a very small margin. I'm comfortable continuing to drive my car until Ford makes the necessary repairs because I deem the likelihood of an engine failure at the exact same instant I need to make an emergency stop to be vanishingly remote.

Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just think it's important to have as much information as possible when evaluating risks. Your mileage may vary. Peace. :fistbump:
Sponsored

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Probably explains the rear brake noise while reversing regardless of rain/humidity. The sound is always there ?‍♂??

Yeah, I have been noticing that at times too.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
My Sport just started the squeak when backing up. I have a December 2020 build.
I have a December 2020 build too. My brakes have squeaked a couple of times when reversing. My previous Escape used to do the same thing. It doesn’t concern me.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I am having my '22 Bronco built this week. This won't effect the current models being built will it?

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Safety Issue Type: Recalls

November 23 2021
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V922000

Reduced Braking Performance/FMVSS 135

During certain situations, the driver may have to apply more brake pedal force, and the distance
required to stop the vehicle may be extended, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number 21V922000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 114996

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Bronco Sport and Escape vehicles.
The rear brake linings may have been manufactured incorrectly, which can affect braking
performance. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety Standard number 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems."

Remedy

The remedy is currently under development. Owner notification letters are expected to be
mailed January 10, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
Ford's number for this recall is 21C31.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety
Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

Affected Products (4)

MAKE MODEL YEAR
FORD BRONCO SPORT 2021-2022
FORD ESCAPE 2021-2022

Associated Documents (3)

Noncompliance Notice 573 Report
RCLRPT-21V922-3998.PDF 216.124KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V922-3998.PDF

Miscellaneous Document - CHRONOLOGY for RECALL 21C31 – CERTAIN 2021-2022 MODEL
YEAR BRONCO SPORT AND ESCAPE VEHICLES
RMISC-21V922-5763.pdf 53.962KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V922-5763.pdf

Recall Acknowledgement
RCAK-21V922-7811.pdf 645.424KB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCAK-21V922-7811.pdf
2nd recall on this piece of junk.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Wow. Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm genuinely curious: Do you dislike your Bronco Sport? If so, why keep it? With prices on the used market the way they are NOW seems like the best time to sell it if you don't want it.

gibsonc7r

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecosport
I am having my '22 Bronco built this week. This won't effect the current models being built will it?
As of right now, no. Based on the roll call thread, they’re building and shipping ‘22s.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
WOW !!!! kinda harsh no, first of Ford did not make the brake pads, that blame should be on them (whomever them are) sell it if you feel that bad. I don’t care what manufacture you choose to purchase from, this is the First Year of a totally Brand New Vehicle it’s gonna have some growing pains that’s just the nature of the Beast. Sorry if I’m coming across harsh I don’t mean too, Yes I’m just a Diehard Ford Guy, trying to be honest an reasonable and try and make some sense of this.

kcomeaux87

Big Bend
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So not to sure if this is true or not. But on the visibility report can you see if it gets the ok to ship?
Sales manager just called me and told me it shows FDM recall repaired and now we have the ok to ship.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So not to sure if this is true or not. But on the visibility report can you see if it gets the ok to ship?
Sales manager just called me and told me it shows FDM recall repaired and now we have the ok to ship.
I believe visibility report shows why it is being held at plant. So if it shows nothing holding it then yes it should be queued up to ship.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Yes, he should be able to see if it does or doesn't have a "StopShip" on it. Even though the FDM recall has been done, unfortunately it doesn't mean that there still isn't a "StopShip" on it.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
My only question. Why are just rear pads bad???
Generally with disc brakes, there are different brake pads for the front and rear. Usually the front pads are designed to take a heavier braking load than the rears, and is also why the front pads tend to wear down faster than the rears. Some of the smaller cars being made to date, the Ford Fiesta being one of them, still use drum brakes in the rear but still need the disc brakes in the front for the additional stopping power that they provide.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Generally with disc brakes, there are different brake pads for the front and rear. Usually the front pads are designed to take a heavier braking load than the rears, and is also why the front pads tend to wear down faster than the rears. Some of the smaller cars being made to date, the Ford Fiesta being one of them, still use drum brakes in the rear but still need the disc brakes in the front for the additional stopping power that they provide.
Correct as you brake weight shifts to the front and weight is taken off the rear. So vehicles are engineered to use the front brakes to do the majority of the stopping to prevent rear wheel lock ups. So kind of odd the rear brakes are causing shortness of braking given rear brakes do not do much of the braking.
Sponsored