Ford Play -- Sync3 promoted app, but not actually usable?

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've noticed that Sync3 likes to promote apps within their ecosystem that might not actually be of any use on that particular vehicle. We'll leave the discussion of advisability on this sort of UX design choice to another thread. ;-)

One of these promoted but non-usable apps seems to be Ford Play -- I'd love to have a way to mirror phone <=> Sync3 screen displays, but apparently Ford Play requires an enhanced entertainment system SKU that isn't available with the current iteration of Bronco Sports.

I'm most interested in the phone (in my case iPhone) => Sync3 screen direction (called "SmartStream"), mirroring the other direction (called "MultiCast") didn't seem as useful.

I've been able to get it to the point where the phone app (Ford Play) and the Sync3 app (Ford Play) agree that there's a phone linked, but the Mirror A / Mirror B / etc… options on the Sync3 side, and Remote Control / SmartStream / MultiCast options on the phone side don't do anything.

Anyone had any luck with Ford Play on their Bronco Sport?

Note: I'm not referring to Apple CarPlay / Android Auto style functionality, this is a separate Ford-centric application that seems to be geared towards multi-screen in-vehicle theatre systems.
Sponsored

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Looks like it requires rear seat entertainment

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I've noticed that Sync3 likes to promote apps within their ecosystem that might not actually be of any use on that particular vehicle. We'll leave the discussion of advisability on this sort of UX design choice to another thread. ;-)

One of these promoted but non-usable apps seems to be Ford Play -- I'd love to have a way to mirror phone <=> Sync3 screen displays, but apparently Ford Play requires an enhanced entertainment system SKU that isn't available with the current iteration of Bronco Sports.

I'm most interested in the phone (in my case iPhone) => Sync3 screen direction (called "SmartStream"), mirroring the other direction (called "MultiCast") didn't seem as useful.

I've been able to get it to the point where the phone app (Ford Play) and the Sync3 app (Ford Play) agree that there's a phone linked, but the Mirror A / Mirror B / etc… options on the Sync3 side, and Remote Control / SmartStream / MultiCast options on the phone side don't do anything.

Anyone had any luck with Ford Play on their Bronco Sport?

Note: I'm not referring to Apple CarPlay / Android Auto style functionality, this is a separate Ford-centric application that seems to be geared towards multi-screen in-vehicle theatre systems.
It is for rear passenger screens. Are you looking at aftermarket screens or something? What is your end game?

OP
OP

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It is for rear passenger screens. Are you looking at aftermarket screens or something? What is your end game?
The end-goal is to be able to use the in-dash center-stack display as the screen for streaming video (from phone) while the vehicle is in PARK. No intention of streaming while driving, or entertaining rear passengers. Not a frequent need, but occasionally I'm stuck in-vehicle waiting. I thought it'd be a bit cleaner than using a tablet. :)
Sponsored