Fold Flat Rear Seats?

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Any information or thoughts on whether the back seats will fold down completely flat? I'm in an '07 Escape Hybrid and the rear seats go down perfectly flat and level, no slope to the seat backs. That's become a must have feature for me for sleeping in the back and cargo carrying. On my old Escape the rear seat bottoms are removable for additional storage area behind the front seats, another great feature.

The 2020 Escape lost both of those features and I fear the Bronco Sport might be the same way. I have to know about that before I order. Otherwise, it looks like the perfect vehicle to replace my old Escape with the HV battery getting tired now.
Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yes, the rear seats fold down flat. Here's some photos. Without any weight on them, they angle up slightly, but once you put some weight on the seat backs (as the bicycle photo shows), they appear to go completely flat.

Bonus pic of the useful under (rear) seat storage.

Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? bronco-sport-interior-fold-down-flat-rear-seats

Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? bronco-sport-bronco-sport-interior-fold-down-flat-rear-seats-1

Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? bronco-sport-interior-07-1594669472

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Do the rear head rests have to be removed for folding the seat flat?

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Any information or thoughts on whether the back seats will fold down completely flat? I'm in an '07 Escape Hybrid and the rear seats go down perfectly flat and level, no slope to the seat backs. That's become a must have feature for me for sleeping in the back and cargo carrying. On my old Escape the rear seat bottoms are removable for additional storage area behind the front seats, another great feature.

The 2020 Escape lost both of those features and I fear the Bronco Sport might be the same way. I have to know about that before I order. Otherwise, it looks like the perfect vehicle to replace my old Escape with the HV battery getting tired now.
The rear seats appear to fold down flat, but I'm wondering, even with the seats folded down if you would have enough space between the back of the front seats and the lift gate for a man to sleep? It would be nice to know what that dimension is.

ltober20

Outer Banks
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So on my Outer Banks that just delivered, the seats dont even get close to flat when they fold down. Probably a good 20 degree angle from the rear floor. Is the flat folding only on badlands and first edition or am I missing something?

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
So on my Outer Banks that just delivered, the seats dont even get close to flat when they fold down. Probably a good 20 degree angle from the rear floor. Is the flat folding only on badlands and first edition or am I missing something?
I need to check my OB, but I understand if you have the tow package, and thus a full sized spare tire, the seats fold flatter.

ltober20

Outer Banks
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to check my OB, but I understand if you have the tow package, and thus a full sized spare tire, the seats fold flatter.

That's gotta be it, I didn't get the tow package.

Mainly wondering to see if I could camp/sleep in the back with seats folded flat. I think I could build up the rear floor with some foam or something to get it closer to flat.

Thanks

OP
OP
Econoline

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
From what I've seen the rear seats on all the BS models are the same and do not fold down flat. Your estimate of a 20° angle from level sounds about right. Unlike the earlier Escapes where the rear seat bottoms could fold forward or be removed completely, the BS rear seat bottoms do not move which prevents the rear seat back from folding down flat.

The rear cargo floor, the platform above the spare tire, is not related to the seatback issue. Cargo floor height can vary by a couple of inches due to the size of the spare tire underneath.

I delayed my BL order to see if an aftermarket solution comes out for a level sleeping area in the back. I'm hoping https://www.goose-gear.com/ comes out with a sleeping platform with partial rear seat delete.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
That's gotta be it, I didn't get the tow package.

Mainly wondering to see if I could camp/sleep in the back with seats folded flat. I think I could build up the rear floor with some foam or something to get it closer to flat.

Thanks
Just checked. I have an OB with a full sized spare. Back seats do not lie flat. Sorry.

ltober20

Outer Banks
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figured it out, you can slightly adjust the height/angle of the rear floor to make a more seamless transition with the seats folded down. See below from owner's manual.

This results in everything being at a slight angle but its not much at all and looks pretty nice.

Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? 1612451002279

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I figured it out, you can slightly adjust the height/angle of the rear floor to make a more seamless transition with the seats folded down. See below from owner's manual.

This results in everything being at a slight angle but its not much at all and looks pretty nice.

Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? 1612451002279
That’s what I thought. My plan is to just park with the front slightly lower to give a flatter sleeping surface.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Does taking the rear head rests off completely make any difference in how flat the seats fold?

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So this is an old post but an update for anyone interested. In my Badland with the towing package/full size spare tire combo the rear floor is higher but the seats still don’t fold flat.
The two different heights for the floor are for with and without the full size spare tire. I could not use the lower position unless I removed the spare tire.
Even with weight on them my seats would not fold flat, the headrest has no effect either way unless the front seat are too far back and the head rest hits them when folding down.
There is barely 5 feet to lie down/sleep, just about six diagonally but it would not be comfortable. However two or 3 inches of foam cushion in the trunk and a couple of inches additional inches over the entire backseats folded down and the trunk area would probably make something usable in a pinch. I think I would rather just sleep in the passenger seat Like a recliner.
Here are some photos
Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? 9BA6FC0C-6506-47C4-BE1B-837566A25942
Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? 5214D957-D434-453B-BD28-D19B6ECAF02B
Ford Bronco Sport Fold Flat Rear Seats? 0BBB8F60-9891-48EA-B14E-C0F8CEABF15E
Sponsored