Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature?

How Important is the Flip-Up Rear Glass to you?

• I Didn't Know the Glass Flipped Up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
You said nobody was complaining. They were. As shown.
You said mild criticism.
The poster said it was almost useless. And I quote “ the wiper/lock housing takes up too much space for the access to be useful “ That’s not mild.
So yes my suggestion was that if somebody found it to be that useless maybe they should’ve considered a different vehicle, but maybe that feature wasn’t that important to him and he was just saying even though he loves the car the lift glass is useless either way I took it as complaining and, commented as such I’m not upset at all.
Just open it and enjoy .

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
As a former 1st gen Escape owner that was very vocal about the loss of the this feature with the arrival of the "jellybean SUVs", I will say that while I sorely miss the larger, more useful early Escape flip glass, the Sport's implementation is so poor that I could care less about its existence.

To elaborate:
  • The opening is too narrow to be of benefit to me. On the Escape, I opened it in lieu of the liftgate during outdoor activites to pass stuff through, and the Sport's narrow slit and center bulge prohibits this.
  • The ridiculously small arc cleared by the wiper is not only silly looking, but ineffective at providing rear visibility.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
When I use it, its mostly to drop in my bag of tools or take out. I have the cargo table cover- so I can easily have items near the window hatch.
I have not drove around with the glass open...yet. It has it use for smaller items for sure`- maybe a surf board if you don't have the roof rack.
I agree with the location for the wiper motor is less than ideal...but that's was not a deal breaker for me.

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would prefer a powered rear gate over the flip up glass.

Blynne

Badlands
First Name
Bridget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Mustang GT, 21 Escape, 22 BS Badlands
I really like it but would prefer it was bigger. It is a bit too small. Even better would be a drop in window like the 4-runner has. That is more costly and complex so I get why Ford didn’t do it. But when driving, it is great having the window dropped (so I am told).
Agreed. The big Bronco my family had growing up had the back window that rolled down. My mom had it down one day and shut the back and it broke the glass. I would still like to have that feature, though.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Make the back glass wider and the side would go from this:

Ford Bronco Sport Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature? 1EB33048-8004-454B-9A7B-985E07B62606_1_201_a

To this:

Ford Bronco Sport Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature? 7767712C-8F1E-4EF6-830F-99D5DA76BAF1_1_201_a

Then you've got an old Escape:

Ford Bronco Sport Flip-Up Rear Glass - An Essential Feature? C69D7A1D-6F29-4D5D-A72F-9EA5C0A1AC6B_1_201_a

No need to compliment my awesome Photoshop skills. ?
Definately not as attractive. It might look ok if only the top of the glass was extended up.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Definately not as attractive. It might look ok if only the top of the glass was extended up.
Maybe not as attractive, but style shouldn't trump function when you're going to all the trouble and expense to add the feature. The old Escape didn't look that bad in the back.

Classic case of style over substance

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Every SUV I've owned in the past 20 years has had flip-up glass in the lift-gate, and I use that feature often. From easily loading grocery bags, transporting long lumber, to accessing rear cargo when a hitch mounted bike rack blocks the lift-gate, so much more convenient than lift-gate only.

The BS is the only remaining small SUV with this feature, although the Ford Expedition and a Lincoln model may still have it. Do you know of any other new models?

Although the glass opening is much smaller than on my Escape, I still want it. I think this is a strong point in favor of the BS compared to other SUV's.

Just curious what others think.
For me, the flip up glass is just kinda Meh. Of the various SUV/CUV's I've had, the only other one with non fixed rear glass was my 97 4Runner, which had a power window in the liftgate. I found that nice when I had the windows down, sunroof open because it allowed a LOT of airflow through the truck and the AC condenser had been ripped off by a previous owner when they ran it into a tree, so no AC.

On the Bronco Sport, I've opened it a couple of times. It's really too high up and too small to be really useful to me EXCEPT for the one time we hauled a carpet remnant in it, that was too big to fit in the cargo area. Then it was handy because I didn't need the whole tailgate open. Other than that, if it wasn't there I don't think I'd miss it much.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
I find the window too small but agree it's need as it's the only way to haul lumber for the weekend warrior. I personally use a trailer when I am a weekend warrior, as I usually need sheeting also. Thus I could easily do without it. I also don't like that when you wash the BS the hinges and wiper latch hold water until well after everything is dried off.
Sponsored