First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
So I wanted to dump that OE straight from factory synthetic blend as quickly as possible. Honestly, I did not find the plate all that difficult to deal with. The fact that the rear bolt holes are 'slotted' makes all the difference. I enjoy that this is only 10 bolts/screws to undo in order to do the oil change, rather than the 16 on my Mustang. The location of the oil filter over the front bumper looks like it will make for a mess each and every time. Anybody find a nifty solution to avoid the oil splash all over the place?

Ford Bronco Sport First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine IMG_4499.PNG

Ford Bronco Sport First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine IMG_4487
Ford Bronco Sport First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine IMG_4488
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Piece of cardboard formed into a shape that will keep the oil off whatever you want to keep it off of and drain into your pan.
I'll see if I can fashion something out of cardboard next time. I honestly thought I could use one hand to hold back the bumper, while I unscrewed with the other, but that didn't work out as well as I imagined it in my mind 😅 .

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Loosen, but not too loose, the oil filter. Loose enough that you can turn it the rest of the way off by hand, but not loose enough that oil starts coming out. Place a one-quart or larger bag over the filter, then turn it all the way out. The oil that comes from around the top of the filter will go in the bag.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loosen, but not too loose, the oil filter. Loose enough that you can turn it the rest of the way off by hand, but not loose enough that oil starts coming out. Place a one-quart or larger bag over the filter, then turn it all the way out. The oil that comes from around the top of the filter will go in the bag.
Now……that sounds nifty. Thanks!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I go to Quick Lane at the dealer, I also don't mind using Motorcraft synthetic blend. I can usually snag a coupon which makes the cost reasonable, they also rotate the tires as well. No need to lay on a creeper or cardboard or having to dispose of the used oil and filter.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I go to Quick Lane at the dealer
Part of the reason I stopped going to the "quick lane" is because it stopped being "quick" after
COVID
I also don't mind using Motorcraft synthetic blend
To each, his own.
I can usually snag a coupon which makes the cost reasonable
Can't argue with that
they also rotate the tires as well
Don't be so sure. Ive questioned different mechanics and "service people" from my local dealer as to what technique they use to rotate and I've gotten both the correct pattern, and also front to back only...as in L front will always go to L rear and same for R, as answers. :crackup:
I definitely rotate my tires myself also. A bit of a pain but well worth the peace of mind.
No need to lay on a creeper or cardboard or having to dispose of the used oil and filter.
I enjoy getting a look at the car from underneath. You see things you might not see from up top. Sheds make for great hazmat storage areas until the inevitable 'run to the dump' (no pun intended).

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Part of the reason I stopped going to the "quick lane" is because it stopped being "quick" after
COVID

To each, his own.

Can't argue with that

Don't be so sure. Ive questioned different mechanics and "service people" from my local dealer as to what technique they use to rotate and I've gotten both the correct pattern, and also front to back only...as in L front will always go to L rear and same for R, as answers. :crackup:
I definitely rotate my tires myself also. A bit of a pain but well worth the peace of mind.

I enjoy getting a look at the car from underneath. You see things you might not see from up top. Sheds make for great hazmat storage areas until the inevitable 'run to the dump' (no pun intended).
Thankfully our local bus garage takes used oil so long as it's clean from absorbants or chemical contamination. They have a massive poly container and just add my dribbles to it.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I used to do the plastic bag trick with the filter on my wife's 2002 New Beetle. Works well.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
COVID

To each, his own.

Can't argue with that

I've been lucky with Quick Lane, I've been within line of sight for the services performed ( The Works Synthetic blend oil package). I used to do all the service Op's for my vehicles and others myself, if I had a lift I would possibly still do it, not much fun laying on the ground or on a creeper anymore. If it's someone that needs help or something that needs immediate attention yes, otherwise no.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been lucky with Quick Lane, I've been within line of sight for the services performed ( The Works Synthetic blend oil package). I used to do all the service Op's for my vehicles and others myself, if I had a lift I would possibly still do it, not much fun laying on the ground or on a creeper anymore. If it's someone that needs help or something that needs immediate attention yes, otherwise no.
I do agree that lifts are awesome. There is a DIY garage that isn't too expensive; but its a trek to another side of Miami. Can't find one closer. I'll probably go there on my next oil change, just so I can get the "walk around" experience underneath. I think its important.

Simple things like Oil changes, tire rotation, and others where I really don't have to get underneath the car too much (oil changes really aren't too bad for that if we're being honest) I'm okay with, but I do agree that doing more extensive work (say catback or downpipe install, or spring and strut replacement) can be an absolute nightmare to do on stands and my body will ache for atleast a day afterwards. So I'm fairly loathe to do it unless I truly want to.

So I think we're on the same page.....minus the synthetic blend! 😅

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your oil looks like it has a green tint to it like mine did when I did my first oil change.
Ford Bronco Sport First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine bronco sport green tint in motor oil1

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your oil looks like it has a green tint to it like mine did when I did my first oil change.
Ford Bronco Sport First Oil Change Thoughts on 2.0L EcoBoost Engine bronco sport green tint in motor oil1
Yeah, it looked strange to me too, but I chalked it up to it being the first time I've ever changed fresh oil. Usually GDI engine oil is black after a thousand miles or two, from all the soot it soaks up.

Maybe someone else can offer up an explanation. I googled it a bit, and it seems to be that many oils have a green hue. So I kinda just chalked this up to me never seeeing fresh oil all pooled out like that.

bozer

Badlands
First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250, 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Yeah, it looked strange to me too, but I chalked it up to it being the first time I've ever changed fresh oil. Usually GDI engine oil is black after a thousand miles or two, from all the soot it soaks up.

Maybe someone else can offer up an explanation. I googled it a bit, and it seems to be that many oils have a green hue. So I kinda just chalked this up to me never seeeing fresh oil all pooled out like that.
I've done a lot of oil changes, some with relatively clean oil, and I've never encountered this. I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and the oil checked out okay. I've chatted with some Ford tech's online, and they seem to think it's a dye from the factory to check for oil leaks.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've done a lot of oil changes, some with relatively clean oil, and I've never encountered this. I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and the oil checked out okay. I've chatted with some Ford tech's online, and they seem to think it's a dye from the factory to check for oil leaks.
Awesome! Yeah, I sent away for my Blackstone kit last week. Hopefully it will be here soon. I think its going to be great to get a 'baseline' reading of what the engine was doing straight out of the box.
Sponsored