First Issue w/ FE Bronco Sport - Infant Car seat!

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hey All!

Absolutely LOVING my FE still, received my order late December 2020.

Finally encountered our first “issue” when trying to install our Doona convertible car seat & base for our newborn in the back seat.

Installation was easy for the backseat clips, but in order to completely fit the seat, the passenger seat needs to be moved forward to the point that my 5’8” wife can barely fit in the car…The car seat also barely fits through the rear door frame without completely scraping my hands while holding the seat.

Bummed that the space in the back seems to be spacious for friends who are well over 6 foot tall, but tremendously cramped when installing an infant car seat.

Anyone else encounter similar issues?
Sponsored

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
Will be installing my car seats this weekend for my kids. If its cramped I'll let you know. Hopefully we don't come across the same issue. Car seats are stupidly large though.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not to be "that guy" and our kids are both 20 now...how freaking big are baby seats now? We had no issues putting two in the back of a ranger...I hope you find a simple solution. My son is 6'5" and has no issues front or back seats. That's just crazy.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Hey All!

Absolutely LOVING my FE still, received my order late December 2020.

Finally encountered our first “issue” when trying to install our Doona convertible car seat & base for our newborn in the back seat.

Installation was easy for the backseat clips, but in order to completely fit the seat, the passenger seat needs to be moved forward to the point that my 5’8” wife can barely fit in the car…The car seat also barely fits through the rear door frame without completely scraping my hands while holding the seat.

Bummed that the space in the back seems to be spacious for friends who are well over 6 foot tall, but tremendously cramped when installing an infant car seat.

Anyone else encounter similar issues?
It's not the car LOL. That car seat would have issues with alot of cars. Why call it a Bronco issue because of an aftermarket item?

OP
OP
ChupaKobra

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So I did a little test today.. I had a 4door Focus SEL hatchback prior to the Bronco Sport, which a friend still has. Absolutely no issue getting the seat in/out and there is tons of room between the back of the passenger seat and the car seat.

I guess there is a reason you never see a child in all of the Bronco Sport commercials………

No way I’m going back to the Focus, but… luckily my wife has an Explorer that has plenty of room in the back seat!

OP
OP
ChupaKobra

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I assume this is it? I think I identified the issue...
Ford Bronco Sport First Issue w/ FE Bronco Sport - Infant Car seat! test_1500x

you may need an alternate car seat that fits in a car...wholy.
I assume this is it? I think I identified the issue...
Ford Bronco Sport First Issue w/ FE Bronco Sport - Infant Car seat! test_1500x

you may need an alternate car seat that fits in a car...wholy.
We have a standard Graco convertible car seat as well, same issue. What’s ironic is that the Doona folds down to be smaller than the Graco car seat.

OP
OP
ChupaKobra

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It's not the car LOL. That car seat would have issues with alot of cars. Why call it a Bronco issue because of an aftermarket item?
Ironically the seat fits in a car as small as a Focus hatchback without any issues.. another friend has one that owns a Mini Cooper, plenty of room. Never would I have thought there would be an issue with the BS because so many friends have the same seat and smaller cars!!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
We have a standard Graco convertible car seat as well, same issue. What’s ironic is that the Doona folds down to be smaller than the Graco car seat.
wow...that's just crazy. I guess things have changed a lot in twenty years. The idea is incredibly cool, good luck to you I hope you find the solution.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ironically the seat fits in a car as small as a Focus hatchback without any issues.. another friend has one that owns a Mini Cooper, plenty of room. Never would I have thought there would be an issue with the BS because so many friends have the same seat and smaller cars!!
I wonder if it has to do with the seat angles in the rear seating? I said my son is a bean pole. his legs are really long and that was a big factor in buying the bronco...would he fit on long trips. My wife is about the same, 5'8" ish...again I hope there is an easy fix. I guess in the end, you could go all 1970s, screw the car seat, have mom hold the kid in your lap, or let the kids bounce around in the back cargo area with the seats folded down. Somehow we all survived. (100% kidding...not law enforcement approved...please do not try this at home, or upload it to youtube.)

OP
OP
ChupaKobra

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I wonder if it has to do with the seat angles in the rear seating? I said my son is a bean pole. his legs are really long and that was a big factor in buying the bronco...would he fit on long trips. My wife is about the same, 5'8" ish...again I hope there is an easy fix. I guess in the end, you could go all 1970s, screw the car seat, have mom hold the kid in your lap, or let the kids bounce around in the back cargo area with the seats folded down. Somehow we all survived. (100% kidding...not law enforcement approved...please do not try this at home, or upload it to youtube.)
?? I think we will go the safer route!

I have had friends, in laws, etc all sit in the back seat, all of which are over 6 foot. No issues with fitting. It’s more along the lines of what you referenced, the angle of the seats.

Because the back seats are slightly pitched it seems to be causing the issue of how it hits the back of the front passenger seat.

OP
OP
ChupaKobra

ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
?? I think we will go the safer route!

I have had friends, in laws, etc all sit in the back seat, all of which are over 6 foot. No issues with fitting. It’s more along the lines of what you referenced, the angle of the seats.

Because the back seats are slightly pitched it seems to be causing the issue of how it hits the back of the front passenger seat.
“It” being the car seat.

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My daughter just turned 4 and I have to move the passenger seat pretty far forward in order for her to sit comfortably. If Im in the passenger seat its pretty cramped for me. Our old 2012 Escape we traded in had no issues with this and was definitely more spacious inside.
Sponsored