dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Great start! Throw a roof top tent up there and I'd be all set. Until then the bed in back is what I'll be doing. ?

Rinzler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nice! What’s your gear for the awning and rails?

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Oh nice, you built a platform, mind me asking how tall you are and how well you fit? I'm 6'2"and am toying with the idea of building a platform for my badlands when she comes.

OP
OP
swamis

swamis

Big Bend
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Nice! What’s your gear for the awning and rails?
The awning is the Yakima Slimshady 6.5' and the rails are Yakima Jetstream on Timberline towers.

OP
OP
swamis

swamis

Big Bend
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh nice, you built a platform, mind me asking how tall you are and how well you fit? I'm 6'2"and am toying with the idea of building a platform for my badlands when she comes.
I'm 5'2" and my gf is 5'7". We both fit fine but I think anything over 5'10" or so would be hard to sleep fully stretched out.

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@swamis would you mind adding some pictures of your interior set up for the platform? I am planning on some sort of platform or inflatable solution for mine. Always get an idea I hadn’t thought of when checking out what others have done. Thanks!

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
sweet setup, i'm liking that awning!

OP
OP
swamis

swamis

Big Bend
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's some images of the platform. I used a sheet of plywood, 2x4s, outdoor carpet, wood screws, and a hinge for the head section. With the head section up the bed can be laid down with the seats in a normal driving position. With the head section (8 inches) down the seats must be pushed forward. Both sections can be stored in the back to utilize the 2nd row seating.
Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210822_164953

Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210823_175546

Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210912_165901

OP
OP
swamis

swamis

Big Bend
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the interior we used a 2" twin mattress topper I got for $30 at Walmart. I also got two storage bins that fit nicely under the platform. These stored pretty much everything but our cooler and clothing. A couple blankets and our pillows. Both of us had a restful sleep and our dog did well sleeping at our feet (it was her first time camping). I had concerns about being able to open and shut the hatch from the inside. Both are not an issue, although to open the hatch I had to utilize the double press key fob button. Having some space on either side of the bed was nice for storing things you want nearby when sleeping (water, light, toilet paper, etc).
Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210918_134814

Last edited:

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's some images of the platform. I used a sheet of plywood, 2x4s, outdoor carpet, wood screws, and a hinge for the head section. With the head section up the bed can be laid down with the seats in a normal driving position. With the head section (8 inches) down the seats must be pushed forward. Both sections can be stored in the back to utilize the 2nd row seating.
Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210822_164953

Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210823_175546

Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210912_165901

So in the last picture the upper/forward section is folded back on the rear?

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
For the interior we used a 2" twin mattress topper I got for $30 at Walmart. I also got two storage bins that fit nicely under the platform. These stored pretty much everything but our cooler and clothing. A couple blankets and our pillows. Both of us had a restful sleep and our dog did well sleeping at our feet (it was her first time camping). I had concerns about being able to open and shut the door from the inside. Both are not an issue, although to open the hatch I had to utilize the double press key fob button. Having some space on either side of the bed was nice for storing things you want nearby when sleeping (water, light, toilet paper, etc).
Ford Bronco Sport First car camping trip with the Bronco! 20210918_134814
Excellent job…. Wish my wife would go camping