Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Before i commit to doing anything - is there any reason i cant judt remove that carboard thing for a template and fabricate a skidplate that matches ... i noticed a few points that i could attach it a little better - qnd possibly make a little better "oild access and drain plug accessibility but as far as the plate goes ... would that not work just fine?
Sponsored

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Before i commit to doing anything - is there any reason i cant judt remove that carboard thing for a template and fabricate a skidplate that matches ... i noticed a few points that i could attach it a little better - qnd possibly make a little better "oild access and drain plug accessibility but as far as the plate goes ... would that not work just fine?

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
As far as the plate itself ... it appears mostly flat tbh... stopped by a dealership yesterday just to ask about ordering one and they were useless.... got a long weekend.. maybe ill pull that off and see - just wish it wasnt 100 degrees hah

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love to see what you come up with. I have a Big Bend so no skid plate but would love to add one. Probably add a 1.5’ level/lift as well to compensate for any added weight on the front end.

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Love to see what you come up with. I have a Big Bend so no skid plate but would love to add one. Probably add a 1.5’ level/lift as well to compensate for any added weight on the front end.
For sure i will update it as i go .. thinking of leaning toward aluminum diamond plate if it looks like i wont have to weld which wont really add any signiciant weight... im still leaning toward the level kit just to have it ... talked to robbie at fordrangerlifts about it/ instqllation etc already just havent clicked that purchase button (waiting for monthly bonus check haha) got q few errands to run and ill likely pull it off this afternoon unless my wife has plans for me that im not yet aware of.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I’ve been thinking about making one out of UHMWPE. The badlands skid plate being totally flat, leaves the front of the bumper cover and bottom of the radiator vulnerable.

The 4WP one that never materialized had a nice bend upward
Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY A00323C8-F19C-4B70-9594-4517A0BC2BA4

I’ve heard friction can be an issue with aluminum skid pates, not sliding over rocks as easily as steel or polymer. I’d avoid diamond plate.

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I’ve been thinking about making one out of UHMWPE. The badlands skid plate being totally flat, leaves the front of the bumper cover and bottom of the radiator vulnerable.

The 4WP one that never materialized had a nice bend upward
Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY A00323C8-F19C-4B70-9594-4517A0BC2BA4

I’ve heard friction can be an issue with aluminum skid pates, not sliding over rocks as easily as steel or polymer. I’d avoid diamond plate.
For sure. Aluminum will tear... leaning toward 1/8-3/16 plate steel after getting under there

Last edited:

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Alright heres the actual piece(front being the bottom in the picture)
It is held on with 12? T30 torx screws and two little push clips (or chingladeras) as far as mounting a new one that is flat ill have to get back with yall - because that rectangle cutout (upper right)is actually a low hanging mount im not thrilled about
Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_162559

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
So here are some photos of underneath naked... i dont think mounting a new one will be super complicated.. as you can more or less get away (it appears) with. Aflat plate... only trouble area is that low hanging mount... and securing up front... ive got q few idea... some good. Some questionavle. One probably bad ... there are plenty of areas id feel comfortable drilling or drilling and tapping and a few existing id be comfortable using existing bolts.... with minimal bending or some strong backs that would be fine.... OR (no for the bad idea.) I could alter the angle of the"nudge bar" weld some platesand have it bolt on to it and wrap under from the front.

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_163156

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_162734

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_162838

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
The actual piece is like 36x40 or something so ill see what i can do about getting a 4' piece. If you used 1/8, after it is cut out it should be rough est. around 40lbs .. maybee less just eyeballing it but .. leaning toward 3/16 now judt bc it is easier for me to get ... and find areas where i can lost some weight

Last edited:

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The “bad” idea actually may give it the most secure attachment in the front. From what I saw under mine it looked to attach to the plastic bumper.

So here are some photos of underneath naked... i dont think mounting a new one will be super complicated.. as you can more or less get away (it appears) with. Aflat plate... only trouble area is that low hanging mount... and securing up front... ive got q few idea... some good. Some questionavle. One probably bad ... there are plenty of areas id feel comfortable drilling or drilling and tapping and a few existing id be comfortable using existing bolts.... with minimal bending or some strong backs that would be fine.... OR (no for the bad idea.) I could alter the angle of the"nudge bar" weld some platesand have it bolt on to it and wrap under from the front.

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_163156

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_162734

Ford Bronco Sport Fabricating Skidplate DIY 20210904_162838

OP
OP
Reklussloth

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
The “bad” idea actually may give it the most secure attachment in the front. From what I saw under mine it looked to attach to the plastic bumper.
You qre correct on the front attachment ... but to the left and right decent mounting areas ... and the recessed torx just in front of where it attaches up front are actually on a light weight cross member... with 3/16 im not overly concerned with it bolted on either side ... its stout stuff... i like the wrap around idea ... ; but only in 1/8 option.... so my thought is a lip bent upwards under the plastic for rigidity but ill have to really figure it all out when i have it up on a lift and a piece of metal in my hand... maybe Monday
Sponsored