Every Bronco Sport trim other than the Badlands kinda....sucks

OP

Island

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
I looked at my Forester as my place holder vehicle. I was told how wonderful Subarus are. So I got one when I finally gave up my 2001 Escape. Well, thank heaven Ford came out with something I like. That Forester needs to go. And I went back and forth, Badlands or Outer Banks. Decided I didn't need the Badlands. As long as the Outer Banks tows my very small camper, I'm good. Order is in.
Can I see the config?

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think the issue here is the 2.0 not being available on other trims. I don’t think you’d see these kind of threads if the 2.0 was optional on at least one other trim. Look at the Bronco, you can option the biggest engine on all trims. It would be nice for the sport to be the same.
For me personally, I don’t even need a 4x4 vehicle, so the badlands is probably overkill. The outer banks would probably be the trim I’d go for since it seems like it would be the best daily driver and I like it’s 18” wheels better than any of the other wheels available on other trims. The only deal breaker for me is the 1.5. I’ve had the 2.0L for years now in my current vehicle and I can’t ever see myself downgrading.
I’m sure plenty of people would still take the 1.5 due to its lower price and better fuel economy and be quite happy with it but it’s still nice to have choices.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I'm just not a fan of when people call an entire thread dogshit when said thread has been pretty decent. If I didn't like people disagreeing with me then I would've responded to your other 4 posts defending the sport.

Also you do know I LIKE the sport right? I said it in the OP:

"I love the Bronco Sport, I really do, it's badass but I can't convince myself that the lower trims are worth buying over some other options"

Also I did say the other trims sucked but not so much dog-shit, yes the I-3 is dogshit but I don't think the whole vehicle is.
I do not believe I am summarizing your original post inaccurately. I understand you like the badlands bronco sport. I also understand you do not think the entire lower trimmed vehicle is dog shit obviously because it shares a lot of the same things features and specifications as the top trim except for the engine and other differences ofcourse.

You said the other trims suck. Dog shit was your opinion about the 1.5L. Well you can’t get a lower level trim without it so therefore they are inevitably dog shit or at least that’s what you are implying by specifically stating they “suck”.

Define suck.. maybe I’m misinterpreting the word. If you mean “not as good as the top trim”... um isn’t that obvious?

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I think the issue here is the 2.0 not being available on other trims. I don’t think you’d see these kind of threads if the 2.0 was optional on at least one other trim. Look at the Bronco, you can option the biggest engine on all trims. It would be nice for the sport to be the same.
For me personally, I don’t even need a 4x4 vehicle, so the badlands is probably overkill. The outer banks would probably be the trim I’d go for since it seems like it would be the best daily driver and I like it’s 18” wheels better than any of the other wheels available on other trims. The only deal breaker for me is the 1.5. I’ve had the 2.0L for years now in my current vehicle and I can’t ever see myself downgrading.
I’m sure plenty of people would still take the 1.5 due to its lower price and better fuel economy and be quite happy with it but it’s still nice to have choices.
I completely agree. Should be an option. I personally definitely want the 2.0L BUT if it wasn’t financially wise for me to go top trim, I would easily chose a lower trim bronco sport with the 1.5L over any of the current visually-unappealing/not rugged alternatives. Why? because they don’t suck. Not as great, but still great IMO

OP

Island

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
I do not believe I am summarizing your original post inaccurately. I understand you like the badlands bronco sport. I also understand you do not think the entire lower trimmed vehicle is dog shit obviously because it shares a lot of the same things features and specifications as the top trim except for the engine and other differences ofcourse.

You said the other trims suck. Dog shit was your opinion about the 1.5L. Well you can’t get a lower level trim without it so therefore they are inevitably dog shit or at least that’s what you are implying by specifically stating they “suck”.

Define suck.. maybe I’m misinterpreting the word. If you mean “not as good as the top trim”... um isn’t that obvious?
If you didn't incorrectly summarize my post then why did you say: "This is a bronco sport forum.. You might run across a comment actually praising it" why would you feel the need to say that if you saw the part of the OP where said I liked the sport? Is "it" the lower trims?

Having something suck is better then having something be dogshit, something can have a dogshit quality and still just suck, just like how something can have a bad quality can still be good.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
If you didn't incorrectly summarize my post then why did you say: "This is a bronco sport forum.. You might run across a comment actually praising it" why would you feel the need to say that if you saw the part of the OP where said I liked the sport? Is "it" the lower trims?

Having something suck is better then having something be dogshit, something can have a dogshit quality and still just suck, just like how something can have a bad quality can still be good.
ok buddy. Got you. All bronco sport trims except badlands suck*

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
I wish I wouldn't have let myself get dragged into this miserable thread because my real issue isn't with the trim level, rather the 1.5L. I don't apologize for voicing disdain over having to get a Badlands JUST to get a more conventional and applauded powertrain, but I probably should have kept it in the powertrain section.
I forget that most vehicle purchases are emotional rather than analytical. Many will opt for the 1.5 solely on the vehicle's style with little concern for the underlying technology.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I wish I wouldn't have let myself get dragged into this miserable thread because my real issue isn't with the trim level, rather the 1.5L. I don't apologize for voicing disdain over having to get a Badlands JUST to get a more conventional and applauded powertrain, but I probably should have kept it in the powertrain section.
I forget that most vehicle purchases are emotional rather than analytical. Many will opt for the 1.5 solely on the vehicle's style with little concern for the underlying technology.
I sort of agree, it’s both an emotional and analytical purchase but most of the time there is concern with the tech and features.

I say keep the discussions coming. The more heated, the better, the faster we get new info to discuss/and throw poop at each other again. I think we are being civil, attacking opinions and ideas instead of each other.
I’ll stand down for now with rebelle rally I believe that should keep me occupied

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I'm buying the Badlands specifically because I want more POWA... do I need it? I don't know. I'm coming from a 265hp 2.5L Turbo.. so I wanted something close.

With that said.. I still see little 1.5/1.8L NA cars pass me on the freeway.. why? because I don't feel like speeding and getting a ticket. So I suppose that those cars have enough oomph to get them to the speed they want.. it might just take a little bit longer. My mom 2012 Civic with a 1.8 140 hp engine is peppy enough to get around town and pass semis when needed (the car itself is darn light though).

As for the Longevity of the 1.5L, I know nothing of.. so I got no valuable knowledge for this thread. Any odd numbered cylindered engine should have a bit more vibrations than an even numbered cylindered engine so I suspect like someone said, it would need more attention of the motor mounts a bit sooner than the 2.0L

Though with all that said, I would agree that if the 2.0L was an option that would be great.. and the Badlands & FE should have the 2.0L standard with the 2.3L optional...

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
I say keep the discussions coming. The more heated, the better, the faster we get new info to discuss/and throw poop at each other again. I think we are being civil, attacking opinions and ideas instead of each other.
No need to sling poop just for sake of slinging poop, the limited engine option issue thing is one topic I'm passionate about.
I agree that some civil debate can be healthy, hopefully the Ford marketeers are eavesdropping.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
No need to sling poop just for sake of slinging poop, the limited engine option issue thing is one topic I'm passionate about.
I agree that some civil debate can be healthy, hopefully the Ford marketeers are eavesdropping.
I totally agree with giving the option to upgrade the engine. I share the same passion with you on that.

My point though is that... although the lower trims don’t have another option than the 1.5L, they won’t be underpowered and they won’t suck. Sorry if any opinions were harmed in my poop slinging claim that the lower trimmed 1.5L bronco sports won’t suck.

Njia

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT5, Ford Escape
The ground clearance on everything other then Badlands suck, like really? only 7.8 inches?!?!?!? Thats LESS then a AWD CRV! It has 8.2 inches!
Off-road capability is a lot more than just ground clearance. Approach and departure angles (i.e. basically, the angle formed from the tire patch to the farthest tip of the front or rear bumpers), and break-over angle (i.e. the between-the-wheels angles between the tire patch and the lowest part of the vehicle) are more important if you're trying to climb over obstacles. The approach and departure angles depend on overhang and tire/wheel size, whereas break-over angle depends on wheelbase, tire/wheel size, and whichever bit between the wheels is closest to the turf. Trim levels below BL are pretty respectable, and better than the Forrester's approach and departure angles of 22.9 and 24.6 degrees, respectively.

plumber26

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
Ground clearance would be one of the first measures I'd look at in a vehicle like this.

While I largely agree with Nija above I am reminded of those impressive Unimog videos shot at MBs proving grounds where the course has been built with concrete inclines, pits, side hills, stair cases etc. They can show almost a clinical demonstration of maximum clearance angles, tilt and so forth. But my own use expectation for off highway in a vehicle like the BS is I'd probably want the undercarriage ground clearance for errant rocks or irregular road surface before I'd need the max angles in and out of cross ditches, for example. No creek I've ever driven across had a smooth, super firm and clearly visible bottom.

When driving along a pothole field, deep ruts, one side in a water eroded channel or even crossing the berm from a freshly graded dirt road ground clearance can matter more.

As for the trims, I'm only considering the Badlands base. Others may feel differently but I don't view the Sport as a luxury type vehicle so the "loaded with options" stuff doesn't really matter to me. Again, personal taste. To each his own.

As for the 1.5L, IDK anything about it. My thought would be it's probably not crap if Ford is offering it in this day and age but even if I felt otherwise I expect some on here are expectant and excited about their coming purchase so there's no need for me to rain on their parade. Good luck to them.

Edit for spelling

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2012 Ford Fusion
I know we like to talk about ground clearance. 7.8” verses 8.8” for example, but what happens to that ground clearance when you load 800 lbs of people inside?

plumber26

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a
I know we like to talk about ground clearance. 7.8” verses 8.8” for example, but what happens to that ground clearance when you load 800 lbs of people inside?
It's going to be reduced. Pretty much the case for every competitor. How much will depend on the deflection rate of the suspension. IDK how the optional extra 1" is achieved but if just the spring rate is increased that could give a lift and the resulting higher ground clearance, plus sag less under that 800lb load.

I'd prefer a firmer vs softer ride over pavement if that meant reduced suspension compression off highway (less bottoming out). Of course there can be a lot to suspension design.

For ground clearance the minimum required for the job at hand is all that is needed. How durable longterm the vehicle is to that job is another question.