Every Bronco Sport trim other than the Badlands kinda....sucks

Island

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
Every trim other then Badlands has the dogshit 3 cylinder, a engine that has not been well received by mechanics due to it's poor construction evident in this video:
The ground clearance on everything other then Badlands suck, like really? only 7.8 inches?!?!?!? Thats LESS then a AWD CRV! It has 8.2 inches!

If your not willing to pony up to a badlands then your better of just buying a Subaru Forester, yes the sport does have it's advantages but really the Non-Badlands sports can't hold a candle to the Forester, more cargo room, more passenger room, and better offroad.

I love the Bronco Sport, I really do, it's badass but I can't convince myself that the lower trims are worth buying over some other options

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
The base is a better looking vehicle than any top trim vehicle in its class IMO. That’s worthy enough for some to choose any 1.5L trim. Many people buy vehicles to get from point A to point B by way of paved roads and 7.8 inches of clearance is plenty. Base is a very capable vehicle for $26,000 also with a nice utilitarian exterior and interior. If my budget was 26,000 I would choose the base BS over any Subaru, Honda, or any doggy poopoo competitor. I don’t care what the stats say on paper, BS ANY trim, is a great looking vehicle that is capable at a good price.

The hate was strong on all BS trims until the BL BS was seen in moab. Then the collective tone went from a “boxy escape” to “mighty off-road suv”. It’s time to take the BASE off-road to once again silence the haters. “Dog shit 3 cylinder” to “goes anywhere a Subaru can go all while not looking like a jellybean”

Yes there will still be haters comparing it to $60000 vehicles but for $26000 it is a great all around vehicle.

Last edited:

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
I agree that it is refreshing not to have another jellybean, but that 3-cylinder is dog-crap.
I would have expected more ground clearance than my CX-5 (8.5") from something Ford is promoting as "rugged and off-road worthy."
I'm not as concerned about the ground clearance as I am the engine. It is best suited for a bottom-feeder econobox.

The only thing worse they could have done is put a CVT tranny in the Sport, that would have disqualified it for me. The 3-cylinder has eliminated the lower trim levels. A lot of people look more than skin-deep when trying to avoid the jellybean.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I agree that it is refreshing not to have another jellybean, but that 3-cylinder is dog-crap.
I would have expected more ground clearance than my CX-5 (8.5") from something Ford is promoting as "rugged and off-road worthy."
I'm not as concerned about the ground clearance as I am the engine. It is best suited for a bottom-feeder econobox.

The only thing worse they could have done is put a CVT tranny in the Sport, that would have disqualified it for me. The 3-cylinder has eliminated the lower trim levels. A lot of people look more than skin-deep when trying to avoid the jellybean.
People will buy the lower trims and be happy will them..

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I for one appreciate any relevant criticism or at least different takes on the BS. I'm not mechanically savvy enough to work on my vehicles (nor have the tools or space) and one should compare the BS to other vehicles.

If not, perhaps you haven't asked if the BS will fit your needs. And for me, the Badlands IS the only BS I would even consider. That's not to say the price point and functionality of lower trims may suite other people's needs just fine.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I love the Bronco Sport, I really do, it's badass...
Follow up, got any good reviews of the 2.0L EcoBoost I‑4? What are we getting with the BL performance wise, i.e., engine, transmission, reliability, maintenance?

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
There are good reviews of the 1.5L also. You will also find bad reviews. If you personally have the money for a better engine and prefer better then you will also give the 1.5L a bad review. But to say the badlands is the only trim worth buying, when so much more factors go into consideration when comparing vehicles than just the engine, is really speaking for your personal preference and not an actual fact.

Many people will rather a base bronco sport 1.5L than a V6 cherokee. Many people also will not. For many people the base bronco won’t suck, just people that don’t like the 1.5L.
63657FE0-5D37-4EE3-B150-C58399B446C1.jpeg
ED15E26D-BEA7-40E9-8463-6547E698C6A1.jpeg

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
If your not willing to pony up to a badlands then your better of just buying a Subaru Forester, yes the sport does have it's advantages but really the Non-Badlands sports can't hold a candle to the Forester, more cargo room, more passenger room, and better offroad.
I too can find negative reviews on the Forester engine. How exactly is the Forester better off-road? The less than 1 inch of more ground clearance? You do understand a set of larger tires are cheaper to add to a base bronco sport than getting a top trim forester that now has less ground clearance and an “underpowered” engine.
3C9678C4-9CC6-440B-B02B-1D05444339AF.jpeg

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
When I was shopping for my last compact SUV/crossover, the Forester was on my list as it had a manual transmission in 2016. There were a lot of well-known issues with oil consumption and the engine was buzzy which led me to the Mazda. These are not my opinions, read the Forester forums from that timeframe.

As for the Bronco with the 1.5L. There will be people who buy the lower trim levels and they will be happy with them, at least initially. Some probably longer. There are some who do not keep vehicles long and they will not have issues with some of the 1.5L's shortcomings, including the wet timing belt. Additionally, the vibration will probably manifest itself more as the vehicle ages, the isolation mounts will wear having to deal with the inherent imbalance.
As for "always wanting the more expensive vehicle", that is not me. I typically have to buy near the base model to get a manual transmission, so my Mazda and my Colorado are humbly optioned. I am usually content with near-base models. What I don't want is an engine that is reminiscent of the early 70's Vega engine (disposable). If Ford is so confident in this cost-cutter, then they should offer a 150K mile warranty on it. There are too many technical reviews that are concerning regarding longevity and long-term satisfaction.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Right... so to summarize this thread:

Everyone that doesn’t get badlands will be unhappy. If they are happy, it will only be initially 😂 some will be longer. 😂 This thread is 🐩💩 btw

OP

Island

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
Right... so to summarize this thread:

Everyone that doesn’t get badlands will be unhappy. If they are happy, it will only be initially 😂 some will be longer. 😂 This thread is 🐩💩 btw
Where did I say that? Saying a vehicle isn't worth buying over other options in the market isn't saying that everyone who buys one will be unhappy. I think the Chevy Tahoe is a much better buy then a Sequoia but that doesn't mean that I think NO ONE will be happy if they buy a Sequoia.

Stop being so sour I'm criticizing the Sport, if you want to see people praise it endlessly go watch "First Impressions" videos about it on YouTube.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Where did I say that? Saying a vehicle isn't worth buying over other options in the market isn't saying that everyone who buys one will be unhappy. I think the Chevy Tahoe is a much better buy then a Sequoia but that doesn't mean that I think NO ONE will be happy if they buy a Sequoia.

Stop being so sour I'm criticizing the Sport, if you want to see people praise it endlessly go watch "First Impressions" videos about it on YouTube.
I didn’t say you said that. I was summarizing the entire thread. To summarize what you said is: All the trims suck except the badlands/ they are dog shit.

I’m not sour about it. I’m getting the top trim because it’s nice and I can not because the other trims suck.

You joined yesterday to add that to the bronco sport discussion. You have a right to do that.. although if you don’t want people to disagree with you about that, then post on a jeep forum or something. You can say it sucks, I can say it doesn’t. Maybe you are sour about me not agreeing they suck 🤔

This is a bronco sport forum.. You might run across a comment actually praising it. Just a heads up, they aren’t being sour they might actually be happy with this vehicle.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124
I didn’t say you said that. I was summarizing the entire thread. To summarize what you said is: All the trims suck except the badlands/ they are dog shit.

I’m not sour about it. I’m getting the top trim because it’s nice and I can not because the other trims suck.

You joined yesterday to add that to the bronco sport discussion. You have a right to do that.. although if you don’t want people to disagree with you about that, then post on a jeep forum or something. You can say it sucks, I can say it doesn’t. Maybe you are sour about me not agreeing they suck 🤔

This is a bronco sport forum.. You might run across a comment actually praising it. Just a heads up, they aren’t being sour they might actually be happy with this vehicle.
thanks for this. I’m glad this forum does let us ignore threads when they seem topic.

OP

Island

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I'm just not a fan of when people call an entire thread dogshit when said thread has been pretty decent. If I didn't like people disagreeing with me then I would've responded to your other 4 posts defending the sport.

Also you do know I LIKE the sport right? I said it in the OP:

"I love the Bronco Sport, I really do, it's badass but I can't convince myself that the lower trims are worth buying over some other options"

Also I did say the other trims sucked but not so much dog-shit, yes the I-3 is dogshit but I don't think the whole vehicle is.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I looked at my Forester as my place holder vehicle. I was told how wonderful Subarus are. So I got one when I finally gave up my 2001 Escape. Well, thank heaven Ford came out with something I like. That Forester needs to go. And I went back and forth, Badlands or Outer Banks. Decided I didn't need the Badlands. As long as the Outer Banks tows my very small camper, I'm good. Order is in.