fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
I would undoubtedly believe dudes on a forum over an engineer who designs the engine and specs and tests those parts, fuels, and tuning. There used to be a time when years lived and life experience was considered guidance
What time are you referencing? I forgot everyone left cars at factory spec before 2020.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I do care, which is why I asked. Maybe someone here knows the sport has a different fuel pump or injectors from the other vehicles with the same motor and its a bad idea for whatever reason, or someone can confirm the powertrain and fuel system are the same as the other platforms that people have been running it successfully and the risk is minimal.

A lot of topics on forums go against OEM recommendations. Ford also has recommended tire sizes, will you be going into posts where people are upsizing tires and reminding them of the ford specs even if that isn't what they asked for? Lift kits change driving dynamics outside of what for engineered. Hope you're preaching against those. Tunes void powertrain warranties. Tint reduces visibility.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/got-my-letters-emblem-blacked-out-w-windows-and-tail-lights-tint.2400/ This guy tinted his taillights, including the brake light. Illegal and potentially dangerous. You think it looks great though. Doubt Ford or the NHTSA agree. If he gets rear ended he's probably SOL.

I asked if people had specific experience, you obviously don't have that experience. Whenever turbo swaps start happening, I hope you're in those threads to be a turd in the punchbowl.

What does find something constructive to play with even mean? I've got a vw that runs 11s on e30 (VW frowns on track use) to play with. I'm guessing that isn't constructive.
Long ago we played with octane boosters.
That did not turn out well because we didn't know what we were doing. The constructive comment. From what I've seen in this forum people are getting 20 to 25% increases in torque and HP down low on the tac with ECU flashes with Dyno sheets to back it up.
That's what I would look into if I needed more out of my engine and could not afford more displacement that's found in more expensive models.
Ethanol changes flame propagation https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0016236119320952
This is but one resource that gets into why I would not add things to my fuel in my small engine that's already engineered to operate at near max design limits.
And this leads back to why I am so glad I'm able to buy a new engine.

Last edited:

s-hendrix

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazdaspeed3
I wouldn't discount the intellect of some forum members. There are all sorts of people from different professions and hobbies in here. Sure many are probably idiots who talk out of their behind but others could very well be engineers with years of experience. The numerous perspectives create the opportunity for all kinds of insight into this platform.

I've seen first hand an automotive forum push a vehicle's platform and provide their own R&D quicker than any aftermarket company. On numerous occasions they corrected the aftermarket companies issues that were overlooked and the company made reiterations based on the forum user's trials. It became so frequent that forum members began to create and sell components they designed and fabricated. These parts ended up being cheaper and performed better.

This forum i've personally witnessed all of this occur on was Mazdaspeedforums. Interestingly enough, Ford had some stake in Mazda and they shared alot of parts. The Mazdaspeed platform used the 2.3 liter inline 4 cylinder turbocharged MZR DISI. After Mazda and Ford split around 2010, this engine was modified and adopted to power Ford's Ecoboost line. The Focus ST's turbo 2.0 is extremely similar to the MZR from the Mazdaspeed.

I'm not saying this is the case always of course, but you shouldn't overlook the capabilities of what a group of people with a common interest are capable of.

Intellectual authority does not always equal intellectual superioriority.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Go for it! It is your money...and your brand new vehicle that is still under warranty.

Here is Car and Driver's Test Results of a 2021 Bronco Sports Badlands model with a 2.0 EcoTech on premium gas.

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.9 sec
100 mph: 17.3 sec
1/4 mile: 14.5 sec @ 93 mph

For a small/mid size 4X4 (AWD) SUV - Those are very impressive numbers! (and very close to my old 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 stock numbers)

Meanwhile - A comparison to some of Ford's Mustang iconic models/years over the years that were designed to go fast in a straight line, corner and brake better than the average vehicle let alone SUV...but that Mustang isn't going to plow through water, ruts, mud or sand. ?

https://www.mustangspecs.com/mustang-engines/mustang-performance/

s-hendrix

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazdaspeed3
Go for it! It is your money...and your brand new vehicle that is still under warranty.

Here is Car and Driver's Test Results of a 2021 Bronco Sports Badlands model with a 2.0 EcoTech on premium gas.

C/D TEST RESULTS

For a small/mid size 4X4 (AWD) SUV - Those are very impressive numbers! (and very close to my old 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 stock numbers)

Meanwhile - A comparison to some of Ford's Mustang iconic models/years over the years that were designed to go fast in a straight line, corner and brake better than the average vehicle let alone SUV...but that Mustang isn't going to plow through water, ruts, mud or sand. ?

Technology is astounding. It's amazing to see what modern low displacement engines are capable of.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Long ago we played with octane boosters.
That did not turn out well because we didn't know what we were doing. The constructive comment. From what I've seen in this forum people are getting 20 to 25% increases in torque and HP down low on the tac with ECU flashes with Dyno sheets to back it up.
That's what I would look into if I needed more out of my engine and could not afford more displacement that's found in more expensive models.
Ethanol changes flame propagation https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0016236119320952
This is but one resource that gets into why I would not add things to my fuel in my small engine that's already engineered to operate at near max design limits.
And this leads back to why I am so glad I'm able to buy a new engine.
~E30 isn't for the octane boost. Unless you're changing the timing with a tune you can't take advantage of the additional octane. e30 burns cleaner and and contributes to better combustion efficiency and helps with cooling the cylinder heads which improves performance in hotter temperatures where turbocharged engines begin to suffer (yes an intercooler would be better). I've driven tens of thousands of miles with it in other modern 4 cylinders and done literally hundreds of track passes with it. Worked with engineers testing some of their products with it. Not trying to sell you on it.

With a few exceptions, most modern cars come from the factory producing nowhere near max design limits, which is why, as you stated, you can unlock so much extra power with a simple tune. If they were already maxed, the gains from the tune would be lower, or the tune would break stuff. If this was my only car it'd be getting a tune, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Given the other garage occupant, I'll maybe take it to the track once for 2/3 passes or do some dragy pulls because I'm curious.

I'm not really concerned about future owners of my cars.

Back to the focus and fiesta forums I guess since the answer to the original question appears to be no one has tried it yet.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

C/D TEST RESULTS

It's super impressive. I don't plan on running e30 in this car regularly or even semi regularly. Asking was half curiosity, half me wanting to ruin my buddy with a stock GTIs day once and figured go for broke.

Funny you posted the mustang times. My VW (car 621) is faster than every mustang on that list save for the current and prior gt500 (which coincidentally I'll have beat once we get a true e30 tune uploaded.) They'd walk me beyond a quarter mile though. Proud of my stock turbo 4 cylinder.

Ford Bronco Sport Ethanol in the stock fueling system IMG_5800

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I wouldn't discount the intellect of some forum members. There are all sorts of people from different professions and hobbies in here. Sure many are probably idiots who talk out of their behind but others could very well be engineers with years of experience. The numerous perspectives create the opportunity for all kinds of insight into this platform.

I've seen first hand an automotive forum push a vehicle's platform and provide their own R&D quicker than any aftermarket company. On numerous occasions they corrected the aftermarket companies issues that were overlooked and the company made reiterations based on the forum user's trials. It became so frequent that forum members began to create and sell components they designed and fabricated. These parts ended up being cheaper and performed better.

This forum i've personally witnessed all of this occur on was Mazdaspeedforums. Interestingly enough, Ford had some stake in Mazda and they shared alot of parts. The Mazdaspeed platform used the 2.3 liter inline 4 cylinder turbocharged MZR DISI. After Mazda and Ford split around 2010, this engine was modified and adopted to power Ford's Ecoboost line. The Focus ST's turbo 2.0 is extremely similar to the MZR from the Mazdaspeed.

I'm not saying this is the case always of course, but you shouldn't overlook the capabilities of what a group of people with a common interest are capable of.

Intellectual authority does not always equal intellectual superioriority.
Trust me I am in no way discrediting a forum from a perspective of intelligence, background, or knowledge. I get it. My thought was lost in the moment to prove a point...oh well. My own background would probably be a prime example of that very statement. Is what it is. I solicited advice which was received as insult. It's not my Bronco. It's not my outcome. Peace be with all.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trust me I am in no way discrediting a forum from a perspective of intelligence, background, or knowledge. I get it. My thought was lost in the moment to prove a point...oh well. My own background would probably be a prime example of that very statement. Is what it is. I solicited advice which was received as insult. It's not my Bronco. It's not my outcome. Peace be with all.
You're good. I'm abrasive.