Engine loudly tapping each cycle when cold

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello all,

I have noticed recently what when I start my BSBB when it is less than about 55degF, each rev has a fairly distinct and loud tap to it, and when accelerating it gets very loud.

I know that at low oil viscosity from low temp along with a cold angine can cause some odd sounds, but it is not that cold, and these are much louder than I am used to. Even just starting the engine and waiting for it to warm up makes these sounds.

Any ideas if this is something to be concerned about, or if there’s anything I should do? I try to remember to start it about 10m prior to leaving but am forgetful. The sound happening at first engine start at 800RPM makes me want to bring it in just in case.

fred.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have noticed recently what when I start my BSBB when it is less than about 55degF, each rev has a fairly distinct and loud tap to it, and when accelerating it gets very loud.

I know that at low oil viscosity from low temp along with a cold angine can cause some odd sounds, but it is not that cold, and these are much louder than I am used to. Even just starting the engine and waiting for it to warm up makes these sounds.

Any ideas if this is something to be concerned about, or if there’s anything I should do? I try to remember to start it about 10m prior to leaving but am forgetful. The sound happening at first engine start at 800RPM makes me want to bring it in just in case.

fred.
55F is not that cold, and your engine uses a very low-viscosity oil, so I don't think that has anything to do with the noise you're hearing. If it was my car I would get it into the shop immediately. You'll likely have to leave it overnight at the shop so they can start it cold to hear the noise.

BTW, mechanically speaking, a 10-minute warmup is unnecessary. Modern engines use much thinner oil, use computer-controlled fuel delivery, and are manufactured to much closer tolerances than older engines. I certainly wouldn't be stomping on the gas pedal with a cold engine, but a brief 30-second idle after starting--enough time to get your seat belt on, plug in your phone, check your mirrors, etc.--is more than sufficient. Anything more than that is just a waste of fuel.

If you want to start the car early to warm up the cabin go ahead, but it does nothing to benefit the engine.

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
55F is not that cold, and your engine uses a very low-viscosity oil, so I don't think that has anything to do with the noise you're hearing. If it was my car I would get it into the shop immediately. You'll likely have to leave it overnight at the shop so they can start it cold to hear the noise.

BTW, mechanically speaking, a 10-minute warmup is unnecessary. Modern engines use much thinner oil, use computer-controlled fuel delivery, and are manufactured to much closer tolerances than older engines. I certainly wouldn't be stomping on the gas pedal with a cold engine, but a brief 30-second idle after starting--enough time to get your seat belt on, plug in your phone, check your mirrors, etc.--is more than sufficient. Anything more than that is just a waste of fuel.

If you want to start the car early to warm up the cabin go ahead, but it does nothing to benefit the engine.
Thanks Mark, aligns with what I was thinking. Working with modern day engineered components for my job I couldn’t imagine it was typical. I’ll be calling the dealership tomorrow. Need to call about the loose shift cable issue as well, 2 birds 1 stone.

fred.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Do these engines have Exhaust Dampers ? They restrict flow on cold weather start ups & make a clanking or ticking sound when engine rev'ed , spring loaded & Thermal controlled .

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know the sound. It sounds like piston slap.

JKWomack

Outer Banks
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know the sound. It sounds like piston slap.
That's what it feels like to me, too. Maybe a rod bearing issue. Last thing you need is to fling a connecting rod through your block ala the Theta II engines in Kia/Hyundai. Best case - seizure, worst case fire. OP, let us know what you find out, please!

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That's what it feels like to me, too. Maybe a rod bearing issue. Last thing you need is to fling a connecting rod through your block ala the Theta II engines in Kia/Hyundai. Best case - seizure, worst case fire. OP, let us know what you find out, please!
What I am hearing is tomorrow morning I should start her up and redline it right away :)

Will fill in this thread when I get an answer.

fred.

SDFriar713

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
What I am hearing is tomorrow morning I should start her up and redline it right away :)

Will fill in this thread when I get an answer.

fred.

Hey Fred,

I seem to be having similar noises upon cold start up. My '22 Outer Banks is brand new (less than 400 miles) so I want to make sure this didn't turn into a major issue for you. Did you get any answers here?

- Matt

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey Fred,

I seem to be having similar noises upon cold start up. My '22 Outer Banks is brand new (less than 400 miles) so I want to make sure this didn't turn into a major issue for you. Did you get any answers here?

- Matt
Hey Matt, unfortunately been documenting and waiting on this one, been hit or miss on cold days and been recording when I get a chance. I have a oil change coming up and will be asking about it then and will let you know. It is odd, it happens about 25% of the time and I get concerned, then it stops for a week or so, and I forget about it.

fred.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I have the same tapping noise on cold days, especially below 32. It seems to go away once the engine warms up. The last vehicle I had that made similar sound was my '98 Dakota pickup. It had a crushed lifter, but the noise was there all the time.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Fred,
If you're really that concerned, why wouldn't have taken it to a dealer to get it checked out instead of looking for an answer here.
Hopefully you have at least checked the oil level and color.
Good luck.

vipinputhoor

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My BB making this taping noise like boat. And taking few mins drive to gett normal. Its happening cold like -18. Even accelaration is very hard and make noice worst like engine is not getting gas or oil is not flowing.

I took to dealer they didn't find anything unfortunately the day was only -5.

OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I tried to have the dealer look at it when I got an oil change this week, but was turned away because they said it would divert their techs for too long to address the problems I have. Trying to find another dealer that can look at it but I live in a pretty disconnected area.

Will update when I can find a dealer that can actually look at it.

fred.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did the service techs or service writer actually hear the noise you're talking about and they turned you away? Were you able to document their response? How frustrating.
At least you have a warranty, if it go's belly up you'll be covered. I just hope something doesn't happen to put you or others in a dangerous situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freddy Turbina

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did the service techs or service writer actually hear the noise you're talking about and they turned you away? Were you able to document their response? How frustrating.
At least you have a warranty, if it go's belly up you'll be covered. I just hope something doesn't happen to put you or others in a dangerous situation.
I’m pretty convinced it isn’t dangerous, but certainly feels like something that is engine life reducing.

I gave them a pretty comprehensive list of the issues I’ve been having, and once he got that he called saying it was too much. It’s a 2 bay dealership so I get it, but still frustrating.

fred.
Sponsored