playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Some nice official testing of the BS's offroad capability!
Sponsored

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
no bias there

OP
OP
playdohpy

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
no bias there
Ya agree, not a fair test especially with the tire difference. I'd like to see more comparisons vs jeep, toyota, land rover equivalents.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
That's the best comparison/review I've seen so far, for offroading. I like that he showed the difference between rock/lockers and regular. Shows folks what they'll gain on a low difficulty climb. I wish he had done one more test in the middle just selecting sand/mud.

One thing that's usually missing from these is extended climbs. That CVT would overheat if that hill was a couple of miles long but the Bronco would probably make it up.

However that depends on how good the cooling is in those Badlands. Those turbos run hot, as does AWD torque vectoring, so I have some concern they could have some overheating issues on long climbs.

Last edited:

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
A few years ago TFL on youtube upset Subaru enough that they took them out of their press fleet rotation for overheating it on a dirt hill. TFL had to go actually buy their own Subaru to continue tests.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
A few years ago TFL on youtube upset Subaru enough that they took them out of their press fleet rotation for overheating it on a dirt hill. TFL had to go actually buy their own Subaru to continue tests.
That video, and my constant worry over the CVT in my wife's gen 3 Honda Fit, is the reason I bought a Base BS.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9

Some nice official testing of the BS's offroad capability!
Who the heck were these so-called "expert testers" at the Edmonds track? 7.2 seconds for 0-60? I've seen it as low as 6 and an average of 6.5. No way a 250 HP engine with 275lb-ft of torque, on a vehicle that weighs only 3300 lbs, should take more than 7 seconds to reach 60mph. Perhaps they left it in Eco or Normal mode versus Sport.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
That's a reasonable time considering the escape with the same engine is in the low 6s. Also keep in mind the broncos going to have heavier tires and much worse wind resistance than the Escape.

EDIT: Altho they also have the Escape at 7.1S

OP
OP
playdohpy

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Who the heck were these so-called "expert testers" at the Edmonds track? 7.2 seconds for 0-60? I've seen it as low as 6 and an average of 6.5. No way a 250 HP engine with 275lb-ft of torque, on a vehicle that weighs only 3300 lbs, should take more than 7 seconds to reach 60mph. Perhaps they left it in Eco or Normal mode versus Sport.
I noticed those times too and wondered about that as well. Maybe they were testing it at a higher altitude? But still they should probably disclose that somewhere.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
The Badlands with the 2.0L is more like 3700lbs curb weight and had offroad tires on it. Not saying they got it right but if your really concerned about 0-60 times the Bronco Sport probably isn’t the right vehicle.

Ford Bronco Sport Edmunds Bronco Sport Badlands vs Subaru Forester B7755E9A-A9EB-4AAB-AB97-473AE80AF73D

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Badlands with the 2.0L is more like 3700lbs curb weight and had offroad tires on it. Not saying they got it right but if your really concerned about 0-60 times the Bronco Sport probably isn’t the right vehicle.

Ford Bronco Sport Edmunds Bronco Sport Badlands vs Subaru Forester B7755E9A-A9EB-4AAB-AB97-473AE80AF73D
Definitely the tires could have been a factor. I think Car & Driver actually clocked one run at 5.9 secs and Motor Trend 6.5. Hell even in my very unscientific test drive I figured 6.8. My test unit had the Pirelli Scorpions and not the Falken Wildpeaks, so that could well be the difference.

Definitely not a factor for me (already love it and my BL + BL is on the way) but I was just surprised at their test number as I know it can get there faster.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the clarification on curb weight. I knew she was light but the bigger motor and additional 4WD gear definitely adds some weight.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
Thanks for the clarification on curb weight. I knew she was light but the bigger motor and additional 4WD gear definitely adds some weight.
I agree that their numbers seemed low. It’s kind of crazy how fast everything thing is now. Just for the hell of it I looked up the 0-60 time on the 1982 Ferrari 308 GTS, the Magnum PI Ferrari. It was only 7.2 seconds to 60! It wasn’t know for being a rocket ship but it’s crazy how fast everything is now.

Waiting on a BL, BL myself ?

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

I stopped by a CAT scale a few weeks ago:

2021 Ford Bronco Sport, Badlands edition, Badlands package + Falken A/T tires.

Full fuel tank.

No cargo.

160 lb driver (well, let's say 170 lb clothed)

60 lb dog.

4020 lbs tare weight.
Sponsored