RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Received Big Bend in May so no experience yet in snow. 17” factory Continental tires on it. What has been your real life experience in the snow. Thanks
Sponsored

Bruke

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Received Big Bend in May so no experience yet in snow. 17” factory Continental tires on it. What has been your real life experience in the snow. Thanks
I put on a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow 225/65R17 just before we had foot of snow come down. My morning drive was unplowed and sitting around 65km/h (40mph) my BS handled beautifully. Great cornering control and stopping distance (I slammed the breaks a few times to test it out). Then coming home the plows came too late so the roads were compacted and icey. Again at that same speed the bronco had no problems at all. I’m sure if you tried ripping around at highway speeds in those conditions it would be different, but going at a control speed this thing is a dream.

I will add, we had a huge rainstorm this week and travelling at 110km/h (65mph) these tires hydroplaned a little bit if the highway ruts were bad. But dropping the speed back to about 90km/h (55mph) it was glued to the road again.

Trailrunner916

Badlands
First Name
Celia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My Badlands has the Pirelli ATR’s. Those tires suck!! Had to drive up to the property where we had 18 inches of snow the roads were icy. Even in slippery mode it was a handful. I could tell my bronco was wanting to work it was just the tires had failed the drive system. Will be purchasing better tires for my next trip up to the snow here in a couple weeks. I feel with better tires in a careful speed snow should be no problem

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
OB with the stock Michelin Primacys which are about the only thing I'd change on the OB. The AWD system works great in the snow, even though the tires slip a lot, especially through turns. With nearly 20k miles on now, switching over to some ATs. I agree with previous post that the AWD system with better tires would be great in the snow.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
we got a teenie snow covering this morning, enough to make the roads pretty slick. i used 'slippery/snow' mode for the first time and it was pretty great even with the meaty KO2s. other than that, i keep it in 'Normal' mode with the traction control off. the sport is a fun lil drift machine. my commute to work is also only 4 kilometers haha.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
we got a teenie snow covering this morning, enough to make the roads pretty slick. i used 'slippery/snow' mode for the first time and it was pretty great even with the meaty KO2s. other than that, i keep it in 'Normal' mode with the traction control off. the sport is a fun lil drift machine. my commute to work is also only 4 kilometers haha.
Curious why you take TC off. I can see it if you get stuck.... 4kms my gosh.....I thought my 12kms was good

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
force of habit. i rarely use traction control, i just feel more in tune with the vehicle. plus i can kick the tail out from time to time if the roads snow or freeze over.

12 km trips, you're gonna mile that thing out fast hahaha.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Curious why you take TC off. I can see it if you get stuck.... 4kms my gosh.....I thought my 12kms was good
Generally as you said TC in snow is usually only turned off when stuck

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
OB with the stock Michelin Primacys which are about the only thing I'd change on the OB. The AWD system works great in the snow, even though the tires slip a lot, especially through turns. With nearly 20k miles on now, switching over to some ATs. I agree with previous post that the AWD system with better tires would be great in the snow.

TC off partial (quick-press) or full off (long-press-hold)?

Slvoss

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport base
I have bf Goodrich at tires…. Thus far if driving on any sort of back snow condition. I find that you can’t drive over 45 and it slips all over the place. I wouldn’t recommend this AT tires if you have to drive in those conditions. But off road and snow they are great. I think there too hard for such a light vehicle. And that was at 25lbs in each tire. Hope you find a good tire. Waiting to try better snow and ice tires.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I'm replacing the stock Conti's this week, in light snow they seem to spin and in slushy snow they don't grip the pavement. I don't think they are a very good winter tire.

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My new OB will be picked up next week. Had dealer remove Michelin Primacys and install set of Michelin CrossClimate 2's. I seldom drive in really bad weather, and wanted to avoid winter rim changeover. Results TBD.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I've had my BS BB for a little over 2 weeks now and have put over 500 miles on her. The day after we brought her home it snowed and put down about 6 inches. Our neighborhood streets were not plowed so driving on them was a challenge. However, even with the Conti's I put it in slippery mode and just watching my speed I had no problem getting around. Cornering also was not an issue. I have been driving in these winter conditions for years with different types of tires and I will replace the Conti's when they show a lack of grip and I'll put on A/T's. I've had good results with Firestone Destination A/T. But not sure they have a tire size for the BS.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
The stock Contis are... Not great. ~20-25mph last night, driving on a road that had already gotten at least 4", hadn't been plowed, and had been driven on enough to make a mess of the snow (not a smooth layer) but not enough that there was no worn path to follow. The snow pulled me sideways a couple feet. Was able to keep it on the road but that was worrisome. Mind you, a Focus without winter tires would've gotten stuck, maybe even with them. Definitely made me wish it had something like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3's on it.
Sponsored