Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge
We have a bronco sport on order. It is the Outer Banks model. No pattle shifters. We went to the dealership today and drove a used bronco sport Badlands. The fellow that went with us did not know how to downshift the transmission from whatever gears its in to the next lowest gear or the next lowest gear just slow down on a steep grade on the interstate. We got back to the dealership he asked some other people and no one knew. Can the car not be down shifted to slow down on Long steep grades on the highway? I can't believe no one knew.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
We have a bronco sport on order. It is the Outer Banks model. No pattle shifters. We went to the dealership today and drove a used bronco sport Badlands. The fellow that went with us did not know how to downshift the transmission from whatever gears its in to the next lowest gear or the next lowest gear just slow down on a steep grade on the interstate. We got back to the dealership he asked some other people and no one knew. Can the car not be down shifted to slow down on Long steep grades on the highway? I can't believe no one knew.
Paddle shifters. See here.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Downshifting to slow down ? It’s not a sports car. Use the brakes. Hit the low button and it will downshift a few. I’ve done that to hold down hill acceleration to a minimum.

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
Only the FE and BL have the paddle shifters that allow you to shift manually. All other models have no way to manually shift or ability to decrease available gears. There is a "low mode" button but that is not going to do what you want it to do.

With that said... I took my OB to the mountains this week and at no time did I miss manual shifting. The auto trans seems to downshift when needed and upshift when needed pretty smartly.

Toonces

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
it is very easy. You just select - to shift down and + to shift up (on the paddles). You can do it from the regular driving mode or select the M button on the transmission

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it is very easy. You just select - to shift down and + to shift up (on the paddles). You can do it from the regular driving mode or select the M button on the transmission

Unless he has the wrong model of BS in his profile, his trim level does not have paddle shifters and from all I can gather it does not allow manual shifting at all.

OP
OP

Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Unless he has the wrong model of BS in his profile, his trim level does not have paddle shifters and from all I can gather it does not allow manual shifting at all.
You are absolutely correct. This will be the first car we have owned that does not allow downshifting.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You are absolutely correct. This will be the first car we have owned that does not allow downshifting.
Downshifting was a simple as turning off the overdrive on a lot of older cars. Sport mode runs at a higher RPM which will allow you to use that in an engine brake sense to some degree

OP
OP

Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Downshifting to slow down ? It’s not a sports car. Use the brakes. Hit the low button and it will downshift a few. I’ve done that to hold down hill acceleration to a minimum.
Neither is a Volvo XC60 but it can be downshifted. I guess you are one of those brake riders we follow sometimes that seem to love riding those brakes.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Neither is a Volvo XC60 but it can be downshifted. I guess you are one of those brake riders we follow sometimes that seem to love riding those brakes.
I’m sorry you were unable to understand my post. I thought it was very clear. I’ve never ‘ridden’ brakes in my life in the manner you imply. But
As a retired 3.2 million mile commercial driver I forget there are many who do not understand proper braking. Re read my post a little slower, not when your on coffee. Again I will say it a little different as doing this wrong can be very dangerous.
In normal driving use your brakes to decelerate. As for hill descending put the Vehicle in a lower gear, our Bronco Sport has a LOW button ! I’ve used it many times to hold my speed going down hill. Although with the very light crank and low power off compression of our very small engines there is not much hold back even as your engine approaches redline.
Not this boy, brake linings, very cheap to replace. Transmissions not so.
If you have any problems understanding this I’ll will be glad to link you with sites that explain it better than I seem to be able to,,,
Peace Brother !
As for sport driving or racing the purpose of down shifting is to hold the engine in the power band for instant acceleration at the ‘APEX’ of a corner.
The Apex to some is the middle. To a race car or motorcyclist it is the point where the driver can see the corner exit. The street bike riders use this point to pore on the power to help lift the bike upright out of the turn, keeps them from crashing.

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
As for sport driving or racing the purpose of down shifting is to hold the engine in the power band for instant acceleration at the ‘APEX’ of a corner.
The Apex to some is the middle. To a race car or motorcyclist it is the point where the driver can see the corner exit. The street bike riders use this point to pore on the power to help lift the bike upright out of the turn, keeps them from crashing.
Or, in an AWD vehicle (speaking from track experience) the apex of a turn is about fifty to a hundred feet past where you should have already rolled-on the throttle. :)

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am one of those sane drivers that do not get to the stop light at max speed then "downshift" 6 gears to come to a stop. Of course I also am in absolutely no rush what-so-ever when I am driving. I guess I am that driver that irritates others because I respect the laws we agree to obey when we signed up for our license. I like the glares I get, but I also like that my insurance (full coverage way above min required) bill monthly ;) Been driving since I was 13 (farm) and never had a single accident or speeding ticket.

OP
OP

Mick2022OB

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I am one of those sane drivers that do not get to the stop light at max speed then "downshift" 6 gears to come to a stop. Of course I also am in absolutely no rush what-so-ever when I am driving. I guess I am that driver that irritates others because I respect the laws we agree to obey when we signed up for our license. I like the glares I get, but I also like that my insurance (full coverage way above min required) bill monthly ;) Been driving since I was 13 (farm) and never had a single accident or speeding ticket.
You should like me. My question was really an option for slowing the car down going down long steep interstate grades since we have no paddle shifters.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
You should like me. My question was really an option for slowing the car down going down long steep interstate grades since we have no paddle shifters.
Long steep interstate grade? Cruise control. Set the speed you want (the limit) and it will keep you there. There are tons and tons of cars without paddles and manual ways to shift gears. Done.

I have a sports car with paddle shifters, etc. But I would never use the paddles for a long interstate grade braking. Those are used for fun, passing, etc. Hell I use them when going up a grade more often to downshift and get more ompfh to quickly pick up speed uphill.
I use my cruise control for long grades and brake of course if I come upon traffic then adjust.

Last edited:

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like everyone, too old and not enough time to dislike people ;)
Sponsored