Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
If so, what make/model EV do you have? Are you happy with it?

If the driving time range between charges and price was within my requirements, I might see me owning one someday.
Sponsored

LBinWNC

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 BS
Yup, we have a Volvo C40 which is my wife’s everyday driver plus we have taken it on an east coast road trip.

The C40 doesn’t have great range but since we charge it in the garage it is perfect for us, even on the road trip we stopped every 2.5 to 3hrs to charge and do comfort….

we have had it for a year and are very happy with it, my understand is right now some amazing lease deals happening on the C40 and XC40 so much so kind a make me sad that I bought this one but Volvo gave me a sweet deal on or XC60.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, nada, never. Internal combustion or die!!! :crackup:
Hope we don't see that as your epitaph on your tombstone anytime soon!

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
We have the Heritage and a Tesla M3 standard, the least expensive model you can get. The profile pic is taking delivery of Po. The Tesla, 'Tessie', in the background, is my wife's daily driver. Love it, so far.

The EV is a different way to approach driving and commuting. She starts the day, every day with a full tank, so to speak. She never has to think about pulling into a gas station, no worries about an oil change, none of it. It's not an optimal road-tripper. And we haven't taken it on a road trip, yet, but seems like just a thing you plan for accordingly. And Telsa makes that as easy as can be with their Supercharger network.

Driving the Tesla feels like taking driving to a new level. It's a more integrated experience. ICE cars (and the BS I drive) feel like a bunch of systems operating together. The Tesla feels like one integrated system from the start.

With the current state of EV technology, the Tesla isn't a 100% solution. Neither is the BS, though. With the BS and M3 we have most of the bases covered and we can enjoy each for what it has to offer. Having an EV and an ICE car in in the garage seems like a pretty good mix, at least for us.

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
my husband drives a tesla mdel s. he's had it since 2017. we've taken it on road trips. it gets at least 300 miles range. as much as those who don't have ev complain about having to stop and charge, it's no problem whatever. there are apps that give you route options and show how long you'll need to charge. and when we charge, we take the time to go to the bathroom and grab a snack. by then the car has had enough time to charge to the level we need and we feel refreshed. he has made 14 hr road trips on his own without feeling road weary. it's our choice of car to take on road trips. he loves the car, not thrilled with the company. but he's planning on keeping it 2 more years and then getting another EV. will see then if hec gets another tesla or goes with an ev of another make.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
All the EVs do is transfer your carbon footprint from gas/diesel to a coal fired power plant. Or a natural gas plant. Nuclear power would be much better but then there’s that whole 3 mile island type of thing.

some will say solar and wind powers there grid. But then Kalifornia told EV users not to charge their cars because the grid was stressed because of the hot weather. just look what happened in Texas during that winter storm. Solar stopped working. And the windmills froze. Maybe EVs should have solar panel and/or wind turbines mounted to them.

other than that, the tech is not there yet and replacing the battery is a high cost option.

Nope. Had a hybrid and squeezed a lifetime mpg of 53.7 out of it. So no thanks. Besides the closest Tesla dealer or EV dealer is 3.5 hours away. And so far none of the farmers are running all electric tractors.

Electric car dies. Coal miners push it to charging station at the mine.

CLR

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
We have a Leaf SV that we picked up in 2020 when dealers were basically giving them away. It’s a great commuter. 12k mikes with no problems and no range anxiety since it’s definitely not meant for long trips. We have solar so charging is “free”- granted the solar install was not free.

And I have a class 3 ebike that use for commuting a couple times per week. That is super fun!

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a Leaf SV that we picked up in 2020 when dealers were basically giving them away. It’s a great commuter. 12k mikes with no problems and no range anxiety since it’s definitely not meant for long trips. We have solar so charging is “free”- granted the solar install was not free.

And I have a class 3 ebike that use for commuting a couple times per week. That is super fun!
Funny thing about the ebike....my neighbor was told by his doctor to get out and exercise, and told him to ride a bike over jogging (he has bad knees). So he bought an ebike!

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Nice thing about ebikes is you can adjust the level of assist. It's not like your riding around all day on a moped. There is still some amount of effort to ride one. So, yeah, it's a great form of exercise. At least you're out there doing something.

Augsburg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sprinter 4x4, '23 Bronco Sport Badlands
Yes, we had an EV for 4 years and loved it. The only reason we are getting a Bronco Sport is it will "bridge" us a couple of years - to when we trade it in for our next EV (we are on a pre-order waiting list for an EV). It would be awesome if Ford came out with a BS EV, but Ford is mostly aiming at first world markets like Europe for their most advanced cars. People complain about the cost of EV's but those people have never owned one. EV's are so much cheaper to own and operate, it's not funny. The cost of charging at home is way less than gas, and my wife loved not having to go to the gas station to fill up. Plus, no maintenance with an EV - no oil changes, and even the brakes last many times longer.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Yes, we had an EV for 4 years and loved it. The only reason we are getting a Bronco Sport is it will "bridge" us a couple of years - to when we trade it in for our next EV (we are on a pre-order waiting list for an EV). It would be awesome if Ford came out with a BS EV, but Ford is mostly aiming at first world markets like Europe for their most advanced cars. People complain about the cost of EV's but those people have never owned one. EV's are so much cheaper to own and operate, it's not funny. The cost of charging at home is way less than gas, and my wife loved not having to go to the gas station to fill up. Plus, no maintenance with an EV - no oil changes, and even the brakes last many times longer.
And what happens when you need to replace the batteries? Sure, you may be saving some money on gas for your vehicle, but that does not offset the amount of fossil fuels required to recharge said vehicle and build the batteries...and yes, I complain about the cost of an ev. There is a definite demarcation line between pro-ev and anti-ev. Until they can make an affordable electric F-350 to pull my RV across country without stropping every 3 hours to recharge, I will be in the anti-ev crowd.

Last edited:

Augsburg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sprinter 4x4, '23 Bronco Sport Badlands
Replacing batteries in an EV is a scare tactic formulated by the oil and gas industry. We owned an EV for 4 years and both my kids own EV's. Batteries in EV's last a long, long time these days - expect the older NCM chemistry batteries (in many current EV's) to last 10 years or so before your mileage range is reduced to about 80% of a new car.

Newer EV's have LFP battery chemistry and those are 1 million mile batteries. You'd spend many thousands of dollars maintaining a gas engine over the life of an EV's battery.

As far as the offset to manufacturing an EV vs an ICE vehicle., again this is a desperate scare tactic of the oil and gas industry. The issue has been studied and EV's surpass ICE vehicles in total environmental impact (carbon, etc.) at about 20,000 miles on the odometer. That's when their total impact drops below ICE vehicles and gets better and better the more miles you drive. Under current tech, lithium batteries can be recycled by re-refining the lithium from the exhausted batteries.
Sponsored