Does adding an aftermarket LIFT void your warranty?

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes after paying top dollar for my Bronco Sport Badlands, and spending much too much time stalking everyones rigs here, I'm fighting the bug not to spend another 5k on tires, lifts, over head racks and additional lights... lol.

However, like a typical car nut I'm sure I'll cave in soon. My main concern is whether or not adding one of these 3rd party 1.5" lifts will void any warranty I now have... and in my case because of all the electronics in modern cars these days... much less the Bronco Sport... I did purchase an extended FORD premium warranty for the 100K miles I plan on putting on this bad boy.

Just wanted to see who here has had any issues (Positive or Negative) after adding a lift and then having some warranty work requested at your local dealership. Might be too soon to have enough samples.. but I'm asking regardless : )
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Any item installed on a vehicle (especially if it was not installed by a factory service center) can void the warranty if the cause of the failure is linked to the aftermarket item.

OP
OP
NEFKANO

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Any item installed on a vehicle (especially if it was not installed by a factory service center) can void the warranty if the cause of the failure is linked to the aftermarket item.
Yes I understand that.. that's why I'm posing the question here to see what others have experienced. That said... I suppose a better question would be to see if FORD offers their own lift (?)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes after paying top dollar for my Bronco Sport Badlands, and spending much too much time stalking everyones rigs here, I'm fighting the bug not to spend another 5k on tires, lifts, over head racks and additional lights... lol.

However, like a typical car nut I'm sure I'll cave in soon. My main concern is whether or not adding one of these 3rd party 1.5" lifts will void any warranty I now have... and in my case because of all the electronics in modern cars these days... much less the Bronco Sport... I did purchase an extended FORD premium warranty for the 100K miles I plan on putting on this bad boy.

Just wanted to see who here has had any issues (Positive or Negative) after adding a lift and then having some warranty work requested at your local dealership. Might be too soon to have enough samples.. but I'm asking regardless : )
If you break something during the install, or you install incorrectly causing something to break, or the parts you install cause an OEM part to break, Ford is under no obligation to cover the repair(s) under warranty. Warranty on the remainder of the vehicle remains intact.

I've read of one case of a Maverick owner denied repair of CV joints the dealership claimed needed replacement due to damage caused by the lift kit installed on the vehicle. No details on whether damage resulted from an installation error, too much change in the CV joint angle, or a bad part from the factory the dealer was looking for something to blame it on.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Yes I understand that.. that's why I'm posing the question here to see what others have experienced. That said... I suppose a better question would be to see if FORD offers their own lift (?)
If you are truly worried, your best bet would be to find the Ford service center who will install a lift. You'll probably pay thru the roof but it would limit the excuses they can use since Ford did the install.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
If you are truly worried, your best bet would be to find the Ford service center who will install a lift. You'll probably pay thru the roof but it would limit the excuses they can use since Ford did the install.
I doubt you will find a Ford dealer that would install this sort of thing. Even if they did, Ford would still deny warranty claims on items associated with the installed item and blame the dealer. Remember that dealers are not owned by Ford, they are really the customer for Ford.

OP
OP
NEFKANO

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I doubt you will find a Ford dealer that would install this sort of thing. Even if they did, Ford would still deny warranty claims on items associated with the installed item and blame the dealer. Remember that dealers are not owned by Ford, they are really the customer for Ford.
And this is a fear I have... meaning how dealerships might promise you the moon, but recant when push comes to shove....i.e. warranty work. Well already looking like an aftermarket lift will be placed in the "maybe not such a good idea...category"

Well unless I hear otherwise from FORD themselves I suppose I'll be saving a few bucks on that upgrade and slightly smaller tires, ha!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this is a fear I have... meaning how dealerships might promise you the moon, but recant when push comes to shove....i.e. warranty work. Well already looking like an aftermarket lift will be placed in the "maybe not such a good idea...category"

Well unless I hear otherwise from FORD themselves I suppose I'll be saving a few bucks on that upgrade and slightly smaller tires, ha!
The number of items that could be affected by a lift kit is relatively small and those items are generally pretty reliable. Sometimes though you just have to accept that “if you want to play, you’ve got to pay”. If you are concerned, wait for 6-12 months to see if anything goes wrong in the suspension/CV axles. A warranty is not total protection and any manufacturer will use any excuse they can to get out of fixing your vehicle if they can.

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
@Ford Motor Company
im not sure if tagging them like this works but im going to try...
I'm interested in lifting my BS Badlands(should be finally built in july 4th week), The HRG 1.5 lift looks promising, what am i looking as far as pushback if other parts fail.

Also, would the Badlands locking rear diff fit in a maverick? will you be offering that as a factory option if so? and could I be a beta tester for it?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I think it's generally accepted that if you lift your car and a suspension component fails, the warranty wouldn't cover it. But if you have something like an engine or electrical issue that would still be covered.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
OP
OP
NEFKANO

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I was looking up the same issue. I already installed a lift kit- (to be threaded soon). I had my break and wheel shop guy do it. (used to race/ build custom cars- you that kind of guy). Anyway found this short article written by a lawyer,- makes all the points you all have stated. This is for reference only.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a15840066/not-all-aftermarket-parts-will-void-your-warranty/
Wow thanks for this insightful article. Others had mentioned this particular case… but until now I had not looked up the merits of it.

While case law may have precedents to allow us to install a lift kit in this case and not fear out and out denial of warranty work …..

the writer also spells out and rightly so… having the dealership honor our rights would involve time and money in a court of law. Ugh.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow thanks for this insightful article. Others had mentioned this particular case… but until now I had not looked up the merits of it.

While case law may have precedents to allow us to install a lift kit in this case and not fear out and out denial of warranty work …..

the writer also spells out and rightly so… having the dealership honor our rights would involve time and money in a court of law. Ugh.
Having Ford honor your rights might require a court of law. Only if they deny the claim and you assert that the aftermarket part did not cause the failure.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs.
I feel like I've read this somewhere before...

Having Ford honor your rights might require a court of law. Only if they deny the claim and you assert that the aftermarket part did not cause the failure.
This is correct. There are negative consequences (fines, assignment of plaintiff attorney fees, etc.) for a manufacturer that denies a warranty claim based on the customer's use of aftermarket parts, so if it does deny a claim you can be pretty sure it believes the denial will stand up to scrutiny. The dispute process is lengthy and complicated—many people seek the help of an attorney to figure it out. Something most people don't know is that you are required to participate in the BBB Auto Line program, which is essentially an arbitration process.

The following can be found in your warranty guide:

You are required to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO LINE before exercising rights or seeking remedies under the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. To the extent permitted by the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law’’, you are also required to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO LINE before exercising any rights or seeking remedies under the ‘‘Lemon Law’’. If you choose to seek remedies that are not created by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law,’’ you are not required to first use BBB AUTO LINE to resolve your dispute – although the program is still available to you.
To me, the absolute best way to win in this situation is to never put yourself in a position where a warranty claim may be denied. The first step in that process is to make sure you buy a vehicle that suits your needs rather than one that doesn't with the hope you can modify it to do so. Second, if you absolutely MUST have a modification make sure the parts you install come from a reputable vendor with a good track record, especially a record that shows they stand by their product when it comes to defects and failures. The last step is to simply not install any aftermarket parts until your New Vehicle Limited Warranty no longer applies.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me, the absolute best way to win in this situation is to never put yourself in a position where a warranty claim may be denied.
I guess it depends on your definition of "winning". If you mean that you've won a warranty claim, then yes, that is the best answer.

For some, the desire/need to modify/personalize is a better definition of "winning". Risk has to be assumed and the phrase "you've got to pay to play" rules.
Sponsored