Big Bend
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey all.

Long story short: my daughter pushed in one of the spring loaded "cup holder knuckles" so that it appears to have come removed from the elastic that allows it to flex. It is now folded back inside the shifter/cupholder housing. I'm thinking that the only way I may be able to fix it is to remove the whole dial shift assembly.

It appears that this dial shifter assembly is just clipped in - but I wanted to check in with the forum before I started yanking up in case their is something connected that I'm not thinking about. It also seems like the shifter itself is connected to the trim and not fastened down. Does anybody have any advice?

For reference: in the picture below the small circled area in the cup holder is the "knuckle" I'm referring to - and the larger circled area is the trim I'm looking to remove.

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Sport Dial Shifter / Cup Holder Removal? 1634298677302
Sponsored

sticks918

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL, Area 51
Removal

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

1. Release the clips and remove the trim panel.
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Ford Bronco Sport Dial Shifter / Cup Holder Removal? 1634298677302
Good info. Where did you find that image? Is there a repair manual that's been released yet?

OP
OP
Hanjoelo

Hanjoelo

Big Bend
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update for anyone who cares: Removal was SUPER easy. The clips are only located at the front of the assembly (close to where the cubby / charging pad is). I pried up with my hands until it popped, lifted a bit and then pulled towards the dash. The reason for this is that there are 2 locators at the back of the assembly that slide into 2 slots. The wire harness has 3-4 inches of slack so I was able to fix the cup holder without unplugging anything. Less than 2 minutes of work.

Thanks @HugeGuyTheory for the pic.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Update for anyone who cares: Removal was SUPER easy. The clips are only located at the front of the assembly (close to where the cubby / charging pad is). I pried up with my hands until it popped, lifted a bit and then pulled towards the dash. The reason for this is that there are 2 locators at the back of the assembly that slide into 2 slots. The wire harness has 3-4 inches of slack so I was able to fix the cup holder without unplugging anything. Less than 2 minutes of work.

Thanks @HugeGuyTheory for the pic.
Thanks, mine is also stuck so I'm gonna try this weekend. I just figured I broke it.

OP
OP
Hanjoelo

Hanjoelo

Big Bend
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks, mine is also stuck so I'm gonna try this weekend. I just figured I broke it.
The knuckles look to be molded as part of the cup holder itself and have a living hinge allowing the flex when putting a cup in the holder. There a large elastic around each cup holder that the knuckle hooks onto which allows the spring-back. Mine got pushed I so deep that the elastic came undone. Easy fix.

575jw

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I’m having a problem getting the right side of this assembly to budge at all. The left side comes unattached immediately with little pressure but the right will absolutely not budge. Used multiple different tools, and the clip is not coming undone. Any tips or thoughts as to why?
Sponsored