Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it?

Fredghost

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I diagnosed the issue myself and have shown two different Ford service centers the SSM # and info on the issue but I keep getting either push back that the rattle is normal or I am told its not the park release cable.

Having issues educating service techs that this is an issue and getting them to actually agree to fix it. I had one service center tell me they could put foam on the part that's rattling even though I had shown them the SSM info where it gives specific information on fixing it; replacing the defective part.

I'm also experiencing service centers not comprehending that a park release cable can be defective.

Super frustrating to have an issue that is trouble for service centers to fix. Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix the defective cable?
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I have seen people on this forum report that they had their dealers replace the Park Release Cable to resolve the noise issues. Some dealers don't want to do any warranty work and make excuses.

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
I took the SSM to the dealer, they ordered new cable(Last digit is a T) and that dumb noise is gone.

SSM 51184
2020-2022 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2022 Bronco Sport - Hiss Or Rattle Noise While Driving - Manual Park Release Cable
Some 2020-2022 Escape/Corsair vehicles built on or before 17-May-2022 and 2021-2022 Bronco Sport vehicles built on or before 25-Feb-2022 may exhibit a hiss or rattle noise while driving. This may be due to an internal issue with the manual park release cable. If the noise is eliminated when the cable is disconnected from the transmission, install a new manual park release cable assembly LX6Z-7D246-T. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05 > Automatic Transmission External Controls > Removal and Installation.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Had mine replaced late in 2021. I knew from this forum that the cable was the problem. Took it to my dealer and the mechanic drove it and agreed it was the cable. Cable was ordered and replaced. Problem solved. There are good dealerships out there. Mine is Reineke in Ohio.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Is this noise a kind of grinding or buzzing noise that I've never heard an engine make coming from the engine compartment?

OP
OP

Fredghost

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Is this noise a kind of grinding or buzzing noise that I've never heard an engine make coming from the engine compartment?
Yeah its a very random rattling noise that happens at low speeds most of the time. Effects 2021-2022 BS that were built before 2/22/2022.

If you google "bronco sport manual park release cable" you'll see a lot of info on it. https://ford.oemdtc.com/7489/hiss-or-rattle-noise-while-driving-manual-park-release-cable-2021-ford-bronco-sport

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The latest bulletin has it built before Feb 25th 2022. It fixed mine. Dealer was great. There is a third revised part # for the redesigned cable also. Ends with a "T".

SSM 51184
2020-2022 Escape/Corsair, 2021-2022 Bronco Sport - Hiss Or Rattle Noise While Driving - Manual Park Release Cable
Some 2020-2022 Escape/Corsair vehicles built on or before 17-May-2022 and 2021-2022 Bronco Sport vehicles built on or before 25-Feb-2022 may exhibit a hiss or rattle noise while driving. This may be due to an internal issue with the manual park release cable. If the noise is eliminated when the cable is disconnected from the transmission, install a new manual park release cable assembly LX6Z-7D246-T. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05 > Automatic Transmission External Controls > Removal and Installation.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Mine had a faint noise so I went ahead and ordered the revised cable at $55 shipped and installed it myself. I don't have pics of new cable but it had a metal cylinder on it to dampen the sound. I had to take out entire air filter box, battery tray, and left lower dash panel to replace it. Not easy and not for the inexperienced novice. Took around 2 1/2 hours cause had to figure out how it all comes apart and careful not to mess stuff up.

But the faint noise is gone. With radio off its so smooth and quiet now. So well worth the effort.

Pics of old cable and part number for the new revised cable. It should also be noted that this is the second revision from Ford to address the cable noise.

Ford Bronco Sport Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it? Cable 1

Ford Bronco Sport Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it? Cable 2

Ford Bronco Sport Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it? Cable 3

Ford Bronco Sport Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it? Cable 4

Ford Bronco Sport Defective Manual Park Release Cable - Has anyone been able to get a service center to actually fix it? Cable 5

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG. Where is it located to have to remove all that ?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
OMG. Where is it located to have to remove all that ?
Cable runs from transmission by air filter box, under battery, through firewall, and then to lower left hand dash. Bunch of hoses on top of transmission so its buried down in there not easy to see.
Sponsored