The smell test Roflmao,, I resemble that remark~~~
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
i agree. I immediately thought this when I first heard it. Doesn’t pass the smell test

Yes dealers screw up. They get penalized for it. Some rather sale and take the penalty. That’s why the penalty is there for screw up whether on purpose or not.

But no dealer or any professional business selling a product is going to demand you return a product because of their mistake. Can you demand a car dealership to give you your money back because you made a mistake and bought a car 4 months before you have a job?? No.

And the story added the demand of a time limit to return. As if a grown adult that legally purchased a product can be bullied into totally disregarding a contract because they are going to count to three ?

You’re telling me this dealership would rather face harassment charges along with illegal business charges along with penalties from selling before 4K miles than just take the penalty ?

Am I saying this story is impossible? No, im saying it’s unlikely. Notice no names were given or dealerships. “Tampa, Florida based” This was pure brand advertisement using the “honest” media. They have never steered from the truth ever, not one bit. Good luck finding which Tampa dealership it was. Go to one, they’ll say wasn’t here must have been another.
Having worked at several dealerships, I can say with certainty that yes, they would ask for it back.
It wasn’t theirs to sell. And yes, the dealer would be more afraid of Ford than one pissed off customer.
The bottom line: if this went to court, Ford would win.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
you’re wrong. It’s not about the customer having to intimidate the dealership to back off. The customer legally bought a vehicle that the dealership legally sold. It was their vehicle to sell. The dealership made an agreement to keep it on the lot for 4K miles before selling it. The agreement stated that if and when it’s sold before 4K miles they will receive a certain penalty for it (being future allocations).

If this went to court, ford along with the jury would not be on the side of the careless dealership that made the agreement not to sell before 4K. The customer didn’t break any agreements
Having spent many years working at dealerships, I disagree. It wasn’t the dealerships car to sell.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My closest dealer has a BL+BL LISTED "for sale" that IS NOT -- it's a mannequin with 32 mi. on the odometer when I saw it, registered to/with the MANUFACTURER. It IS NOT the dealership's to sell for a minimum SIX MONTHS or 4,000 miles; you are however free to ORDER what you want, miss out on the current incentives, suck up the price increase(s), and wait for how long? There will be serious consequences for this dealer screwup. At least the customer "wins" this one.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
There is a risk of giving someone new car fever (from exposure to new car smell), and they purchase something with inventory available. Now we all know the Bronco Sport is unique, but many with car fever need instant gratification and may find it elsewhere.
it was the dealerships to sell and they sold it. Ford specifically addressed this exact situation. That if you choose to sell before 4K miles, your dealership will receive a future allocation penalty.

Ford didn’t say “it’s not your vehicle to sell before 4K miles”. They encouraged dealers to keep them on the lot so customers had a physical product to see and touch.

The undeniable facts are: the dealership sold a vehicle to a customer. They couldn’t have made the sale in the first place if it wasn’t their vehicle to sale.

It doesn’t matter if you agree are not. This is public information. You claim that this is normal to ask/demand for a legal sell back. I can assure you it’s not. And if you worked in the car business you would know that this never happens.
I never claimed it was normal, only that it can happen. And it can.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
You said you are “certain they would ask for it back” as if you have witnessed this happening ?

please show me one example where one of the dealerships you worked for or any dealership sold a vehicle that they did not own. ? and then “asked” for it back...
If a situation arises where a car was sold that should not have been, they would ask for it back. It’s happened. In fact, that’s what started this conversation, right? It’s not a normal situation to have in the first place, but it happens. Fords agreement was different than I thought it was. I assumed it was more strIct, as that’s what I’m used to.
One example of a dealership requiring a car to be returned would be if spot financing fell through. Not common, but it does happen.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
right you can’t provide an example of a dealer asking for a car back aside from this story which proves my point. Obviously this dealer was just as confused as you.

financing is taken care of before the sell. If you don’t pay for it, it gets repossessed. Nice try trying to lump repossession with “dealer sold a car that he legally couldn’t”

its not common because it doesn’t happen. The one and only example of someone “trying” to demand it back proved that you can’t no matter how certain you and this one dealer are that think this a logical action
I don’t expect you to understand. I’ve seen some weird scenarios that I wouldn’t believe either, had I not been in that field for so long.
Financing, for example, is not always taken care of before the sale. I’m assuming you did not look into spot financing.
Anyway, its obvious that you are the type of person who can not be swayed with facts. You simply must be correct, however inexperienced you are with the topic. It’s increasingly common, and sad.
Can you imagine if I tried to tell you ”facts” about your job? I wouldn’t embarrass myself by even trying, but obviously that doesn’t stop you.
Sponsored