Dealer-mark up on existing customer orders

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Any dealership that is saying that Ford is mandating the markups or any of that nonsense is just full of it. Take your business elsewhere. Ford can only SUGGEST a price, by law, to their dealerships. And that suggested price must, by law, be presented to the customer as the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price). If itā€™s on the window sticker as MSRP, thatā€™s what Ford is saying the price should be. Any additional fees or markups are all extras on top of that dreamt up by the dealership. If Ford truly is mandating a price increase, they will issue new window stickers with new MSRP.

We are seeing a whole lot more mark-ups across the industry lately. Dealerships, and the salespeople who work there, are becoming increasingly more desperate as the available inventory to sell has been low for quite a while.
Sponsored

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I just had to share this. A Ford Dealership just about 20 miles from me has a new F-150 for sale at $86,000. If you click on the window sticker the total MSRP is just over $60,000.
Does FMC approve of this? All the vehicles they have listed are marked up substantially.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Can't speak on the full size broncos, but for my Sport Badlands, I went through Corwin Ford in Nampa, Idaho and they didn't mark up anything. Gave me every penny I wanted for my trade-in, a fantastic rate (2.59%) and didn't try to upsell me on anything, because of that (and me putting 26k down including my trade-in), I had a really low payment and was inclined to pay for all the extra warranties/protections they had available.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Can't speak on the full size broncos, but for my Sport Badlands, I went through Corwin Ford in Nampa, Idaho and they didn't mark up anything. Gave me every penny I wanted for my trade-in, a fantastic rate (2.59%) and didn't try to upsell me on anything, because of that (and me putting 26k down including my trade-in), I had a really low payment and was inclined to pay for all the extra warranties/protections they had available.
My dealer is like the one you dealt with. No markup, $500 rebate, and 0.9% financing. I canā€™t believe FMC allows dealers to mark up prices like the example I gave. Thank god my hometown Ford dealer is honest.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The "dealer" isn't Ford. Or even a subsidiary. Even tho they're franchises, they're quite independent, and can set prices as they wish. And even get slammed by potential customers and then go out of business...

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
I just had to share this. A Ford Dealership just about 20 miles from me has a new F-150 for sale at $86,000. If you click on the window sticker the total MSRP is just over $60,000.
Does FMC approve of this? All the vehicles they have listed are marked up substantially.
Ford has no position on this as the dealerships are independent and set their own pricing. For now, with all the shortages, anything that's sitting on the lot in general inventory is going to have a markup just about anywhere you go. Some of the smaller dealerships or those off the beaten path will have better pricing or those who value repeat customers over a one-time sale.

Ford does have an opinion on custom orders and does not want dealerships marking them up. But there's still not much they can do to stop them. Ford's policy since the Bronco fiasco last year, is that all pricing must be agreed to and finalized at the time of order. So if you order a vehicle and agree to pricing, then the dealership tries to mark it up at delivery, escalate the situation with Ford and they will try to help. So far, dealerships doing this have not had much success... Not so much due to Ford stepping in but more so they get dragged through the mud on social media.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
Ford and GM both "warned" dealers last week about marking up over MSRP but as stated here, technically they can do what they want. The good news is there are dealers not marking up over MSRP which is what I found to purchase.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
They can do what they want but I would be willing to bet that loyalty means nothing to them. Iā€™m thankful my dealer doesnā€™t stoop so low. I just checked their prices and none of them are marked above MSRP.
People will remember this time period and will be wary of the dealers that felt compelled to price gouge.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My dealer is like the one you dealt with. No markup, $500 rebate, and 0.9% financing. I canā€™t believe FMC allows dealers to mark up prices like the example I gave. Thank god my hometown Ford dealer is honest.
0.9% wow. I have an excellent credit score and figured 2.59% was about as good as it gets. I did get a $1000 rebate though which I forgot to mention.

00Doc

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 XLT, Ordered 2022 Bronco Sport BB
The only ones I've seen like that around here have had "Dealer Options" added, like a lift and set of wheels for the added $25,000. You could do that yourself for less than $10K.
Sponsored