Dealer lets people test drive your new Bronco Sport…

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
How many miles should be on a new vehicle by the time it’s ready to be picked up?

My 2016 Fusion had about 7 and the 2019 Escape around 25. Both were dealer ordered.
Anywhere from 0 to 100. Have to keep in mind they need to move the vehicles as part of transport, but they also pull vehicles from the line after production to do routine testing (which include test drives).

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Have people actually had that happen? I’ve never had but that’s just me. I know Granger has said they would never allow that to happen.
I'm not 100% sure but I think it might have happened to me. Ours had 37 miles on it when we drove off the lot...my wife had pulled it out of the delivery bay with the salesman and didn't notice. I also neglected to check before signing paperwork and of course the deal was already done when we finally drove off. At that point I decided to not pick that battle because I didn't think the outcome would change.

As far as I know, ours was the first BL that dealership received. I don't know if it was test driven, or if dealership employees were joy-riding, or if it simply accumulated miles during 'quality control checks' and transport.

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
Not sure how ford does it but at port of Philadelphia when I worked there Hyundai would have a MASSIVE ship of cars (elantras ) that would pull on once a week and like 3
School busses of guys would show up, board the boat, drive them like 3 miles to a giant parking lot next to a rail yard , then back to boat via bus for next car.
Would go on all day with a steady stream. I’d bet it all of them showed up at dealers with 25 miles (gotta get on boat in Korea, then off boat, onto train or semi truck , , ect.)

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Now that we’ve placed an order for a BS Badlands, I was wondering:

How would you guys feel if your dealer allowed other people to test drive your Bronco Sport, something you customized, ordered and waited months for, before you picked it up?
My sales guy put off limit signs on mine and hid it in their undercoating shop. They also removed the BL stickers for me.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Will salespeople really attempt to sell another customer’s ordered vehicle?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have mixed feelings about it. My first impression was that I'd be pissed.

Then I thought about my Outer Banks. I didn't order it, it was just there at the dealers lot. When I went to test drive it, it had 40 miles on it. I put on another 13 and bought it on the spot. No one test drove it after I did as I checked the mileage.

So, what's the difference? It's only in your feelings.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I understand your point, but the idea of special ordering a vehicle, waiting months for it to arrive and then finding out the dealer has allowed other people to drive it (maybe abuse it) is not acceptable to me.

A vehicle that’s on the lot is a different matter.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Will salespeople really attempt to sell another customer’s ordered vehicle?
clearly comes down to the dealer and their ethics. Money makes stupid decisions possible...My guy went to great lengths to prevent it. One, it assured me he was not that guy...two...it assured me guys/women he worked with were. So...think of three friends/associates with low moral value...assume they are car salesmen...there is your answer

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Around a year back someone bought new Badlands Sport. Pulls off lot, eng cuts out at first stop light, would not restart. Towed back to dealer who spent weeks couldn't fix it. Lemon lawed it back. Now if someone else would have drove it before him it would have broke down before he bought it. Dealer ended up selling him an Outer Banks..

So getting a few test miles on there isn't the worse thing.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I understand your point, but the idea of special ordering a vehicle, waiting months for it to arrive and then finding out the dealer has allowed other people to drive it (maybe abuse it) is not acceptable to me.

A vehicle that’s on the lot is a different matter.
I understand perfectly where you're coming from; it's supposed to be YOUR vehicle. To alleviate some of you fear, however, I'll say there is almost nothing someone can do while test driving your vehicle to cause any harm. That's especially true if the salesperson is along for the ride.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I've purchased at least 6 new cars. None had over 10 miles on the odometer. 6 to 8 miles is normal.

The reason I've always purchased new cars is that almost all of them were performance cars with manual transmissions. I was leery of used cars because of the very real possibility that they might have been modified/raced/abused. Years ago there were no rev limiters so a person could do serious damage to the engine and/or drivetrain of any car, new or used.

Even with a rev limiter there was nothing stopping a person from doing high rpm clutch dumps. Some damage is not obvious. After buying my WRX I read several sad tales about guys buying one used, still under warranty and having the transmission blow up. They'd take it to Subaru, the dealer would open up the tranny and inspect it, and decline warranty repairs because the car had been abused. So the owner was on the hook for $Thousands.

Flash forward -- the Bronco Sport has an automatic, and a rev limiter. It is probably smart enough not to allow the transmission to be put into gear (D/R) at much above idle. So it's relatively well protected compared to ye olden days, but:

1) It's still possible for some yahoo going for a "test drive" to intentionally hit potholes and drive over parking lot 'bumpers', etc, to 'test the suspension'. Or, with the BL, hold it in a lower gear and drive down the road bouncing off the rev limiter -- just for the hell of it. The BS manual calls for a 1,000 mile break-in period -- partial throttle, moderate rpm, gentle braking. One test drive by the wrong person could ruin the break-in.

2) As with so much of this stuff, there's a principle involved. A new car should be just that -- NEW! As in, not used for test drives and joy rides. If customers want to drive a car it should be a dealer demo.

Our BL had 8 miles on it. If it had more than about 15 I would have walked. We keep our cars a long time. They all have 200-250,000 miles. I would not take a chance with one that has been driven -- beyond the normal factory testing and delivery.

That said, it may be OK. A buyer could roll the dice and get lucky. I've heard of people buying so-called "new" cars with hundreds of miles on them. IMO, at that point it's definitely a used car, which in the before times would mean a steep discount.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Test drove brand new 05 SRT4 had 50 miles on it. I hit second gear full throttle exhaust pipe slapped floor from motor mounts flexing and tires spinning. I bought it that day then drove it for 11 years now my son owns it. Still solid reliable to this day at 110k miles and my son says he aint never selling it. The original 50 miles that were on the car before me I am sure those weren't easy miles my guess enthusiast put it through its paces most likely.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE