Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I came across this feature of the 1.5 I was not aware of, which could toss a curve into wanting to leave the way it operates alone (I.E. tuning). I saw from a search that Mark S. mentioned it when he addressed timing chains verses timing belts, so off I went to learn about it. Found this in the Ford service manual that goes into detail.

Cylinder deactivation
Direct fuel injection and Port Fuel Injection (PFI)
Balance shaft in the engine block

The biggest innovation to the 1.5L EcoBoost engine is the cylinder deactivation. During operation at partial load, the first engine cylinder can be deactivated hydraulically. This reduces the fuel consumption and the emissions of the engine or vehicle. If only minimal engine power is required, the system stops the gasoline injection and the valve actuation. The connection between the camshaft and the intake and exhaust valves of the first cylinder is interrupted via a new camshaft module and a special rocker arm by means of engine oil pressure.

(I say - Good enough reason to stick with Ford's recommended oil viscosity).

The PCM calculates the optimal time using the engine speed, throttle position, and load condition.
The intake and exhaust valves remain closed and enclose the mixture in the combustion chamber. This should balance the forces acting on the cylinders by means of a kind of â spring effect.
The temperature within the deactivated combustion chamber is also maintained in this way, which increases the efficiency of the combustion when the cylinder is activated again.
The activation and deactivation only take approx. 14 milliseconds. The system operates at engine speeds of up to 4,500 RPM.
The friction and pump losses within the engine are reduced. The fuel consumption and CO2 emissions decrease by up to 6%. The PCM actuates a solenoid to deactivate the first cylinder. The solenoid controls the oil pressure for actuating a spring-loaded plunger in the rocker arm. When the solenoid is actuated, it applies engine oil pressure to the plunger in the rocker arm, pushing it back and releasing the freewheel mechanism of the rocker arm.
If the cam of the camshaft now presses against the rocker arm it is pressed downwards, but without actuating the valve. If the required engine power increases again, the PCM actuates the solenoid again and deactivates cylinder deactivation.

To guarantee the durability of the engine, the camshaft drive has been modified and the rocker arm is produced using a new injection molding process.

The camshafts of the 1.5L EcoBoost engine are no longer to be replaced as a single service part in the case of a repair but as a module consisting of the two camshafts and the cylinder head cover.

The combustion process produces forces that act on the piston crown. The upward and downward movements of the pistons and connecting rods, together with the rotational movement of the crankshaft, generate inertia forces that cause different types of vibrations in the cylinder block. The 1.5L EcoBoost engine has a balance shaft for compensating these vibrations.

The balance shaft is driven via a gear, which in turn is driven by the crankshaft.
When working on the balance shaft, the correct setting of the timing must be ensured.

The 1.5L EcoBoost engine features both direct fuel injection and a port fuel injection (PFI) system.
Combining the two injection systems in the 1.5L EcoBoost engine optimizes power output, economy, and emissions in all driving situations.
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I came across this feature of the 1.5 I was not aware of, which could toss a curve into wanting to leave the way it operates alone (I.E. tuning). I saw from a search that Mark S. mentioned it when he addressed timing chains verses timing belts, so off I went to learn about it. Found this in the Ford service manual that goes into detail.

Cylinder deactivation
Direct fuel injection and Port Fuel Injection (PFI)
Balance shaft in the engine block

The biggest innovation to the 1.5L EcoBoost engine is the cylinder deactivation. During operation at partial load, the first engine cylinder can be deactivated hydraulically. This reduces the fuel consumption and the emissions of the engine or vehicle. If only minimal engine power is required, the system stops the gasoline injection and the valve actuation. The connection between the camshaft and the intake and exhaust valves of the first cylinder is interrupted via a new camshaft module and a special rocker arm by means of engine oil pressure.

(I say - Good enough reason to stick with Ford's recommended oil viscosity).

The PCM calculates the optimal time using the engine speed, throttle position, and load condition.
The intake and exhaust valves remain closed and enclose the mixture in the combustion chamber. This should balance the forces acting on the cylinders by means of a kind of â spring effect.
The temperature within the deactivated combustion chamber is also maintained in this way, which increases the efficiency of the combustion when the cylinder is activated again.
The activation and deactivation only take approx. 14 milliseconds. The system operates at engine speeds of up to 4,500 RPM.
The friction and pump losses within the engine are reduced. The fuel consumption and CO2 emissions decrease by up to 6%. The PCM actuates a solenoid to deactivate the first cylinder. The solenoid controls the oil pressure for actuating a spring-loaded plunger in the rocker arm. When the solenoid is actuated, it applies engine oil pressure to the plunger in the rocker arm, pushing it back and releasing the freewheel mechanism of the rocker arm.
If the cam of the camshaft now presses against the rocker arm it is pressed downwards, but without actuating the valve. If the required engine power increases again, the PCM actuates the solenoid again and deactivates cylinder deactivation.

To guarantee the durability of the engine, the camshaft drive has been modified and the rocker arm is produced using a new injection molding process.

The camshafts of the 1.5L EcoBoost engine are no longer to be replaced as a single service part in the case of a repair but as a module consisting of the two camshafts and the cylinder head cover.

The combustion process produces forces that act on the piston crown. The upward and downward movements of the pistons and connecting rods, together with the rotational movement of the crankshaft, generate inertia forces that cause different types of vibrations in the cylinder block. The 1.5L EcoBoost engine has a balance shaft for compensating these vibrations.

The balance shaft is driven via a gear, which in turn is driven by the crankshaft.
When working on the balance shaft, the correct setting of the timing must be ensured.

The 1.5L EcoBoost engine features both direct fuel injection and a port fuel injection (PFI) system.
Combining the two injection systems in the 1.5L EcoBoost engine optimizes power output, economy, and emissions in all driving situations.
"...both direct fuel injection and a port fuel injection..." I wish the 2.0L had this feature -- it's something they're bring out as advanced/improved feature now, e.g. in the bigger 6/8 cyl engines (I'd have to re-check which).

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
"...both direct fuel injection and a port fuel injection..." I wish the 2.0L had this feature -- it's something they're bring out as advanced/improved feature now, e.g. in the bigger 6/8 cyl engines (I'd have to re-check which).
The “new/revised” 2.3L EcoBoost in the 2024 Mustang is reported to have direct and port fuel injection. Think it is supposed to help keep deposits from forming on back of valves.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
Port and direct injection are one of the reasons I went with a 1.5.

it’s a really great engine once you get past the early water pump/injector issues,

Last edited:

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
I get it. Maybe you should read some of the other threads on the fuel drain recall and the water pump issues. There are many threads. And it does get old. Nothing like folks beating a dead horse.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mark, you can lead the Bronco horse to water, but you can't make them drink. You have tried; many, many times.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am I missing something?
Do a search on posts by Mark. He has tried to explain the recall of potential leaking injectors...I'll stop there.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Am I missing something?
The recall addressed fuel leaks in the engine compartment, not faulty injectors. Ford's investigation of the cause is not yet complete, so we don't know if there is an issue with the injectors or not. Given all the evidence (specifically, the number of engine fires linked to cracked injectors) I don't believe Ford will prophylactically replace the fuel injectors, because they do not fail at a rate any higher than other industry options.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Are they talking about the valve cover or a secondary assembly under the valve cover that holds the cams? Interesting little engine.

"The camshafts of the 1.5L EcoBoost engine are no longer to be replaced as a single service part in the case of a repair but as a module consisting of the two camshafts and the cylinder head cover."

The video shows a timing chain. I think the info out there that mentions a "timing belt" they are just using that wording as a generic term.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
The recall addressed fuel leaks in the engine compartment, not faulty injectors. Ford's investigation of the cause is not yet complete, so we don't know if there is an issue with the injectors or not. Given all the evidence (specifically, the number of engine fires linked to cracked injectors) I don't believe Ford will prophylactically replace the fuel injectors, because they do not fail at a rate any higher than other industry options.
I don't have a drain hose on my '22 - what was replaced/upgraded/addressed? I use "injector issue" as a blanket statement. I know it's from a fuel leak - but always understood it happening because of cracked injectors dumping fuel. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a drain hose on my '22 - what was replaced/upgraded/addressed? I use "injector issue" as a blanket statement. I know it's from a fuel leak - but always understood it happening because of cracked injectors dumping fuel. Thanks for the info.
Watch this video of the recall being done to see what to look for. Even though its being done on a Ford Escape, it's a 1.5, the same for the BS.

Sponsored