Custom sub box and amp install.

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today I finished installing a custom sub box that I built under the cargo floor and a line converter with the amp under the pass side rear seat storage area.
Sub is a Dayton Audio 8” in roughly .5 cu ft.
Amp is an old school Zapco I had laying around with built in x-oxer.
Installed a simple PAC LP7-2 line out converter connected to the front door speakers.
Running speaker wires and power cable wasn’t too bad. Just a TON of plastic panels to remove.
I brought the power wire in through a large rubber grommet on the firewall behind the battery. It was way easier with the battery removed. Just poke a slightly smaller hole than the size of the wire, apply a small bit of soapy water to the cable push it through. There’s plenty of room for any size cable, even 1/0.
Tapping into the front speaker wire was done at the harnesses by the kick-panels.
The driver side front harness was the easiest to get to and had lots of room to work. Remove the dead pedal and there are two harnesses. The lower one has the speaker wires. What I found after testing, speaker wire at the harness were twisted and taped together which helped identify them.
Front left wire colors.
light blue = positive, gray black = negative
Passenger side harness was easiest to get to by removing the glove box and the plastic fuse panel cover underneath.
Front right wire colors.
yellow orange = positive, green black = negative
There are a bunch of yellow/orange wires in the harness, the ones to tap into have black electrical tape and twisted together.
If anyone attempts this, use this info at your own risk.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. The B&O system, in my opinion, sucks and not worth the cost. About any aftermarket sub will out perform the stock sub. Also, I’ve been installing stereo systems for many years and knew that I’d never leave it stock.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
You must have not gotten the B&O system I take it.
I'm thinking they didn't, but I'm curious as to how it sounds. I have an OB on order with the B&O, primarily for the B&O.
I wouldn't be surprised that someone configures a non-B&O to sound better than the B&O via an amp and speaker replacement + subwoofer.

I went aftermarket in my '16 CX-5 and their Bose premium systems didn't touch it.

Really interested in this thread, keep 'em coming...

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Nope. The B&O system, in my opinion, sucks and not worth the cost. About any aftermarket sub will out perform the stock sub.
That's believable. Do you plan on speaker replacement and possibly an amp for them?

OP
OP

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's believable. Do you plan on speaker replacement and possibly an amp for them?
Yes, eventually. That’s primarily why I chose to tap into the front speaker wires. There’s plenty of room in the under seat storage for a decent 5ch amp.

MuddyBoots

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Yes, eventually. That’s primarily why I chose to tap into the front speaker wires. There’s plenty of room in the under seat storage for a decent 5ch amp.

Any worries about overheating in storage compartment?

OP
OP

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any worries about overheating in storage compartment?
Its been about a month of use and abuse. My old school Zapco is a fanless class AB amp and it barely gets warm to the touch. Its not a sealed compartment. There are slight gaps and openings from the cargo area.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Its been about a month of use and abuse. My old school Zapco is a fanless class AB amp and it barely gets warm to the touch. Its not a sealed compartment. There are slight gaps and openings from the cargo area.
Got any pictures with the tray cover on? Is it still even? Also do you use a cargo mat? I'm curious if since it's raised would either of the cargo mat options still fit?

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Today I finished installing a custom sub box that I built under the cargo floor and a line converter with the amp under the pass side rear seat storage area.
Sub is a Dayton Audio 8” in roughly .5 cu ft.
Amp is an old school Zapco I had laying around with built in x-oxer.
Installed a simple PAC LP7-2 line out converter connected to the front door speakers.
Running speaker wires and power cable wasn’t too bad. Just a TON of plastic panels to remove.
I brought the power wire in through a large rubber grommet on the firewall behind the battery. It was way easier with the battery removed. Just poke a slightly smaller hole than the size of the wire, apply a small bit of soapy water to the cable push it through. There’s plenty of room for any size cable, even 1/0.
Tapping into the front speaker wire was done at the harnesses by the kick-panels.
The driver side front harness was the easiest to get to and had lots of room to work. Remove the dead pedal and there are two harnesses. The lower one has the speaker wires. What I found after testing, speaker wire at the harness were twisted and taped together which helped identify them.
Front left wire colors.
light blue = positive, gray black = negative
Passenger side harness was easiest to get to by removing the glove box and the plastic fuse panel cover underneath.
Front right wire colors.
yellow orange = positive, green black = negative
There are a bunch of yellow/orange wires in the harness, the ones to tap into have black electrical tape and twisted together.
If anyone attempts this, use this info at your own risk.
Sorry if i missing it but where did you tap the remote switch?

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
If anyone wants to tap rear speakers i pulled the rear door panel on passenger side to check speaker colors ... then removed the lower plastic "pillar" covering... its just snapped in and pretty easy to remove there you access the wires a little more conveniently and dont have to go through the door grommet and tubing ... the wire color on passenger side (at least base model) are grey and green/purple aand, like front are twisted.. i only accessed that side but i would imagine the other side is twisted as well.... i plan on running a fuse tap for the remote so ill update when i run some tests and pick a location

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
So fuse tapped here under the glovebox..nearly impossible to get a good photo ... but is far left 10amp on the row that goes (right to left) 20;15;10;10... im running a sound storm lab lopro 8 because i already had one not being used.... which fits under the cargo floor (i have it on slant just for a little air space. Overall pleased with the sound really.

Ford Bronco Sport Custom sub box and amp install. 20210707_175335
Sponsored