Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have the 2021 bronco sport big bend. I noticed that when I have it on cruise and have it set at 50 mph. that when I start going down a long steep slope that the vehicle will increase speed to over 60 mph. by the time I get to the bottom of the hill. I also have a 2012 Ford escape and it will not increase speed going down the same hill, it will gear down and keep me at 50 mph. I mentioned that to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he said he would check with Ford and other dealers but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Has anyone experienced that problem?
Sponsored

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
just curious, what engine in the Escape? even the 2.3L has a lot more compression braking than your 1.5L.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I have the 2021 bronco sport big bend. I noticed that when I have it on cruise and have it set at 50 mph. that when I start going down a long steep slope that the vehicle will increase speed to over 60 mph. by the time I get to the bottom of the hill. I also have a 2012 Ford escape and it will not increase speed going down the same hill, it will gear down and keep me at 50 mph. I mentioned that to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he said he would check with Ford and other dealers but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Has anyone experienced that problem?
copilot 360 Or 360+?
I don’t usually go down hills but in my Big Bend when using 360+ Cruise control it slows down when the speed limit changes in a very short distance (I think it uses brakes + change of engine power output ) I would expect it to keep the proper speed on hills as well.

OP
OP
Kraken1

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the V-6 in the Escape.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
There's a big difference here in the Cruise control between the models. in our 2017 escapes, the Se had regular cruise control and would gain speed going down and hill then coast back to what the cruise control was set. on my Titanium, the Adaptive cruise control would gear down to try and maintain the speed set going downhill. 2 completely different cruise control systems and thus different behaviors. Both were the 2l ecoboost engine.

On our Bronco Sport, we have 360+ which has the adaptive/intelligent cruise control and it maintains the speed downhill. My assumption would be with vanilla 360, you do not have adaptive cruise control and the behavior described would be normal.
I am not 100% sure but there also could be a similar difference with adaptive and intelligent, I'd have to test, but there is more than just traffic sign recognition with the intelligent cc over the adaptive cc.

Stuntman_Shawn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Yes. We experience the same thing. 2022 Outer Banks. The Cruse control won't control over speed.

OP
OP
Kraken1

Kraken1

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's right, the guys at the dealership said it's because of the eight-speed trany and because it is so free-wheeling it will coast and pick up speed. Good for the gas mileage and bad if there is a cop waiting for you at the bottom of the hill with his radar on.
My 2012 Ford Escape with four-speed trany always kept me at the speed I had set on the cruise.

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Wildtrak
Well I hope Ford pays for speeding tickets.?
I don't know if it's the case, but usually "regular CCs", don't brake the car if it raises speed when downhill ..... Only adaptative CCs do this. (not only for Fords, but for all brands)

Last edited:

Stuntman_Shawn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Every car I have owned an currently still do, will maintain the set speed. None of them had "adaptive cruise". Think something is wrong with the system.

Rodrigo_V_U

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Wildtrak
I have never seen a regular CC (non adaptative) using brakes.

The most I saw in very few of these below was the transmission reducing one gear to "try" to keep the speed, but never using brake.

Nissan Sentra
Nissan Frontier
Ford Focus
Ford Ranger
Fiat Cronos
Renault Megane
Renault Fluence
Renault Captur
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Compass
VW Polo
VW Amarok
VW Golf
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Hilux
Kia Sportage
Hyundai HB20
Hyundai Creta
Hyundai Tucson

The only ones that used brake, were equipped with ACC.

VW Golf
VW Nivus
Ford Ranger
Ford Fusion
Ford Bronco Sport
BMW X4
Toyota RAV4
Jeep Compass
Jeep Commander
Nissan Leaf
Renault Zoe

These are the ones I remember, between many others cars I have owned and/or driven (I work in a 16 brands dealers group, so everytime I'm using a different test drive car).
Sponsored

Last edited: