2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I can hear my wife screaming now....

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
When I saw that the Badlands, in particular, had a rating of 24 inches for fording, I was so excited. And then I found out the ECU is kept behind the front fog light essentially and there was even a thread on here with someone who shorted their ECU out by going thru about two feet of water.
Iā€™m not so sure I would try any of this with that ECU located where it is. Am I being paranoid?

thoughts?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
@gatornek Read these links for many recent thoughts on the topic.

my opinion is itā€™s not only about the water depth exceeding the ECU and itā€™s connectors but how long components are submerged. Itā€™s one thing to be submerged for a couple of seconds but 10s of seconds or more as well as repeated submerging increases possibility for damage. And are the connections sealed against water, is the ECU sealed against water (both donā€™t state for how long they can be submerged).

so people report they go thru water but provide no info for how long these components were submerged. And only one person back in ā€˜21 provided pics of the damage to the ECU connectors (ECU failed as well)ā€¦ those pics likely show either repeated water crossings and/or for an extended time but no way to know.

and the links discuss potential issues with mechanical components such as the diff.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-snorkel-for-the-bs.8769/
ā€Øhttps://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/snorkel-for-bronco-sport.7074/

enjoy!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
When I saw that the Badlands, in particular, had a rating of 24 inches for fording, I was so excited. And then I found out the ECU is kept behind the front fog light essentially and there was even a thread on here with someone who shorted their ECU out by going thru about two feet of water.
Iā€™m not so sure I would try any of this with that ECU located where it is. Am I being paranoid?

thoughts?
Seeing as how 24 inches is 2 feet, you're right at the fording limit. I'd be paranoid as well as sore from the punching my wife would be giving me if she was in the BS or not, when I came home.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
@gatornek Read these links for many recent thoughts on the topic.

my opinion is itā€™s not only about the water depth exceeding the ECU and itā€™s connectors but how long components are submerged. Itā€™s one thing to be submerged for a couple of seconds but 10s of seconds or more as well as repeated submerging increases possibility for damage. And are the connections sealed against water, is the ECU sealed against water (both donā€™t state for how long they can be submerged).

so people report they go thru water but provide no info for how long these components were submerged. And only one person back in ā€˜21 provided pics of the damage to the ECU connectors (ECU failed as well)ā€¦ those pics likely show either repeated water crossings and/or for an extended time but no way to know.

and the links discuss potential issues with mechanical components such as the diff.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-snorkel-for-the-bs.8769/
ā€Øhttps://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/snorkel-for-bronco-sport.7074/

enjoy!
Thank you. I will go through.