Crooked hitch receiver

drab

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just from eyeball, when I mounted a brand new hitch mount in the factory hitch of my wife's new Sport it appeared crooked. I thought maybe the new hitch mount was defective. But I went into the garage and got another one, it also looked crooked. I then mounted be bike rack I have, and it too is crooked. It appears the receiver itself is welded in at an angle. Do you think this is within spec, or should i see if they will warranty it? You get this same angle no matter what is mounted in there.

Ford Bronco Sport Crooked hitch receiver IMG_2880
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just from eyeball, when I mounted a brand new hitch mount in the factory hitch of my wife's new Sport it appeared crooked. I thought maybe the new hitch mount was defective. But I went into the garage and got another one, it also looked crooked. I then mounted be bike rack I have, and it too is crooked. It appears the receiver itself is welded in at an angle. Do you think this is within spec, or should i see if they will warranty it? You get this same angle no matter what is mounted in there.

Odd.
1.Throw a leveler on there to see how much.
2. park on a level surface
3. place the level on top of your bumper to get a base line (i.e. note/mark where the bubble is) as the level surface from step 2 is likely not 100% level. Also things like tire pressure, suspension sag, etc alll play into levelness so this base line will correct that.

affect on towing really depends on how much off.

I would take it to Toyota with all that I formation. Is Factory tow welded to frame?

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I would take that to my dealer and ask them to make it right and I'm pretty sure they would.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It happened to some guy on the f150 forum and they replaced his…. Here is what he wrote

”I took it into the dealer to have it looked at this afternoon and they confirmed that the square receiver was welded incorrectly.

They placed an order for a new one under warranty and told me they will call me in a few days to have it installed. Hopefully the new one is better.”

OP
OP

drab

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'll drive it by the dealer.

I don't want to be a nit picker, but it does kind of bother me, especially when the bike rack is on. I'll report back what they say.

OP
OP

drab

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Dealer service guy said he can't see anything wrong, he measured it off by 3/4 degree.

I said, even so, it bothers me to have the bike rack crooked.

So he called back later and said he put a request in to "engineering" and will report back what he hears. In the mean time I picked it back up.

So I guess we just wait to hear what Ford engineering says.

kvenerable

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Dealer service guy said he can't see anything wrong, he measured it off by 3/4 degree.

I said, even so, it bothers me to have the bike rack crooked.

So he called back later and said he put a request in to "engineering" and will report back what he hears. In the mean time I picked it back up.

So I guess we just wait to hear what Ford engineering says.
He can’t see anything wrong?? Was his head cocked a bit To one side? Maybe one leg longer than the other? Looks way off to me…

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
I’d say he’s off by an order of magnitude at least. Measure the length of the horizontal piece, measure how much too high is the right end, then do the math.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Odd.
1.Throw a leveler on there to see how much.
2. park on a level surface
3. place the level on top of your bumper to get a base line (i.e. note/mark where the bubble is) as the level surface from step 2 is likely not 100% level. Also things like tire pressure, suspension sag, etc alll play into levelness so this base line will correct that.

affect on towing really depends on how much off.

I would take it to Toyota with all that I formation. Is Factory tow welded to frame?
Take your iPhone and put on your level and lay it on the top square of the hitch, see what it reads .

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Maybe have diff dealer look at it.

OP
OP

drab

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I should have been more clear. by "couldn't see anything wrong" he meant he it wasn't like missing a washer or had a bolt loose or something wrong like that. I should have been more clear. He agreed that it was crooked. But he did not think the angle was enough to really matter.

He was certainly nice, professional and not dismissive.

I will give it a couple days to see what he hears.

1 degree would be 1" in 5 feet. So it seems like it is that much to me.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Return/Replace