Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Greetings,

I have a 2021 Bronco Sport BB with 5,500 miles on it. I've noticed recently, for a short time after initial start-up, that whenever I stop and the vehicle is idling, I hear very clearly what sounds like a cooling fan or the turbo winding up. It gets to a certain level and remains steady. As soon as I accelerate, I can clearly hear it wind down. Next stop, winds up, accelerate and it winds down. After a period of normal driving, it goes away. Engine RPM's do not change.

No warnings, no lights, no errors, nothing to indicate a problem. I have an appointment next week but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

U P D A T E - 1/4/2022 - I cancelled my service appointment when the outdoor temperature got above 30 and they issue stopped. If I couldn't recreate the problem, they couldn't. This lead me to believe it was a temperature related issue. This morning it was 7 degrees and still nothing. Now I don't know what to blame it on.

U P D A T E - 1/6/2022 - I received as recall notice yesterday via FordPass. I'm due for an oil change too so I scheduled an appointment. Coincidentally, my wind up noise started again yesterday. It was about 35 degrees so I've ruled out being cold related. Initially, I remote started the vehicle via FordPass but the issue continued when I re-started the vehicle normally so I've ruled that out as a contributing factor. After driving a few miles, while sitting in a parking lot, in park, at idle, the noise wound down and that was the last I heard of it. I'm trying everything I can think of while its happening. I also noticed that while in park, if I bring the RPM's up, the noise does not go away however, accelerating from a stop, in drive, it does. Sooner or later all of these little tidbits will be the clue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Greetings,

I have a 2021 Bronco Sport BB with 5,500 miles on it. I've noticed recently, for a short time after initial start-up, that whenever I stop and the vehicle is idling, I hear very clearly what sounds like a cooling fan or the turbo winding up. It gets to a certain level and remains steady. As soon as I accelerate, I can clearly hear it wind down. Next stop, winds up, accelerate and it winds down. After a period of normal driving, it goes away. Engine RPM's do not change.

No warnings, no lights, no errors, nothing to indicate a problem. I have an appointment next week but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership information? I can take a look at things with your Bronco on my end.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does the sound come on when at just lower speeds on a warm engine? There’s a whirring sound I can hear after the engine warms up around 1500 RPM, that you can even get to happen when in neutral revving to that speed, might be worth a try to see if it is the same. Other noise threads have detailed the sound (“on this episode of” search can find it).

I always tend to notice it when going through parking lots as it is only there at the lower first gear speeds.

If you can get a recording even better!

fred.

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
I would but I'm not sure how to do that.
On a computer - you should be able to hover over or Click their name "Ford Motor Company" and then click the "Start Conversation" button. On mobile, you may need to click their name, click "Visit Profile" and then click the start conversation button.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Does the sound come on when at just lower speeds on a warm engine? There’s a whirring sound I can hear after the engine warms up around 1500 RPM, that you can even get to happen when in neutral revving to that speed, might be worth a try to see if it is the same. Other noise threads have detailed the sound (“on this episode of” search can find it).

I always tend to notice it when going through parking lots as it is only there at the lower first gear speeds.

If you can get a recording even better!

fred.
Shift cable ? Back a few months ago there was some talking about that .

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Greetings,

Check forum low speed noises .

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Greetings,

I dont see how the turbo could spool up at idle. Sounds more like the radiator cooling fan.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Shift cable ? Back a few months ago there was some talking about that .
Park Release Cable has been known to make noises on some.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl