Convince me I should get a Sport or Bronco vs......What sealed the deal for you?

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
Hi Folks

I put the 100 deposit down on a Bronco Sport back in September. I currently have a 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman manual with 170,000 that has been good to me but doesnt have much more time left on the road. Prior to the Mini I had a Subaru Outback 06 xt that i had fun with and sold once it reached 180k. Im ready for a new car not necessarily something Im gonna keep for 10 years, maybe 3-5. Im a little nervy about buying a car the first year it comes out( if there are glitches). Reasons I want a Bronco Sport....I love camping and roadtrips, I have a 90 pound german shepherd, ilike the simplicity, design, functionality of the sport and trad bronco.. Reasons I might not want one....mpg and price point not great as far as incentives and OTD offerings.That being said Im a no frills kinda gal. My first car i bought in the 80s was a 73 Ghia and I had that baby for almost 20 years. It was fun to drive ( you could talk and drive and listen to music and drive but not do all 3)Loud, simple and fun! I have test driven jeeps and they are ok(but not my thing)I went the complete opposite direction and test drove a Honda CRV today. The CRV was smooth, had great cargo space, great mpg and the interior was really nice.The trim above base model is OTD 3,000 bones less than the Big Bend MSRP( not including taxes)The CRV also is sooo boring. So convince me why I should get the Sport or wait for the Bronco. Im just a working shlub who works at a school and the last time I checked money wasn't falling off trees. I am fortunate to have been employed this past year and I am grateful. Oh one more thing i'm commuting to my school about 400 miles a week now. This time next year i hope to put on half as many miles a week. Thanks in advance everyone.
Sponsored

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
In my opinion:

Absolutely donā€™t get the full size Bronco unless you intend to do the level of serious off roading it is capable off. If you never take it on anything worse than a rough gravel road, you are just getting an expensive SUV with poor road handling, awful gas mileage, and an interior well below its price point. Itā€™s one of the most capable factory off road vehicles ever made, but itā€™s pointless if you arenā€™t really off roading.

The same applies to the Sport but to a lesser extent. Donā€™t get it if you wonā€™t be using the off road capabilities. There are better options with better gas mileage, more room, whatever features you want, and can handle and reasonable gravel with ease. The Toyota RAV4 would be my top pick.

Now if you want a small SUV with off road capability beyond a RAV4 woth a rugged interior meant for the outdoors and are willing to sacrifice gas mileage, price, and road performance to get it, the the Bronco Sport is the car for you.

What sealed the deal for me? The suspension is built to take a beating. The small size is exactly what I wanted. The short overhangs and bash plates are a huge help for remote camping and milder off roading Iā€™ll be doing. The interior is all rubberized or plastic for easy cleaning of mud.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
I had an ā€™04 Crv and a ā€˜17. The 2017 was a lemon, real issue with oil being diluted by fuel. Also grill shutters that threw errors and cut power on climbs despite opening and closing when they should. I feel like Honda has slipped on quality, but wonā€™t admit to problems. It was the first year after a refresh, so Iā€™m rolling the dice again with the BS.

Iā€™m not a serious off-roader, but I do get off the pavement somewhat regularly, and was looking for just a bit more capability. Iā€™d take the old CRV for dirt roads when I had the new one. The only new compact crossovers I know of with a decent approach angle (to not rip your bumper and transmission cooler off on a washout) are the Bronco sport, the compact Jeep offerings, and the KIA seltos. Every other one Iā€™ve seen has a very low bumper, and usually trans cooler or radiator down in it. Being the only one with rubber flooring was a bonus for me.

I think if youā€™re staying on pavement and well maintained dirt roads, and efficiency is a big concern there are better options.

For me, Iā€™m hoping to do enough dirt driving to make the BS Badlands worth it. I usually drive farther for recreation than my 50ish miles per week commute, so mediocre mpg isnā€™t a big worry. Anything I canā€™t park in a compact spot would be a hassle, so that rules out a lot of dirt worthy options.

Iā€™m happy with mine so far, itā€™s almost as nice to drive on road as the the other modern crossovers, besides not cornering as well. Itā€™s definitely the most comfortable ride Iā€™ve ever had on washboard and bumpy dirt roads. It also feels more truck like than I expected, in a good way.

Last edited:

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I got an Outer Banks. Close to 2000 miles on it now. I traded in a Subaru Forester. I love my Sport and very very glad I got it. But. I believe you get more bang for your buck with a Subaru. More extras on the Subaru for less money. It handled beautifully on slippery roads.
Why did I switch? The Subaru is dated and boring. I'm old and so over boring. My Forester started to burn oil at 60,000 miles. The touch screen was difficult to work. Acorns dented the hood. Never had that happen on my previous Fords. Did I say it was boring?
Gas mileage? My Subaru got 33 to 35 mpg. I'm getting 31 to 33 on my Sport.
As mentioned by others, look carefully at what you need the vehicle to do. Where you drive. And how long you will keep it. For me, the Sport is perfect.

OP
OP

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
I had an ā€™04 Crv and a ā€˜17. The 2017 was a lemon, real issue with oil being diluted by fuel. Also grill shutters that threw errors and cut power on climbs despite opening and closing when they should. I feel like Honda has slipped on quality, but wonā€™t admit to problems. It was the first year after a refresh, so Iā€™m rolling the dice again with the BS.

Iā€™m not a serious off-roader, but I do get off the pavement somewhat regularly, and was looking for just a bit more capability. Iā€™d take the old CRV for dirt roads when I had the new one. The only new compact crossovers I know of with a decent approach angle (to not rip your bumper and transmission cooler off on a washout) are the Bronco sport, the compact Jeep offerings, and the KIA seltos. Every other one Iā€™ve seen has a very low bumper, and usually trans cooler or radiator down in it. Being the only one with rubber flooring was a bonus for me.

I think if youā€™re staying on pavement and well maintained dirt roads, and efficiency is a big concern there are better options.

For me, Iā€™m hoping to do enough dirt driving to make the BS Badlands worth it. I usually drive farther for recreation than my 50ish miles per week commute, so mediocre mpg isnā€™t a big worry. Anything I canā€™t park in a compact spot would be a hassle, so that rules out a lot of dirt worthy options.

Iā€™m happy with mine so far, itā€™s almost as nice to drive on road as the the other modern crossovers, besides not cornering as well. Itā€™s definitely the most comfortable ride Iā€™ve ever had on washboard and bumpy dirt roads. It also feels more truck like than I expected, in a good way.
Thanks so much . I forgot to mention that I spend a lot of time in the redwoods volunteering at a summer camp(200 plus acres) and I would love to drive easily on the backroads when I am there or any other camp site i visit. My subaru was able to clear the roads any time of the year any of the other cars I own not. I also camp in areas with family and friends property that has creeks and rivers to cross and the levels can be variable.....Im hoping the ford bronco sport will do the trick and it will be more fun than having to leave my car on the other side of the river and have my friends come and get me with there Jeep, Taco etc. For what its worth I think Subaru has slipped on quality as well(just my opinion though) Thank you for the very thoughtful response.

OP
OP

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
I got an Outer Banks. Close to 2000 miles on it now. I traded in a Subaru Forester. I love my Sport and very very glad I got it. But. I believe you get more bang for your buck with a Subaru. More extras on the Subaru for less money. It handled beautifully on slippery roads.
Why did I switch? The Subaru is dated and boring. I'm old and so over boring. My Forester started to burn oil at 60,000 miles. The touch screen was difficult to work. Acorns dented the hood. Never had that happen on my previous Fords. Did I say it was boring?
As mentioned by others, look carefully at what you need the vehicle to do. Where you drive. And how long you will keep it. For me, the Sport is perfect.
I had a subaru outback xt manual 06 170k miles on it my Dad has it now...oil problems and some other stuff...honestly Im bored with subies and i feel like they are riding on their laurels at this stage. Just my opinion...anyone want to by buy my sube call me(haha)Thank you for your reply!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I actually needed a gravel grinder that could climb like a billy goat.
My base model GOAT and 4wd system is perfect for my 14% grade very loose when dry and slicker than snot when wet gravel climb up to and from my house.
With $4.00 and beyond fuel price in our future I'm So very glad I got the 1.5L as I dig my now 27 mpg average fuel rate.
It was the first one in Cherokee county and it was an Impulse buy.
I thought it was a Range Rover when I first saw it.
Shadow black base model.. Love it !

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
My sister has an 06 Forrester with 180k or so on it. Itā€™s burned oil for at least 150k of that, keeps on ticking though.

Reactions: she

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I had a subaru outback xt manual 06 170k miles on it my Dad has it now...oil problems and some other stuff...honestly Im bored with subies and i feel like they are riding on their laurels at this stage. Just my opinion...anyone want to by buy my sube call me(haha)Thank you for your reply!
Sounds like you need a Bronco Sport! ?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Have an '18 Escape now. Need something a little better at getting the canoes down the fire roads to the canoe launches. The Escape bottoms out and gets bogged down sometimes. Still most of my driving is on the road till the last mile or less. Full size Bronco would be overkill. Test drove Subaru's, Honda, etc. They were too much like the Escape in the dirt. The Sport is a perfect combination of road/off road for what I need.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Owned a 79 bronco long ago, test drove the new ones as I have a lease set to expire in June. I liked the features it offered and smaller footprint to park. Also liked the various travel options to go out and adventure a little. Planning to mountain bike a lot and your some backwoods/beach front destinations as our nest is emptying with both kids in college and their futures ahead.
Why should YOU get one? Taken it for a test drive. You'll know right away. I did, and it confirmed my choice.

BroncoHawaii

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi Folks

I put the 100 deposit down on a Bronco Sport back in September. I currently have a 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman manual with 170,000 that has been good to me but doesnt have much more time left on the road. Prior to the Mini I had a Subaru Outback 06 xt that i had fun with and sold once it reached 180k. Im ready for a new car not necessarily something Im gonna keep for 10 years, maybe 3-5. Im a little nervy about buying a car the first year it comes out( if there are glitches). Reasons I want a Bronco Sport....I love camping and roadtrips, I have a 90 pound german shepherd, ilike the simplicity, design, functionality of the sport and trad bronco.. Reasons I might not want one....mpg and price point not great as far as incentives and OTD offerings.That being said Im a no frills kinda gal. My first car i bought in the 80s was a 73 Ghia and I had that baby for almost 20 years. It was fun to drive ( you could talk and drive and listen to music and drive but not do all 3)Loud, simple and fun! I have test driven jeeps and they are ok(but not my thing)I went the complete opposite direction and test drove a Honda CRV today. The CRV was smooth, had great cargo space, great mpg and the interior was really nice.The trim above base model is OTD 3,000 bones less than the Big Bend MSRP( not including taxes)The CRV also is sooo boring. So convince me why I should get the Sport or wait for the Bronco. Im just a working shlub who works at a school and the last time I checked money wasn't falling off trees. I am fortunate to have been employed this past year and I am grateful. Oh one more thing i'm commuting to my school about 400 miles a week now. This time next year i hope to put on half as many miles a week. Thanks in advance everyone.
I have a Subaru 2020 Crosstrek Premium and a Bronco Sport. I love them both. The Bronco just feels a lot tougher and it does have all the bells and whistles that the Sub does. Both are great and I get the same gas mileage 29+/- on both. You don't need to go off roading with the Sport it handles great on the highway and on the back roads I travel to get home. Definitely get the Sport...better than any SUV out there.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Deciding to purchase would be your personal choice. A lot of comparisons and reviews out there for you to decide. Not to mention all of the posts on this forum.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Coming from a 2014 manual FWD CX-5, I wanted automatic (bad knees), AWD for WI winters and some tech I've resisted all my life (heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start). Being 6'7", I could not wear most smaller SUVs comfortably and did not want to roll the cash for larger one. Mileage also mattered as I have a long commute (at lease after all this COVID stuff settles).

Having driven Fords for the better part of my life (Mustang, Ranger, Thunderbird) I've always liked the quality and style so when the Bronco came around I reserved an Outer Banks as a birthday present. After the test drive I was sold. Very comfy and roomy for my size. My wife, who hated the comfort of the Mazda, loves the OB.

After 3000 miles still loving it. Great in the winter ice and snow. Great on the open roads and highway. The 1.5L has plenty of power for me, and much more than the CX-5 which had the same HP and torque specs. The only thing that I would change on it is the all season tires. After this summer, I'm putting A/T tires on.

Bird

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Funny, when I was a teenager, my dream car was a Karmann Ghia!

You should take the full size Bronco off the list completely. Why pay the extra expense for serious off-roading capabilities that wonā€™t be used? I have to agree that the CRV is boring. I call those ā€œbubblemobile station wagonsā€. I guess looks are pretty important to me! I hate the rounded shape of so many compact SUVs. I prefer a boxier, rugged look. I will say that the Bronco Sport gas mileage is better than I expected, if the carā€™s read-out is accurate.
We previously had a 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, which I miss, but the Bronco Sport is roomier with better cargo space, and better gas mileage. My husband didnā€™t want another Renegade, but I did! Anyhoo, so far, I really like the Bronco Sport but we havenā€™t driven it on the beach yet, so our jury is still out on its light off-roading capabilities. ?
Sponsored

Last edited: