Considering getting this tune from Livernois. Its 50 state CARB legal.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
I had one of their tunes on my 2017 Ford Escape. I was very pleased with it. It did increase horsepower quite a bit, but more importantly it let the transmission be more performance oriented. I think that was the greatest attribute.

Livernois Motorsport tune
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Just my opinion but I don’t want to just see the peak increase numbers, I want to see a dyno chart to see what the tune does across the rpm range. I don’t know why a company that sells tunes would not proudly display information like that unless there is something they don’t want me to know.

OP
OP
SgtT11B

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my opinion but I don’t want to just see the peak increase numbers, I want to see a dyno chart to see what the tune does across the rpm range. I don’t know why a company that sells tunes would not proudly display information like that unless there is something they don’t want me to know.

Torque is massively increased. Topend not so much, as the stock turbos are pretty near maxed out. Like I said I had this on my 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 Titanium and it turned that car into borderline hotrod.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
As a long-time member of the Mustang EcoBoost community, I can say one thing with certainty: Installing a tune like this is the number one risk factor for blowing up your EcoBoost engine. Some people install these tunes and drive their cars for tens of thousands of miles without an issue. Others don't have that kind of luck. The Mustang EcoBoost forum I used to post on had a running poll of people who experienced catastrophic engine failure. At last count (somewhere near 40) all but two who reported such a failure were running a tune. I'm almost certain at least one of them was using the tune offered by Livernois.

BTW, the way these tunes work is by reducing or eliminating the safeguards built in to the OEM software to protect your engine. The PCM constantly monitors ambient conditions and engine operating data, and adjusts engine operation to prevent operation in the danger zones where a catastrophic failure can occur. These tunes replace the OEM software, allowing the engine to operate further and longer in those danger zones so that it can produce more power.

If you decide to install a tune just be aware you are playing Russian roulette with your engine. It may hold together, it may not. Because your warranty won't cover any damage caused by use of such a tune, I would not use one at all unless you have the money on hand to replace the engine—my estimate is between $10K-$12K after you pay for a new engine, the labor to install it, and a rental car for the time your car will sit and wait for parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SgtT11B

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a long-time member of the Mustang EcoBoost community, I can say one thing with certainty: Installing a tune like this is the number one risk factor for blowing up you EcoBoost engine. Some people install these tunes and drive their cars for tens of thousands of miles without an issue. Others don't have that kind of luck. The Mustang EcoBoost forum I used to post on had a running poll of people who experienced catastrophic engine failure. At last count (somewhere near 40) all but two who reported such a failure were running a tune. I'm almost certain at least one of them was using the tune offered by Livernois.

BTW, the way these tunes work is by reducing or eliminating the safeguards built in to the OEM software to protect your engine. The PCM constantly monitors ambient conditions and engine operating data, and adjusts engine operation to prevent operation in the danger zones where a catastrophic failure can occur. These tunes replace the OEM software, allowing the engine to operate further and longer in those danger zones so that it can produce more power.

If you decide to install a tune just be aware you are playing Russian roulette with your engine. It may hold together, it may not. Because your warranty won't cover any damage caused by use of such a tune, I would not use one at all unless you have the money on hand to replace the engine—my estimate is between $10K-$12K after you pay for a new engine, the labor to install it, and a rental car for the time your car will sit and wait for parts.

The Livernois tune isn't that aggressive. I am very aware of the Ecoboom from the Mustang world. They were pushing these cars way beyond what the BS would be pushed. Remember even Ford Racing released a tune and CAI package for the 2.0 Focus ST and they had no issues with them blowing up because they did keep a lot of the safety parameters in place. In fact Ford Performance has a tune for the 2.3 Litre Mustang Ecoboost. It only makes 35rwhp more than OEM but increases torque and sharpens the transmission. Livernois is in the same boat.

Like I said I had this tune on my 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 and had no issues for the 3 years I had it. It really is a modest tune that doesn't push the envelope. It just brings the torque up a tad and sharpen the transmission response. To each his own. I am more worried about coolant intrusion with this thing than I am a mild tune from Livernois.

I will say this though, this BS BL that I have I think I am going to keep her for quite a while. The only tune I would do if Ford Performance came out with a power kit like they did for my 2020 Mustang GT.
Sponsored