Confusing guidance in manual for Full-sized Bronco.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hey Admin, if you think this is off-topic please just move it to the off-topic forum. I think there may be implications for Bronco Sport owners.

I watched the video below yesterday from a Ford tech working on a full-sized Bronco with a damaged transfer case. If you watch carefully, he says some things I found very confusing, especially regarding choice of 4WD mode. Here's the video:

The tech claims that driving the Bronco with 4A selected is bad for the vehicle, and can result in loss of warranty. I'm not sure I agree with him. There are warnings in the Owner's Manual similar to those in the manual for the Bronco Sport about driving on dry pavement with 4WD locked in. The BS manual says doing so can damage the clutches used in the power transfer unit (transfer case in the video) and the rear differential.

What's confusing is the tech in this video seems to suggest that use of the 4A 4WD mode is under the same restrictions. However, I've found several sources online that say 4A mode is essentially the same as the intelligent 4WD system in the BS in that it automatically adjusts power based on conditions, and is perfectly suitable for use on dry pavement.

The full-sized Bronco manual states:

Four-wheel drive auto provides electronically controlled four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction in varying on-road conditions.
That sounds to me like Ford expects owners to use 4A in situations where conditions might be changing. There are no restrictions I can find saying that 4A cannot be used on dry pavement.

So how does this apply to the Bronco Sport? I think it highlights the importance of owners knowing their vehicles. Sometimes you see a YouTube video by a "Ford Technician" and you think, "Gee, he must be right." Well, maybe not. You should thoroughly understand the restrictions and limitations of the systems in your vehicle so you can argue intelligently with service techs, who are clearly not infallible.

It also highlights the fact it is possible to damage your vehicle if you don't operate it properly. I'm fairly certain the transfer case in this vehicle was not damaged by the owner's use of 4A mode, but there was clearly a great deal of stress placed on the component at one time or another. It may have been extended use of 4H or 4L on dry pavement, but I tend to think it more likely that something the tow company did is the culprit.

Regardless, you can avoid damaging your car by following the guidance in your owner's manual as it applies to the 4WD system: don't manually lock the system in 4WD or select a drive mode that locks 4WD or the rear diff if you are on dry pavement.
Sponsored

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Hey Admin, if you think this is off-topic please just move it to the off-topic forum. I think there may be implications for Bronco Sport owners.

I watched the video below yesterday from a Ford tech working on a full-sized Bronco with a damaged transfer case. If you watch carefully, he says some things I found very confusing, especially regarding choice of 4WD mode. Here's the video:

The tech claims that driving the Bronco with 4A selected is bad for the vehicle, and can result in loss of warranty. I'm not sure I agree with him. There are warnings in the Owner's Manual similar to those in the manual for the Bronco Sport about driving on dry pavement with 4WD locked in. The BS manual says doing so can damage the clutches used in the power transfer unit (transfer case in the video) and the rear differential.

What's confusing is the tech in this video seems to suggest that use of the 4A 4WD mode is under the same restrictions. However, I've found several sources online that say 4A mode is essentially the same as the intelligent 4WD system in the BS in that it automatically adjusts power based on conditions, and is perfectly suitable for use on dry pavement.

The full-sized Bronco manual states:

Four-wheel drive auto provides electronically controlled four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction in varying on-road conditions.
That sounds to me like Ford expects owners to use 4A in situations where conditions might be changing. There are no restrictions I can find saying that 4A cannot be used on dry pavement.

So how does this apply to the Bronco Sport? I think it highlights the importance of owners knowing their vehicles. Sometimes you see a YouTube video by a "Ford Technician" and you think, "Gee, he must be right." Well, maybe not. You should thoroughly understand the restrictions and limitations of the systems in your vehicle so you can argue intelligently with service techs, who are clearly not infallible.

It also highlights the fact it is possible to damage your vehicle if you don't operate it properly. I'm fairly certain the transfer case in this vehicle was not damaged by the owner's use of 4A mode, but there was clearly a great deal of stress placed on the component at one time or another. It may have been extended use of 4H or 4L on dry pavement, but I tend to think it more likely that something the tow company did is the culprit.

Regardless, you can avoid damaging your car by following the guidance in your owner's manual as it applies to the 4WD system: don't manually lock the system in 4WD or select a drive mode that locks 4WD or the rear diff if you are on dry pavement.
Hence why videos like this exits.

Doesn't matter what a service rep, technician, repair guy, etc ... say. What matters is what's written in the manual.

Warranty can only be denied if it goes against what's written in black and white. Not what Joe "i'm-an-oil-changer-part-time-mechanic" says.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'd agree and add, as I've done this by accident... engagement of 4A 4wd lock on dry pavement at crawling speed for short duration is not terminal. I've bumped the button moving out of a parking spot slowly navigating through parking. Stayed in a straight path, traveled maybe 50 yards at 10mph or less. Noticed the button and stopped, disengaged, cycled the drive knob and toggled the onscreen wheel power screen. Everything was normal, no issues. Consulted with my mechanic who is a hard core jeep offroader. He agreed no issues. If you drive at highway or expressway speed it can cook the clutch/cause 4wd damage so...yeah not a good deal.
My long ago bronco you had to get out and lock the front hubs then shift a floor shifter to 4H or 4L there was no mistake. I'd guess with the sport as an AWD/FWD/4WD it's less of an issue.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
That guy is spewing a lot of theories that aren't in the manual, some of them patently in conflict with the manual. If I were his manager and dealership owner, I'd be concerned that others who have been denied warranty claims in the past might see this and readdress through litigation. He outright said that he would deny a warranty claim based on a drive mode that isn't specifically proscribed in the manual - sorry dude, I don't think it works that way.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The Sport system will try to save itself from the driver by turning off the AWD system when it overheats, which it likely will if you try to drive with it locked in conditions it is not designed for.
Sponsored