Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Today marks my one week anniversary of taking possession of my Bronco Sport Badlands (with the Badlands Package). I wanted to take a minute to share a few of my thoughts about my experience so far.

1. Size: While it is definitely a small vehicle (shorter than my Fusion), it's height and maneuverability more than make up for that, in my opinion. The inside feels roomy and at no time do I feel like I'm missing out on interior space. I am able to see over other cars just fine while on the road. I also find myself backing in and out of spaces (especially my garage) easier because the BS isn't as long as other vehicles I've driven.
  2. "Nannies": I tried out adaptive cruise control and lane assist steering for the first time yesterday during a 40 minute trip to an outlet mall. Mind. Blown. Once I figured out the sweet spot for my steering wheel, I was able to keep one hand on the wheel without the car fussing at me for not having my hands attached. That's when the magic happened. I cruised for about 20 miles with the car practically driving itself. If you're in to that sort of thing, the hype is real.
  3. Crossbar Wind Noise: The day I picked up my BS, there was very noticeable wind noise present whenever I drove over 35mph. I thought I would have to just deal with it as this was my first vehicle with crossbars attached. Thanks to this forum, I realized that when my salesman installed my Yakima crossbars, he accidentally forgot to replace the rubber gaskets on the bottom of the crossbars. I removed the crossbars and installed the rubber gaskets along the bottom per the instructions. The sound difference improved dramatically. Now, there is no noise at all...only a minor whistling when I go over 75mph. Even then, I have to turn the radio down and force myself to notice it.
  4. Underseat storage: This one is minor, but that small space is perfect for my umbrella. I've always just had my umbrella on the floor alongside the driver's side door. Now, I have a perfect space for it. It's out of the way when I don't need it and very accessible when I do...without getting wet.
  5. Sync 3: I really wish Ford would've hooked us up with Sync 4 so we could have wireless Android Auto. I'm trying not to complain because Sync 3 trumps everything I had in my Fusion. But still...no Sync 4 was just idiotic.
  6. Lighting: These LED signature lights are BRIGHT! The whole fog light cornering thing is quite nice and makes a noticeable difference.
  7. Alto Blue: Because blue is my favorite color, I've always wanted a blue car. However, every car I've owned has been black because, to me, no car looks as nice as a black car when it's clean. Alto Blue is the best of both worlds. This color is either blue or black depending on how the sun hits it. Sometimes, it's literally both colors at once...LOL.
I don't have much more to talk about at the moment. Because of my recent schedule, I've only driven a little over 250 miles. But, I love driving this thing. I love the color. I love the features. Next month, I'm getting my windows tinted and a ceramic coating applied. I can't wait to find some trails so I can try my hand at off-roading for the first time.

I used to think I would feel some kinda way when the full-size Broncos start hitting the street later this year. But, my decision to cancel my Bronco reservation and grab a fully loaded BL+BL was the perfect decision for me. I have everything I need in a new vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
"Nannies":
I tried out adaptive cruise control and lane assist steering for the first time yesterday during a 40 minute trip to an outlet mall. Mind. Blown. Once I figured out the sweet spot for my steering wheel, I was able to keep one hand on the wheel without the car fussing at me for not having my hands attached. That's when the magic happened. I cruised for about 20 miles with the car practically driving itself. If you're in to that sort of thing, the hype is real.
Thanks for the review very helpful!

Just to clarify does yours have lane centering? Wife's 2020 Escape has lane assist but I'm not overly thrilled by how it works. Don't get me wrong it does what it claims.
Agreed the adaptive cruise is amazing allowing me to drive in stop and go urban traffic just steering on cruise control. The one issue I found was when it was in auto stop/start it would sometimes fail to resume when the car in front moved out of the way. Sort of nerve wracking the first time using it lol, but it's easy to get spoiled.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review very helpful!

Just to clarify does yours have lane centering? Wife's 2020 Escape has lane assist but I'm not overly thrilled by how it works. Don't get me wrong it does what it claims.
Agreed the adaptive cruise is amazing allowing me to drive in stop and go urban traffic just steering on cruise control. The one issue I found was when it was in auto stop/start it would sometimes fail to resume when the car in front moved out of the way. Sort of nerve wracking the first time using it lol, but it's easy to get spoiled.
Yeah...you're right. It's lane centering. I just named it wrong...my bad. But, it definitely works. There was only one time during a tight curve where I tugged on the wheel because I preferred to be a little more to the left of the lane I was in. Other than that, it worked fine and I would have no qualms about using it during a long distance trip.

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Today marks my one week anniversary of taking possession of my Bronco Sport Badlands (with the Badlands Package). I wanted to take a minute to share a few of my thoughts about my experience so far.

1. Size: While it is definitely a small vehicle (shorter than my Fusion), it's height and maneuverability more than make up for that, in my opinion. The inside feels roomy and at no time do I feel like I'm missing out on interior space. I am able to see over other cars just fine while on the road. I also find myself backing in and out of spaces (especially my garage) easier because the BS isn't as long as other vehicles I've driven.
  2. "Nannies": I tried out adaptive cruise control and lane assist steering for the first time yesterday during a 40 minute trip to an outlet mall. Mind. Blown. Once I figured out the sweet spot for my steering wheel, I was able to keep one hand on the wheel without the car fussing at me for not having my hands attached. That's when the magic happened. I cruised for about 20 miles with the car practically driving itself. If you're in to that sort of thing, the hype is real.
  3. Crossbar Wind Noise: The day I picked up my BS, there was very noticeable wind noise present whenever I drove over 35mph. I thought I would have to just deal with it as this was my first vehicle with crossbars attached. Thanks to this forum, I realized that when my salesman installed my Yakima crossbars, he accidentally forgot to replace the rubber gaskets on the bottom of the crossbars. I removed the crossbars and installed the rubber gaskets along the bottom per the instructions. The sound difference improved dramatically. Now, there is no noise at all...only a minor whistling when I go over 75mph. Even then, I have to turn the radio down and force myself to notice it.
  4. Underseat storage: This one is minor, but that small space is perfect for my umbrella. I've always just had my umbrella on the floor alongside the driver's side door. Now, I have a perfect space for it. It's out of the way when I don't need it and very accessible when I do...without getting wet.
  5. Sync 3: I really wish Ford would've hooked us up with Sync 4 so we could have wireless Android Auto. I'm trying not to complain because Sync 3 trumps everything I had in my Fusion. But still...no Sync 4 was just idiotic.
  6. Lighting: These LED signature lights are BRIGHT! The whole fog light cornering thing is quite nice and makes a noticeable difference.
  7. Alto Blue: Because blue is my favorite color, I've always wanted a blue car. However, every car I've owned has been black because, to me, no car looks as nice as a black car when it's clean. Alto Blue is the best of both worlds. This color is either blue or black depending on how the sun hits it. Sometimes, it's literally both colors at once...LOL.
I don't have much more to talk about at the moment. Because of my recent schedule, I've only driven a little over 250 miles. But, I love driving this thing. I love the color. I love the features. Next month, I'm getting my windows tinted and a ceramic coating applied. I can't wait to find some trails so I can try my hand at off-roading for the first time.

I used to think I would feel some kinda way when the full-size Broncos start hitting the street later this year. But, my decision to cancel my Bronco reservation and grab a fully loaded BL+BL was the perfect decision for me. I have everything I need in a new vehicle.

Nice write up. Iā€™ve had mine for just under 500 miles now. I noticed the ā€œfog light cornering thingā€ this morning and loved the feature.

Kraken

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I totally agree with your point 1 on size. Coming from a Mustang I'm still not use to having such a short hood and easy time turning into places. And backing up I'm always like "there's so much space!"

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nice write up!
I am at about 850 miles with mine and I haven't tried the adaptive cruise control at all. The way you describe it; it deserves a test run.
I totally agree with the Sync 3 thing, just a minor inconvenience... but c'mon.
The way that I have been describing its driving to the numerous people who flag me down at gas stations/super markets/etc is that "It feels like I'm driving a tank that handles like a silk handkerchief."
It is so fun to drive, I know you will have a blast once you find some trails to really dig into that G.O.A.T. mode!

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up!
I am at about 850 miles with mine and I haven't tried the adaptive cruise control at all. The way you describe it; it deserves a test run.
I totally agree with the Sync 3 thing, just a minor inconvenience... but c'mon.
The way that I have been describing its driving to the numerous people who flag me down at gas stations/super markets/etc is that "It feels like I'm driving a tank that handles like a silk handkerchief."
It is so fun to drive, I know you will have a blast once you find some trails to really dig into that G.O.A.T. mode!
I can't wait to get this thing dirty! So far, I've only touched the G.O.A.T. mode dial once. I was at a red light with no one in front of me. A voice out of nowhere whispered softly: "Go 'head...put it in Sport mode." I replied: "Not yet...I'm trying to responsibly break in the engine." The voice came back a little louder: "You gotta be effin' kiddin' me, bruh..."

So, I switched it and punched it when the light turned green. Maaaaaan...I'm coming from a Fusion Sport with a nice V6 engine. My Badlands has more pull off the jump than the damn Fusion. I found myself just giggling when I hit 60mph..?

But, yeah...try the adaptive cruise control with the lane centering at least once. It's some next-level sh*t.

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I can't wait to get this thing dirty! So far, I've only touched the G.O.A.T. mode dial once. I was at a red light with no one in front of me. A voice out of nowhere whispered softly: "Go 'head...put it in Sport mode." I replied: "Not yet...I'm trying to responsibly break in the engine." The voice came back a little louder: "You gotta be effin' kiddin' me, bruh..."

So, I switched it and punched it when the light turned green. Maaaaaan...I'm coming from a Fusion Sport with a nice V6 engine. My Badlands has more pull off the jump than the damn Fusion. I found myself just giggling when I hit 60mph..?

But, yeah...try the adaptive cruise control with the lane centering at least once. It's some next-level sh*t.
So what I did was drove in Sport, without over reving the engine, or trying to redline it, for miles 250-500(ish) and then 800-900 <Pedal very light, engine responsive pretty much immediately, feels snappy and engaging, rpm around 2500-3500>
Then in eco mode for about 500-700(ish), <Pedal feels heavier, engine does respond, but isn't in a rush, feels like earth day with your granny, but if you hammer that pedal, still responds, just takes a moment, rpm around 1000-2500>
Normal mode was miles 40-250 and then 700-800(ish). <Feels like it sounds. Normal. Too be honest, Eco and Normal felt pretty similar in that neither felt like what I wanted. Which is sports mode. Someone else could prolly give a better comparison between these two. rpm around 1500-2500>
Those are ishes cause the miles aren't exact and I had some offroading in there too which added miles. The rpm is a rating from where you will be in idle, to where the engine would rev up under reasonable conditions for the mode you are in.
You can get eco mode up to 4000 rpm+ it is just gonna take more input from you to get it there.
I feel like I drove a good mix of the modes for the first 1000 miles.
So Buck was out of comissision from last Sunday (4/18) -(4/25). So yesterday(Monday 4/26) was the first time I drove in a week, and to be honest the first 10 miles or so... it felt off. I just didn't feel the snap, or rush I had been experiencing, and I was thinking, "Well its been a week since you drove it... Maybe the new car thrill is worn off. It's still awesome and punchy."
Theeeenn I got to a red light, the engine went into auto start/stop and it dawned on me.
"I'm in normal mode."
I reached on down and flicked that nob, and when the light turned green I just lightly started to engage that pedal....
Man the endorphins that jumped from the accelerator and shot up my leg to my brain put the most shit eating grin on my face. As Buck built up momentum and started to get moving that "Built Wild" thrill filled me up like it was the first time.
I LOVE that sport mode. I'ma be in it 80% of the time. (responsibly of course) Damn the MPG. lol

Ford Bronco Sport Confessions of a Week-Long Badlands Owner IMG_3531[1].JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Confessions of a Week-Long Badlands Owner IMG_3531[1].JPG

Last edited:

broncobrother

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I totally agree with your point 1 on size. Coming from a Mustang I'm still not use to having such a short hood and easy time turning into places. And backing up I'm always like "there's so much space!"
How was your shift from the Mustang to the Bronco Sport? I actually have a mustang now and am thinking about buying the bronco sport today. And which trim level do you have?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
The size is definitely awesome. Itā€™s big enough without being too big. Itā€™s almost 18 inches shorter than the latest Subaru Outback?.

Iā€˜m also a fan of adaptive cruise.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yeah...you're right. It's lane centering. I just named it wrong...my bad. But, it definitely works. There was only one time during a tight curve where I tugged on the wheel because I preferred to be a little more to the left of the lane I was in. Other than that, it worked fine and I would have no qualms about using it during a long distance trip.
Well, to be fair Ford says the lane centering feature assists you. It was not meant to steer itself perfectly nor can it negotiate tight turns.

ā€œNote: The assistance steering torque is limited and may not be sufficient for all driving situations.ā€

Kraken

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
How was your shift from the Mustang to the Bronco Sport? I actually have a mustang now and am thinking about buying the bronco sport today. And which trim level do you have?
It was a bit of an adjustment, but not really in any negative way, everything was an improvement overall. I had a very old Accord in High School, then a 2005 Mustang, and now this Bronco Sport, so it's the first SUV type of vehicle I've ever driven. The drivability and comfort is fantastic. For me at first it felt a lot bigger than it really is. The biggest issue I had was seeing over the hood and estimating where the edges of the front end were. I would pull into a parking spot, get out, and there'd still be 2-3ft of space in front ?.

Biggest reason for going to this from a Mustang was the practicality. It got to be a pain not being able to haul anything larger than a big duffel bag, and I wanted to start kayaking and taking some dirt mountain roads to go camping, etc. That's not really happening in a Mustang.

I got the Base model, I didn't want the added cost and complexity of the Badlands for what I'll use it for. So between the other trims I was impatient and went with what was cheaper and available. I don't regret it, but if I could go back I might have waited a bit for a Big Bend to pop up in the color I wanted, the only ones the dealers had here were in Black which was a deal breaker for me.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
For me at first it felt a lot bigger than it really is.
As an F-150 owner, I'm still surprised when I'm backing out in the Sport: wait, there's no ass on this thing and it has a small turning radius? The designers did an excellent job of making it feel 'truckish.'
Sponsored