lalagirl

Big Bend
First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had my BS for 1 week before it presented with a powertrain malfunction alert and loss of power. I took to dealership and they replaced some sensor? thinking that was the issue. On the way back to deliver it to me it gave another alert for a different problem. They took it back to service and had the Ford engineers come to diagnose it. They said it was a faulty engine wiring harness (?) and that they had to completely rebuild it. That was 3 months ago. I got a call from the dealership telling me the part has been rebuilt and I should have my Bronco back by the end of the week. My question is.... Do I trust that this is now a durable vehicle, with little to no issues? Or has anyone else had this problem with a vehicle that just caused more and more issues down the road? I put in for a buy back from Ford about a month ago, but now that my bronco is ready, my husband wants to keep it. Thanks
Sponsored

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I had my BS for 1 week before it presented with a powertrain malfunction alert and loss of power. I took to dealership and they replaced some sensor? thinking that was the issue. On the way back to deliver it to me it gave another alert for a different problem. They took it back to service and had the Ford engineers come to diagnose it. They said it was a faulty engine wiring harness (?) and that they had to completely rebuild it. That was 3 months ago. I got a call from the dealership telling me the part has been rebuilt and I should have my Bronco back by the end of the week. My question is.... Do I trust that this is now a durable vehicle, with little to no issues? Or has anyone else had this problem with a vehicle that just caused more and more issues down the road? I put in for a buy back from Ford about a month ago, but now that my bronco is ready, my husband wants to keep it. Thanks
Ooo. That's a tough call. Years ago I bought an Eagle Talon. New. Two months old the timing belt broke. Destroyed the engine. Engine replaced. Got three recalls on that timing belt. Then the transmission went. Two replacement transmissions later....That car taught me a lot. I loved it, when it ran. No matter how much I love a car, I will never put up with that crap again. I said the same about my Bronco. I absolutely love it. Mine has been trouble free for almost 2000 miles. But if it starts to give me continuous trouble, warranty or no, it's history. Maybe give your Bronco another chance, then decide?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It's a new model with bugs. A wiring harness can go wrong in any vehicle. My approach? If it's replaced and rebuilt it's probably good to go worry free. Like others said might be a tough call, hate to think more could be at play. Buddy of mine worked for stelantis/fca/jeep. He said when the nitro came out it was one big harness controlling everything, ran right down the center of the vehicle said it was the dumbest thing they ever came up with.

Last edited:

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Ask for an extended warranty or a deal on one.
That is a good idea, at the least.

With Ford having the vehicle that long, and bringing in engineering, they no doubt benefited from a QC development standpoint at the owner's expense. At the very least, they should provide a replacement vehicle at reduced cost or an extremely good warranty, like 100,000 miles/ten years.

From a customer satisfaction standpoint, this event would definitely and legitimately shake your confidence in the vehicle, and possibly the brand itself depending on how Ford handles it.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
That is a tough call. I can understand
This is definitely a bummer. But look at this way, the wiring harness is complicated and prone to possible miss-haps during construction which could definitely happen to any human. If Ford replaced the entire loom, I would call that "of special interest" and I bet they will monitor. I would move forward lala. I think your troubles are behind you.

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
Check out my thread here https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/almost-left-me-stranded-with-only-206-miles-on-it.2171/

Idk about rebuilding the harness, but I did have to have mine removed and replaced and there was some unfortunate disassembly in the process, mine is making an odd noise since the repair. It’s very unfortunate.

Do you have your repair ticket by chance? I’d like to see it.
I would give Ford corporate a call and be quite firm about your lack of trust in the vehicle. They covered me for 6/75k moving forward.

Edit - I will say between my own failure, seeing yours, others here on the boards having random electrical issues (like different assists shutting off), I am curious/concerned that at least some batches escaped the factory with some sort of electrical issue, whether supplier or install related.

Broncomom

Badlands
First Name
Jodi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I had the wire harness completely rebuild in my bronco at less than 8,000. I am now back in the shop with what appears to be the same problem.

Broncomom

Badlands
First Name
Jodi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
my bronco had the same problem. ford rebuilt it. I am now back in the shop for the same problem.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If it's still under warranty it shouldn't be an issue. If the problem happens again you could possibly invoke the lemon law.
Someone else here is having wiring issues as well causing drivetrain issues.
Sponsored