Compact SUV in 2022 and the Bronco Sport

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
With all the threads I've shared my sarcastic..."whit??" I figured this was a good catch all for what I've observed. My wife recently started (and to my shock quickly ended) her search for a replacement to a jeep compass. It's been a great vehicle for her but...the new model eliminated a favorite color in a olive green metallic. The new Chevy Blazer caught her eye, and our daughter had a 20 year old beetle that wouldn't quit so off we went.
She was hard pressed against the bronco/sport/escape because I have one. Fair enough...but bad idea on her part. So she goes to a Chevy dealer in a LARGE market...they have no blazer available and to build her wishes it would take TEN MONTHS...maybe eight if everything went well. Can we look at a ...NO...lot was bare. All incoming cars were tagged for buyers through August, and honestly the blazer was crap...for $48K mid level package. Pass
On to VW. She liked the Tiguan, mixed reviews but it's a VW. Had some nice interior and exterior features. No inventory to sell, we test drove the dealers personal car...yeah. priced a bit above the blazer, no availability in sight, and ZERO incentives. VW does not offer $1000, $100, tank of gas. Nada. No idea when order banks would open or if ever they'd be able to help. He was real straight, not blowing us off...he let is drive his personal car so we had an idea...and...pass...just no options in sight.
Ford...yep got her to Ford. Had a solid explorer which is now three rows with MANY of the pipe dream wishes so many sport owners dream of...electric lift gate, soft comfy leather matching seats, third row...a lot of luxury items. This was one sweet mall crawler. It could curb bump the nicest of subdivisions and look sweet at any parade or Sunday gathering. Way beyond my price point and far more uh...metal than she needed. No escapes, and a sport/bronco was just no...
JEEP- so...zero jeep compass available, we live five miles from a jeep plant..nada . So Cherokee slightly more expensive and slightly barely different from a compass now. Priced..well above the compass (inline with the sport) and not widely available. So on to the grand Cherokee...much bigger much nicer...well beyond the sport/compass pricing. Many of the awesome mall capable features but...none available again... probably 3-5 months to build. Offered her $4K cash over her payoff for her compass due to inventory. She drove off the lot with a Grand Cherokee L for less than the Cherokee..and way more metal than she needed. In the end they threw massive breaks at her as it was in the fleet too long and tax penalties were coming. I got a first responder break, piled on, and she negotiated a great deal. If we ever need lawyers...I'm a dead man...she's good...šŸ¤£šŸ˜³
Bottom line...shopping SUV options in 2022 proved a few things. EVERY major dealer is getting hit and hurt hard with supply and ordering processes. Likewise bronco sport price point offers the best features for the money on the table. And while orders seemingly take forever...compared to others Ford has their shit together and it's getting better. They had more cars on their lot than any of the dealers we visited. These are huge market high volume priority one lots...bare bones. It's a scary market. Nobody wants to wait, nobody wants a lemon. Stop blaming Ford for all the issues, prices, wants, and cherry blossom wishes...go ahead and find something better...good luck.
Sponsored

J-Riv

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Went and test drove a BMW X3 for my mom yesterday, and the dealer seemed to have plenty on the lot to try (Florida). It was about as loaded as that trim of the X3 came and was just shy of 49k. Canā€™t imagine a Chevy offering the same luxury and ride quality, yet somehow being priced the same!

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Had a solid explorer which is now three rows with MANY of the pipe dream wishes so many sport owners dream of...electric lift gate, soft comfy leather matching seats, third row...a lot of luxury items. This was one sweet mall crawler.
I'd seriously consider an Explorer if I needed something bigger than the Sport. I recently parked next to a Timberline trim and the dark green is gorgeous (Ford makes the best greens in the business).

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Went and test drove a BMW X3 for my mom yesterday, and the dealer seemed to have plenty on the lot to try (Florida). It was about as loaded as that trim of the X3 came and was just shy of 49k. Canā€™t imagine a Chevy offering the same luxury and ride quality, yet somehow being priced the same!
A coworker was also able to pick up a X3 after his car was totaled. One of the few dealerships with something on the lot he was interested in getting.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Guaranteed it did not. I was truly shocked. Never been a Chevy fan, this sealed it. Surprising they have that many on the lots. In the greater Detroit circle it's been a ghost town.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Hope she enjoys the Grand Cherokee L & itā€™s good for her! Honestly yes the explorer is a nice vehicle if you need that much metal. Iā€™m happy to be into a smaller size, but you do give up some things to be sure.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Consumers always seem to be getting pushed into bigger vehicles than they need.
Sponsored