jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Wind noise is a very real drawback to having a roof platform or large crossbars. I need the extra storage (and ability to haul long things like surf rods or 2x4s), so I was always going to have a platform. However, I'd been less than thrilled by the amount of extra wind noise, especially when things are mounted on the platform. I've been looking for a good option for fairings for awhile. I'm quite happy with what I've settled on, especially the mounting approach. I did this a few months ago, and I've been meaning to add a bit here in the hope it's useful for other folks.

The sport has a surprisingly large gap between any platform or crossbars and the top of the roof in front. As a result, it can be hard to find wind fairings that actually fit. I'd been struggling to find a good option for a wind fairing to sit in front of / underneath my Yakima platform, as Yakima's fairings are a bit too small and are a bit clunky to mount on the platform (they're meant for crossbars).

Based on measurements, the "large" size of standard fairing from Colorado Fairing Company (i.e. 42.5" x 9") seemed to be a good fit. It's one of the few I've seen that is high enough to close most of the area beneath the platform off from wind.

It fits well, but I didn't love the default mounting system....

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220911_231028623

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220911_231038696

By default, the mounting system uses rubber straps that extend over the top of whatever crossbar/etc, you're using. There are slots that allow it to be bolted to platforms/slotted crossbars, but it's still too short to be able to put the brackets on top of the platform where the slots are to bolt things. (There's also supposed to be a third bracket in the middle, but I'm skipping it here.)

The rubber straps seem quite secure, but having rubber straps over the top of the platform blocks some of the things I need to mount there. Also, if you use the rubber straps, you can't quite snug the fairing up against the platform, which doesn't impact functionality, but it leaves a bit of a large gap, as you can see above.

The Yakima platforms actually have a small wind deflector built in. It fits in a slot on the inside edge of the platform and can easily be removed and re-installed:
Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport yakima_wind_deflector_removal

I decided to use this slot to mount the wind fairing, which avoids taking up space on the top of the platform.

The slot is a uniform width the entire length and does not have an easy way of fitting standard t-bolts that fit the top into it, as a result. It's the same inside dimensions, but without a larger opening, you're limited to things you can angle in. I happened to have two trapezoidal t-nuts from a different product that could be easily "angled in". I'm sure there's a cheaper and easier place to find them, but they were these: https://moonfab.com/products/sprinter-rail-anchors

I picked up some M6 machine screws and small L-brackets from the hardware store to put together a way to mount the fairing. This wound up being much more secure and fit a lot better than the default way of mounting the fairing:

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220917_172712357

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220917_172718468

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220917_172747465

The wing nuts will shake loose eventually. They were only temporary, as the hardware store happened to be out of lock nuts in the right size. I've since replaced them, and with lock nuts, I haven't had any issues with things shaking loose.

I'm very happy with the result overall. It looks good, I have full use of the top of the platform, and it seems even more secure than the default method of mounting the fairing. I didn't use the third/middle mounting bracket, as I didn't have a third trapezoidal nut, but two seems quite secure when they're bolted in place, and I don't feel like I need the third.

For folks who have a Yakima platform and are wanting a wind fairing, this might be a particularly useful approach. Even if you don't, the Colorado Fairing Company "large" size fits perfectly on the sport, so hopefully that's useful info as well.

Wind noise has been dramatically decreased at interstate speeds (back down to almost what it was without the platform), and my gas mileage seems to be 1-2 mpg higher at those speeds as well. I haven't rigorously tested the mileage as much, so it may not be that large of an effect, but the wind noise reduction alone is well worth it.

I've since adjusted it a bit to have a bit more of an outward curve, and it fits perfectly. There are no longer the small gaps you'll see at the corners below. It just needed to bow out in the middle a bit more, as it's designed to do.

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport PXL_20220917_172813380

Either way, I like it, and I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting one of the fancy color/skin options on the fairing!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Right on. Imma think about this one. It looks good and I would like a couple mph back. I have the perimeter rails too so I took quite a bonk on the ole tank. And it sits in enough on the sides as not to interfere with my slim shady.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Do report back on noise and mpg’s with with your engine.

mjp78

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL
Perfect timing on this post. They are doing a 25% off cyber Monday coupon today and tomorrow.

bbednar

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Here's another option for you, 46" x 12" Colorado Fairing Company Fairing with a reverse smile.

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport 20221020_155655

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport 20221020_150812

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport 20221020_150822

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport 20221020_155634

Ford Bronco Sport Colorado Fairing Co Wind Fairing + Yakima Platform Mounting on Bronco Sport 20221020_155810
Sponsored